Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Else Had ICE Ruined For Them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wrong. This is misinformation. Do you actually own a Tesla?

We routinely stop ~every three hours or so, for 25-35 minutes in many long distance trips we have made both north of (Canada) and south of (Florida) our home in New England. After hitting the restrooms, getting a snack, stretching our legs, we find that we actually spend on average AT MOST an extra 5-10 waiting for the car to charge up, and if we are having a major meal stop, the car is always charged up before we finish eating. You are spreading disinformation.

That's not what I said though. I know that practically it's not that much of an advantage. But technically you could fill up an ICE in just a few minutes and jump right back on the road for another 300 miles. I know that practically people don't actually do that, and that they need to get out and use the bathroom and eat some food, but technically you can fill up and be on the road significantly faster in an ICE. I also know that in a Tesla you can stop more frequently and keep the car in the goldilocks zone so that it only takes a few minutes to get enough charge to make it to the next super charger, but that still requires more stops even if they are relatively quick.

As I said above I think that battery technology that allows them to increase range will fix this problem more than technology that allows them to charge faster. If you can give the car more range than anyone would want to practically drive in a single day then they wouldn't worry about it at all. And when they did stop, not because they had to but because they wanted to, they could plug in and take whatever they could get in that time and then just go on their way when they were done.

That's not what I said though. I know that practically it's not that much of an advantage. But technically you could fill up an ICE in just a few minutes and jump right back on the road for another 300 miles. I know that practically people don't actually do that, and that they need to get out and use the bathroom and eat some food, but technically you can fill up and be on the road significantly faster in an ICE. I also know that in a Tesla you can stop more frequently and keep the car in the goldilocks zone so that it only takes a few minutes to get enough charge to make it to the next super charger, but that still requires more stops even if they are relatively quick.

As I said above I think that battery technology that allows them to increase range will fix this problem more than technology that allows them to charge faster. If you can give the car more range than anyone would want to practically drive in a single day then they wouldn't worry about it at all. And when they did stop, not because they had to but because they wanted to, they could plug in and take whatever they could get in that time and then just go on their way when they were done.

You are backtracking, backfilling and backpedaling. What you said that was counterfactual was that it takes an hour for people to charge fully at a supercharger. That's just plain wrong and again you are spreading misinformation.

I supercharged my car for the first time the other day just for kicks since I normally don't drive enough to even need to. I was floored at how fast it was charging. I was getting like 139kw for a while before it tapered down to about 88kw as I approached 80%. It jammed enough electrons in there in 20 minutes to go another 150 miles. You go to the bathroom, get a drink check some emails and you are off. Very doable and it will only get better over time.

You can fill up an ICE car in 5 minutes and get on your way. It takes over an hour to fill a Tesla to 100% even using a supercharger
It is unclear to me whether or not you have any actual experience doing long trips in a Tesla. I have done tens of thousands of miles of multi-day trips. In reality you almost never need to charge to 100%; I’m sure many Tesla owners never do that. With a modicum of planning, most of the time charging is fast and easy and takes very little extra time, as @dfwatt accurately points out.

It is unclear to me whether or not you have any actual experience doing long trips in a Tesla. I have done tens of thousands of miles of multi-day trips. In reality you almost never need to charge to 100%; I’m sure many Tesla owners never do that. With a modicum of planning, most of the time charging is fast and easy and takes very little extra time, as @dfwatt accurately points out.

I think what he's doing looks like trolling. He doesn't seem to know that you're not really supposed to charge to 100% if you can avoid it. We've never had to charge past 95% on any trip. Hence my question about whether this guy owns any Tesla or just likes provoking those of us on Tesla forums.

I think what he's doing looks like trolling. He doesn't seem to know that you're not really supposed to charge to 100% if you can avoid it. We've never had to charge past 95% on any trip. Hence my question about whether this guy owns any Tesla or just likes provoking those of us on Tesla forums.

Hes not trolling, he just doesnt know because he doesnt have one yet (at least pretty sure he doesnt, a few different threads about leasing one). It IS true if one is trying to time refueling stops like pit stops a person might be a bit faster in a gas car.. but it sure isnt 5 minutes vs 1 hour as first said.

Reactions: dfwatt
That happened 8 years ago when I got my 2011 Nissan LEAF. I swore then I'd never buy another ICE car, and I haven't.
Same exact story here. With the range of the LR I have it goes just as far as my G35 Coupe did on a tank of gas did at about 1/20 the cost. I think if all the world's drivers could drive a Tesla for a week or two there would be no more debating whether or not EVs are ready to replace ICE vehicles. I still hear the false information and doubts from people about EV's I did 8 years ago, less, but it's still there.

You are backtracking, backfilling and backpedaling. What you said that was counterfactual was that it takes an hour for people to charge fully at a supercharger. That's just plain wrong and again you are spreading misinformation.

From 0% to 100% takes over an hour to charge even at a super charger. Where as you can coast into a gas station on fumes and still fill up your tank in a few minutes. I'm not back tracking, or back peddling, it's 100% fact.

I'm conceding that it's not a typical real world scenario, but that doesn’t make it any less true.

From 0% to 100% takes over an hour to charge even at a super charger. Where as you can coast into a gas station on fumes and still fill up your tank in a few minutes. I'm not back tracking, or back peddling, it's 100% fact.

I'm conceding that it's not a typical real world scenario, but that doesn’t make it any less true.
Is that still the case with the new SuperDuperChargers that Tesla has begun deploying? My friend said the Houston charger she used put 120 miles on LR in 15 minutes (or something like that) even counting the slow down as the battery gets full it seems like a 100% charge might be less than an hour now.

I'm not trolling. I'm stating a fact. The post I replied to claimed that ICE cars had "no advantages whatsoever over EVs", I was simply pointing out that's not true.

