Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who builds the Model 3 and Y production differentials?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s built into the motor housing/reduction gear, so seems like something that Tesla may be building themselves, though perhaps they have suppliers doing the aluminum forging or building the gears.

Reactions: tstolze
I've heard rumors it's Dana building them but still trying find the real answer. If we can find who builds them then we can figure out if the dimensions are the same as an off the shelf diff that Dana or someone else builds so we can find the posi-unit for them. I know Unplugged performance sells one but I want to look deeper as Tesla uses tons of off the shelf Ford parts in their cars and Dana builds a lot of Ford diffs. Like I said just looking deeper.

I've heard rumors it's Dana building them but still trying find the real answer. If we can find who builds them then we can figure out if the dimensions are the same as an off the shelf diff that Dana or someone else builds so we can find the posi-unit for them. I know Unplugged performance sells one but I want to look deeper as Tesla uses tons of off the shelf Ford parts in their cars and Dana builds a lot of Ford diffs. Like I said just looking deeper.
If there are any markings on it to indicate the manufacturer, I'm sure Professor John Kelly would have probably seen it. You could ask him
(past the 3 minute mark)

Reactions: Sam1