Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Else Had ICE Ruined For Them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the market for something sporty a few years ago and developed a list that included Corvette, Mustang, BMW Z3, Miata, Porsche Boxster, and Jaguar F-Type. I even road tested some of them. All of them were dropped when I drove an EV and put down a reservation for a Model 3.

Reactions: DaBagBoy
I was in the market for something sporty a few years ago and developed a list that included Corvette, Mustang, BMW Z3, Miata, Porsche Boxster, and Jaguar F-Type. I even road tested some of them. All of them were dropped when I drove an EV and put down a reservation for a Model 3.

I traded my 2019 Corvette Grand Sport for a M3P+. The M3P+ has all the handling I can use on the street and is faster than the Corvette. The only thing I miss at times is the V8 exhaust note but other than a V8 or expensive exotic what other ICE engine note actually sounds any good? I would rather have silence from the Tesla.

I must say, I still enjoy driving and enjoying my V8 ICE vehicle. Gotta love that LS3.

66227D10-5767-4C86-916A-E721D6D1CE28.jpeg

I am thinking about buying a Tesla, likely the 3 because it apparently handles better than the others. I have test driven the X. There is no question in my mind that electric cars are the future, and if you can charge them at home overnight (I cannot), I think there time has arrived outside of the cost issue. The Teslas are decidedly pricy. The 3 is worth it to me because I am into performance cars. But at around $80,000ish for the others, it makes little economic sense, particularly for those for whom performance is not a major factor. One can buy a comparable gas car for less than half that. But the ICE's days are numbered. The cost of electric cars will keep coming down. Of course, if the source of electricity is coal, the benefit of driving on electric car on climate change is small (though, I am told, not zero--easier to regulate a coal plant than a bunch of car owners).

1) go test drive a dual motor Model 3, preferably a Performance version. It's a great driver's car, far more so than the X, or even the P100D which may be quicker but drives far more ponderously. It's also now a pretty decent value at less than $60k. That's less than any BMW M3 Competition, Alfa Romeo QF, Lexus ISF, or any MB AMG 6.3, all of which guzzle gas like drunken sailors, but none of them beat the Model 3 DMP on the street or around the track.

2) The Model 3 is safer, more economical to operate, and frankly easier to drive than any competing sports sedan

Those are cool.

That said, I ran next to a modded SS on one of my first few drag strip runs - it wasn’t close, despite how great the SS sounded. Spoke with the driver later - to say he was surprised would be an understatement. :D

That is why it is so difficult to ever consider going back to ICE based vehicle. Even the best engines and fastest transmissions will be slower than a Tesla. While folks are excited about how fast their new DCT will shift the Tesla requires no shift. Throttle response in an ICE requires time for the air to fill the cylinders or turbos to spool up vs. sending electrons to the from the battery to the electric motor. ICE just seems so archaic now once you get used to electric powertrains.

I do miss the V8 rumble from time to time but there are only a few types of vehicles that would cause you to turn the radio off and listen to the exhaust. V8s with a good exhaust and crazy expensive exotics. Other than that most vehicles sound pretty bad and the noise reduction from an EV is more desirable.

Improved handling, Weight reduction, magnetic ride suspension, sportier interiors and exterior are the things I look forward to in future EVs