TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who wants the "Creep" removed?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by JRP3, Apr 25, 2011.

?

Kill the Creep?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2011.
  1. We don't need no stinking creep, drop it.

19 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Nothing creepy about the creep, keep it.

43 vote(s)
    69.4%
  1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

In some of the discussions I've noticed a number of Roadster owners would rather have the "Creep" feature eliminated. Figured I'd try a poll and see what the numbers are.

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

If you start a poll, leave an option to have it owner programable. That would be my vote. Better yet, have it as a driver opiton set with a particular key fob proximity.

3. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I did start a poll, at the top of the page, didn't it show up? I only put two choices, keep it or drop it. Right now we are 50/50 with six votes.

4. zack

zack Member

Couldn't they make a software update that would let you eliminate it yourself via the touchpad screen?

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

What's the "creep" feature?

6. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Seems to be:

Either:
    Somewhat scary, unwanted admirers striking up conversations while you are at stop lights (see Bonnie's post on this topic)
    Or:
    The slow creep forward of the car, on flat ground, when you are not pressing either brake or accelerator

7. DZCPA

DZCPA 2.5 2011#1263 "NO GAZZZ"

I like it. Great while backing up out of parking stops.

8. zack

zack Member

I like it, but anything that isn't a serious safety feature should be addressable via software.

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

What is the purpose of the creep? I thought it was originally there in case you stepped out of the car without putting on the handbrake. But, people have also mentioned a benefit during hill-starts. Or, is it just an unintentional bi-product of ICE automatic transmission design?

10. zack

zack Member

Creep in ICEs is just a byproduct of an idling engine pulling against the transmission when your foot is off the brake. We've gotten so used to it, that Tesla's team designed it into the way the Roadster behaves. It's entirely unnecessary. They could just as easily have made it like the Segway, where it would stand still going up or down hill when you take your foot off the accelerator.

11. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

creeping is also a security feature. if you stop, you have to hold the car by pressing the brake. you still know, the system is still on and ready to move.

12. toutizes

toutizes Member

Stick shift ICE cars don't creep. I've never heard they were less "secure" than automatic transmission cars.

13. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

Yeah, but a significant difference is that they either aren't in gear or the clutch pedal is depressed. The Roadster is in gear.

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Brilliant comparison. Make it like the Segway.

15. kgb

kgb Member

How many times have events like this happened to you?

The car is stopped, but the engine is on. You decide to look for something that may have rolled under the seat, and your foot accidentally hits the torque pedal. Because of creep, the car would be in park, so the car won't move. If the car had no creep, but was left in gear, the car would lurch forward and could hit something (pedestrian, another car, your garage door, the living room wall, etc...)

On the other hand, I was in my ICE once, and I took my eyes off the stop light for a second to get something off the floor. Suddenly I heard all kinds of honking. When I looked up, I found myself rolling towards the car in front of me. Luckily, I braked before I hit. I didn't even feel the gentle forward motion. Apparently, I didn't feel my foot take pressure off the brake.

So basically, I just made safety arguments for both sides. (or an incompetence argument for me) :wink:

IMO, it's not really for safety, but just preference.

16. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Interesting that the poll results are about the opposite of what I would have predicted. My EV doesn't have creep and I don't miss it at all, and I live in an area with a lot of hills. Of course I've driven a lot of manual transmissions in my life as well as autos so I don't take creep for granted. Poll results suggest that auto makers using creep may actually be giving people what they want, maybe because, as I pointed out in another thread about strong regen, people don't like change.

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Then bury it on/off deep in a menu somewhere.

18. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

There's an aftermarket business waiting to be started, hacking EV control software to allow customization. May void your warranty.

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Does 'creep' hurt efficiency? In other words, if you are stopped with foot on the brake, is the vehicle applying some current to the motor to keep it pushing against the gearbox? It feels like it is because as you ease off of the brake pedal it starts rolling forward without hesitation. It would probably help save a little battery power if the battery was only willing to accept power (from regen) and not give out any power (for creep) if the accelerator pedal is not being pushed at all.

20. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

No. Control is clever enough that it listens to micro-switch on the brake pedal - power is only applied when you step of.
    Same story as when you jump on the brake pedal without stepping of the accelerator - power is instantly cut off.