Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whoa! Come on tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of these "hack thefts" of Teslas have there been? I think a lot of noise is being made over a tiny risk.

I think we’ll see this happen eventually. Just because there have been no reports of this yet doesn’t mean the threat doesn’t exist. Many seem to be hung up on the whole fake WiFi at a supercharger method of attempting to steal Tesla account credentials. That could be one potential attack vector by a malicious party but that’s only one way it could possibly be done. What if an account database gets leaked or stolen, either by a malicious hacker or perhaps a disgruntled employee? Any stored passwords would surely be encrypted but a list of account email addresses would be plain text.

If something like that ever became available then people on that leaked list could start receiving phishing emails. As it’s also been discussed, many people use the same password across multiple sites and services. I can guarantee that if such an account email list ever got leaked there would be a good portion of accounts that share a password with another account breach from a different company. There have been many serious breaches over the past few years and the data from those leaks is readily available.

I support all sorts of people at my job that are gullible enough to fall for a carefully orchestrated phishing attack. Just because many here at TMC would never fall victim to phishing or some fake WiFi network at a supercharger doesn’t mean there aren’t some out there that would. Someone that may unknowingly give up their Tesla account credentials may not opt for 2FA either, but at least Tesla should (and luckily will based on Elon’s earlier tweet) give owners the option of further protecting their accounts with 2FA.

Reactions: jsmay311