Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which pigtail for mobile charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my MY on Monday and just realized I need a pigtail adapter for the mobile charger to plug into my 14-50 outlet.

I only see a Gen 2 NEMA adapter on Tesla’s website, is there a Gen 3? Will this pigtail fit the charger that comes with the car?

thanks

Picking up my MY on Monday and just realized I need a pigtail adapter for the mobile charger to plug into my 14-50 outlet.

I only see a Gen 2 NEMA adapter on Tesla’s website, is there a Gen 3? Will this pigtail fit the charger that comes with the car?

thanks
Telsa offers a lot of adapters for different outlets. They only provide the 5-15 with the car.

You obviously need the 14-50, but should also consider getting the 5-20, 6-20 and 14-30 adapters while you are at it.

Order from the Tesla website.

No--the 2nd generation is what the mobile charging cables are on right now, so that's the correct one. You may be getting this confused with people who are talking about a 3rd generation of WALL connectors, but that's not related to the mobile charging cords, which use those adapters.

Telsa offers a lot of adapters for different outlets. They only provide the 5-15 with the car.

You obviously need the 14-50, but should also consider getting the 5-20, 6-20 and 14-30 adapters while you are at it.

Order from the Tesla website.

I considered getting the whole bundle but ended up just getting a 14-50. I only use it at home but intend to use it at camp grounds in the future, and haven't had an occasion to use the others yet even if I had them. How much use do you get out of the other plugs?

I considered getting the whole bundle but ended up just getting a 14-50. I only use it at home but intend to use it at camp grounds in the future, and haven't had an occasion to use the others yet even if I had them. How much use do you get out of the other plugs?
I've never used the 14-50

We charge at home on a 14-30

I've used the 5-20 and the 6-20 for charging at relatives. I used the 5-20 once at a parking garage.

Reactions: LoudMusic
Wound up being a moot point. My electrician was able to get out to the house the day of my delivery and install my Gen 3 home charger.... charges at 10kw at home now. I haven't even unpacked the mobile charger that came with it.

Wound up being a moot point. My electrician was able to get out to the house the day of my delivery and install my Gen 3 home charger.... charges at 10kw at home now. I haven't even unpacked the mobile charger that came with it.
I'm assuming the electrician installed the Tesla wall charger? If he did so with a 60 amp CB you should be able to charge at 48 amps or 11.5 kW.

I'm assuming the electrician installed the Tesla wall charger? If he did so with a 60 amp CB you should be able to charge at 48 amps or 11.5 kW.
From the earlier posts in the thread, stating that he already had a 14-50 outlet installed, I am presuming this means that it was just replacing the receptacle with the wall connector, so it's still on that 50A circuit, not a 60A.

From the earlier posts in the thread, stating that he already had a 14-50 outlet installed, I am presuming this means that it was just replacing the receptacle with the wall connector, so it's still on that 50A circuit, not a 60A.

My 14-50 is on a 60A circuit. So long as the plug (and device using it) are lower amps than the cable in the wall and the fuse in the box it is OK. Just don't go the other way! :D

And to take it a step further, then mobile connector is only 32A anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
My 14-50 is on a 60A circuit. So long as the plug (and device using it) are lower amps than the cable in the wall and the fuse in the box it is OK. Just don't go the other way! :D
NO! It is NOT #$%ing OK. This is a very specific violation of electric code. You are NEVER allowed to have a 14-50 outlet with a 60A breaker EVER.
Advantages of Wall Connector vs Mobile Connector?

NEC section 210.21(B)(1) says that the rating of the overcurrent protection device must be no higher than the rating of the receptacle. That is a 50A outlet type, so the breaker must be no higher than 50A. Period.

Interestingly enough, you actually can go the other way. You are allowed to use breakers that are smaller than the outlet type. You might have premature nuisance breaker tripping, but that is more safe than current going too high and melting the wire and receptacle, while it's still not high enough to trip a breaker that is too high a rating. That's why they spec the limit that way.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl

This is accurate. It’s on a 50a breaker, so I limited the wall charger is limited to 40a. Car charges at 10kw which is just fine and well within the capacity of the circuit.

Putting a 14-50 on a 60a breaker would be a total code violation, you’d be allowing yourself to draw more power through the outlet than it’s rated for. Keep a fire extinguisher handy and have someone on watch...

Reactions: Rocky_H