I recently took a short road trip over the mountains to Stockton, CA to watch my niece perform in a play. It was 306 miles round trip and I did it in a single day. On the way there I stopped about 30 minutes in and filled up my car. Took about 3 minutes total. I never put gas in my car for the remainder of the trip nor stopped to pee, eat or stretch. (only about 3 hours each way) In fact I still had about 1/4 tank when I got back and didn’t put gas in the car for a couple more days. (I don’t drive that much) If I had taken the same trip in a Tesla I would have had to stop at a supercharger at least once, about half way, to make it. And that's assuming there was a supercharger on the route I took, which there wasn't, so I'd actually would have had to take a longer route that did include a supercharger just to make the trip.

I personally think that EVs are great and I'm getting a M3 Performance soon. (may order tonight if I can decide between Red or Blue) But they're not infallible. They still have some disadvantages in specific situations like the one I just described.

On the plus side it looks like they have plans to install a supercharger at Kirkwood, which is about 1/2 way along that route and one in Stockton somewhere. So in the not to distant future I'll be able to visit my niece without having to take a special route.

Is that still the case with the new SuperDuperChargers that Tesla has begun deploying? My friend said the Houston charger she used put 120 miles on LR in 15 minutes (or something like that) even counting the slow down as the battery gets full it seems like a 100% charge might be less than an hour now.

Form what I've seen they charge really fast down low (below 50%) and then start to ramp down until they're going pretty slow for the last 15-20%.

Most of the info I've seen suggest that it's actually faster to plan a route where you keep the car in the 15-60% range and stop more frequently to charge if you can because it charges so much faster in that band.

I'm not trolling. I'm stating a fact. The post I replied to claimed that ICE cars had "no advantages whatsoever over EVs", I was simply pointing out that's not true.

I recently took a short road trip over the mountains to Stockton, CA to watch my niece perform in a play. It was 306 miles round trip and I did it in a single day. On the way there I stopped about 30 minutes in and filled up my car. Took about 3 minutes total. I never put gas in my car for the remainder of the trip nor stopped to pee, eat or stretch. (only about 3 hours each way) In fact I still had about 1/4 tank when I got back and didn’t put gas in the car for a couple more days. (I don’t drive that much) If I had taken the same trip in a Tesla I would have had to stop at a supercharger at least once, about half way, to make it. And that's assuming there was a supercharger on the route I took, which there wasn't, so I'd actually would have had to take a longer route that did include a supercharger just to make the trip.

I personally think that EVs are great and I'm getting a M3 Performance soon. (may order tonight if I can decide between Red or Blue) But they're not infallible. They still have some disadvantages in specific situations like the one I just described.

On the plus side it looks like they have plans to install a supercharger at Kirkwood, which is about 1/2 way along that route and one in Stockton somewhere. So in the not to distant future I'll be able to visit my niece without having to take a special route.
Red!!!

Wrong again. Under the new protocols it takes 50 minutes. And if you're charging at zero you've already made a mistake in terms of your trip planning and you're risking your battery. If you're charging at all regularly from 0 to 100 over a fairly short period of time you will be destroying your battery. Again what you are providing is misinformation, out of context, in scenarios that don't happen or shouldn't happen, and therefore it's deeply misleading. Please stop Dan. If nothing else you are just simply exposing yourself as misinformed.

Last edited:

I understand what you are saying, but this is the part where you not having one and understanding clearly how you would charge makes a difference. You would never charge "from zero to 100%" at a supercharger. Just would not happen. You say that because you are thinking of it like a gas car, and you are thinking "fill it up".

You would leave with 100% and yes you would have to stop "somewhere" but I find it hard to believe that there was no supercharger anywhere close within that 150 mile one way trip. Its likely that there was one "somewhere" where you were. Probably less convenient than a gas station, but I doubt it would have been more than a few miles out of the way.

You would go there and arrive at 20-30% charge, charge for about 15-20 minutes, and drive home, arriving at a low state of charge, parking in your garage and charging.

Because you are still thinking you need to "fill it up" while you are on the road, you are putting a barrier that really isnt there, especially for someone in california.

I know you placed an order, so when you receive your car and try that trip, you will find out that it might take you 30 minutes total for that stop vs the "5 minues" you say the gas station took. When people do this type of calculation, they usually discount the amount of time it took to get to said gas station, but dont discount the amount of time it took to get to the supercharger.

Also, people know its less expensive to charge in general, but they many times dont realize how much different. If you had the opportunity to either choose a gas station that had gas at 3.50 a gallon, or drive 5 miles away and pay 1.75 a gallon, most people would drive the 5 miles to save 50%. because a supercharger doesnt have a "price per gallon" people have some issues corrolating it.

When you have your leased tesla, you will find that in practical terms, its not much different, unless you are one who likes to take long road trips (and 150 miles 1 way isnt really "long") without stopping. There are those out there who do (I am talking 8 hour a day road trips with only stops to use the restroom), and for them, a tesla will add fairly significant time. For almost everyone else, in practical terms, it will add none to "a little" for a "cost per gallon" of around 50-60%.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMAlset

A lot of places folks might perform have level 2 charging in their parking lot already; in the future it should become ubiquitous.

If you'd had 7 kW AC charging during the entire length of performance, a modern long range EV probably would not have needed any fuel stops at all for your trip.

Reactions: wenkan and dfwatt
A lot of places folks might perform have level 2 charging in their parking lot already; in the future it should become ubiquitous.

If you'd had 7 kW AC charging during the entire length of performance, a modern long range EV probably would not have needed any fuel stops at all for your trip.

Maybe. But she's 15 and this was a community theater. They don’t even have a parking lot. You have to park on the street.