Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

who no grid charging of batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Was talking with my installer company today, and I asked about the ability to grid charge batteries because I would be the ER SGIP program, and not be getting an ITC. I got back an answer from him I have never heard before.

He told me the SGIP program requires batteries to be charged from solar at least 75% of the time. So independent of the ITC, assuming this is the requirement, I could now see why it would have to be this way.

Has anyone else ever heard this?

I thought it was possible to get Equity Resiliency for SGIP storage without any solar at all. Obviously, this would greatly reduce your runtime for extended outages, but it would require grid charging only. They could force you on TOU rates and still require the 52 equivalent full discharges per year.

I thought it was possible to get Equity Resiliency for SGIP storage without any solar at all. Obviously, this would greatly reduce your runtime for extended outages, but it would require grid charging only. They could force you on TOU rates and still require the 52 equivalent full discharges per year.
Not sure, will let someone else answer, but I assume no since the programs goal is to unload the grid, not take from it

Did you ask him if this was specific to your particular program? Have you compared his statement to your findings about your particular program?
I am curious because I am thinking about buying a property in an area with two PSPS outages and it might have a well.
Great question. Since we all know that to get the ITC, you have to charge from solar I believe, we were only talking about the ER SGIP with no ITC. That was my focus since I already believe I knew the other answer. At least, assuming true for ER, finally gives me an answer I can live with.

I believe, we were only talking about the ER SGIP with no ITC.
Yes, but there are a number of ways to qualify for ER programs and I was wondering if each way of qualifying had different requirements? Have you confirmed or clarified what your installer told you with the SGIP documentation for the particular program you are applying for? Or are the charging requirements the same for each of those subsets?

Yes, but there are a number of ways to qualify for ER programs and I was wondering if each way of qualifying had different requirements? Have you confirmed or clarified what your installer told you with the SGIP documentation for the particular program you are applying for? Or are the charging requirements the same for each of those subsets?
I have not followed how many ER progams there are. I had heard of one at 85%, and one at 100%.. The ER program I am always talking about is the 100% which needs high fire or 2 outages, medical baseline or well. I have not idea how one qualifies for the 85% program. I assume all the others got ITC, but again, not my focus.

The ER program I am always talking about is the 100% which needs high fire or 2 outages, medical baseline or well. I have not idea how one qualifies for the 85% program. I assume all the others got ITC, but again, not my focus.
Thanks for clarifying. Currently I do not qualify for medical baseline but the well and fire outages might influence the economics of which property I might buy since I know that I would definitely install solar.
For me the additional factor is that this this is all hypothetical anyway and my depend on other factors unique each of us. NEM 2.0 tends to favor more solar charging because of NBCs so the impact of that 75% requirement would be different for a NEM 1.0 consumer like you. Then add the additional consumption of an EV or two and the end result is a fairly complicated decision matrix that also means our cost benefits will be different.
If I wait too long to buy this hypothetical property I might get stuck on NEM 3.0 and the 75% rule may be different.

The other hypothetical that could change that 75% rule or the economics, might be the Virtual Power Plant that Tesla is working on. If PowerWalls wre paid for putting load on the grid or powering the grid that could be another game changer.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but It will all just depend on where we are standing.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying. Currently I do not qualify for medical baseline but the well and fire outages might influence the economics of which property I might buy since I know that I would definitely install solar.
For me the additional factor is that this this is all hypothetical anyway and my depend on other factors unique each of us. NEM 2.0 tends to favor more solar charging because of NBCs so the impact of that 75% requirement would be different for a NEM 1.0 consumer like you. Then add the additional consumption of an EV or two and the end result is a fairly complicated decision matrix that also means our cost benefits will be different.
If I wait too long to buy this hypothetical property I might get stuck on NEM 3.0 and the 75% rule may be different.

The other hypothetical that could change that 75% rule or the economics, might be the Virtual Power Plant that Tesla is working on. If PowerWalls wre paid for putting load on the grid or powering the grid that could be another game changer.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but It will all just depend on where we are standing.
I am on NEM 2.0 tou-c at the moment.

Looks like, for pge, all the ER money might be gone, and from what I have been told, do not count on it coming back. They really blew it when they added the wells. Companies went nuts getting for folks that had no real reason to need. But oh well, ...

He stated the 75% was just a target. Meaning, they do not want charging from grid other than storm mode.

Yes, all this stuff is a moving target. This goes back to why I am looking at what I might do for fun, not ROI.

Actually, if I were looking for a house, I would look for one without a well, and NO fire stuff. So many around me are losing fire insurance, that it does impact property values. And when some of these places do burn, it will be bad. again