Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants the "Creep" removed?

Kill the Creep?

• We don't need no stinking creep, drop it.

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Nothing creepy about the creep, keep it.

Votes: 43 69.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, the biggest advantage of "creep" is in stop and go traffic (as in L.A. freeway rush hour) with an automatic transmission one can "feather" the brake and move with the traffic without much effort. With a manual transmission, one must constantly engage/disengage the clutch and a real pita. Not having owned an electric, I would imagine without "creep" one would be constantly on/off the go pedal in stop and go traffic; seems easier to just ride the brake.

Interesting that the poll results are about the opposite of what I would have predicted. My EV doesn't have creep and I don't miss it at all, and I live in an area with a lot of hills. Of course I've driven a lot of manual transmissions in my life as well as autos so I don't take creep for granted. Poll results suggest that auto makers using creep may actually be giving people what they want, maybe because, as I pointed out in another thread about strong regen, people don't like change.

I think of it is an important security feature. What if the ignition is on, you are trying to get out of the Roadster, you slip and you hit accidentally the accel pad...
If you are lucky, Tesla could sell you a new car...

No. Control is clever enough that it listens to micro-switch on the brake pedal - power is only applied when you step of.
Same story as when you jump on the brake pedal without stepping of the accelerator - power is instantly cut off.
I agree that depressing the brake would probably be set up to turn off creep but if you simultaneously push the brake and accelerator and the motor works very hard to push the car forward.

Without creep, on the flat at a stoplight, you could have no feet on the peddles without moving (even if it had a Segway mode - which I like the idea of). But, then, if someone hits from behind...

After reading the discussion here, I still think creep is best for me. The only drawback is having to keep your foot on the brake (or apply handbrake) and that is a safety feature for me.

That said, I see no problem with it being a configurable personal preference (like, perhaps, regen level) - but this must be a personal preference not a vehicle preference (otherwise the vehicle may behave drastically different if another driver changed it, and that becomes a safety issue).

For me, the biggest advantage of "creep" is in stop and go traffic (as in L.A. freeway rush hour) with an automatic transmission one can "feather" the brake and move with the traffic without much effort. With a manual transmission, one must constantly engage/disengage the clutch and a real pita. Not having owned an electric, I would imagine without "creep" one would be constantly on/off the go pedal in stop and go traffic; seems easier to just ride the brake.
You can just ride the A-pedal instead of the brake pedal. As for being hit from behind, even if you aren't on the brakes the regen will kick in as you start moving and slow you down somewhat. If someone hits you hard enough from behind to shove you into another car then you're taking damage anyway. In some cases the ability to move forward a bit without as much resistance might even reduce the damage to the rear of the vehicle.

Without creep, on the flat at a stoplight, you could have no feet on the peddles without moving (even if it had a Segway mode - which I like the idea of). But, then, if someone hits from behind...

After reading the discussion here, I still think creep is best for me. The only drawback is having to keep your foot on the brake (or apply handbrake) and that is a safety feature for me.

That said, I see no problem with it being a configurable personal preference (like, perhaps, regen level) - but this must be a personal preference not a vehicle preference (otherwise the vehicle may behave drastically different if another driver changed it, and that becomes a safety issue).

I can do that right now with my ICE manual car. I don't do it though for the fact that I do not want to get hit by somebody that doesn't see my brake lights.

I would like to see it user programmable so that I can at least have the option of shutting it off. That also gives the option to turn it back on when knowing I'm gonna be in traffic to take advatange of only having to feather the brake pedal, so you still get the benefit on single pedal driving.

Also, many ICE cars (manuals I believe) are having the option of having a hill assist feature which applies the brake for a second or two to let you get into gear and not have rollback.

-Shark2k

Last edited:
I think of it is an important security feature. What if the ignition is on, you are trying to get out of the Roadster, you slip and you hit accidentally the accel pad...
If you are lucky, Tesla could sell you a new car...
Seems like an unlikely scenario. What if you get out of the car with creep because you forgot it was on? Maybe you'd run over yourself. Equally as unlikely.

Creep is required for Oakland, CA based owners who want to ghost-ride.
That Car surfing site has no "Used Car" reference

usedcars5jump.jpg

Last edited:
Same thing works in an electric, pop it in neutral if you want to sit.
Exactly. I was against creep but I came to think of it as necessary feature.
You have Park/Neutral and you have Drive.
When car is in Drive you have to be actively stopping it from moving or it becomes an accident waiting to happen.
This "active stopping" is pressing the brake in automatic or the clutch and brake in manual transmission car.
If you want the car to stand still put it out of Drive or gear.

Can't fathom how you can sit with both feet on the floor in a manual ICE vehicle without putting it in neutral. Same thing works in an electric, pop it in neutral if you want to sit.

Yeah, but with a manual car you are technically in neutral when you have the clutch in. Also, with me at least, when I am stopped at a light I usually put the car in neutral, especially when I know the light just turned, so that I don't have to hold the clutch (especially since a clutch has more pressure to it than pushing the brake in). Besides it's really easy to throw the car in neutral with a manual seeing as you don't even have to push in the clutch. When I drive an auto I don't put the car into neutral, that is just annoying. I have to go through gears anyway in a manual which is why putting it into neutral is not a big deal. I wouldn't want to have to do that in an electric car.

-Shark2k