Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are you ordering a Performance Model 3 over an AWD Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had original decided to go with the AWD Model 3 but now there is an option to get a lower end Performance (18” wheels, 145 mph top speed, no aluminum alloy pedals, and no spoiler) for only $11K more and my configurator is open. This does make the Performance upgrade a lot more palatable. Will talk to the wife after she wakes up and decide which to order although now I am leaning towards base Performance. Anyone else with AWD switching to Performance with the price drop?

I would not buy a "stripped" P unless the performance really makes a difference for you. No one will want to buy the used P without the Performance Upgrade (which includes a higher top speed) so your depreciation will be higher.

Just running the numbers myself this morning, buying a 3 for my daughter. I am also including in my thinking that we might be in to 1/2 tax incentive when we would get the AWD vs the P. Difference full in for me between the two with this assumption is $12,250 for the fully loaded P vs a fully loaded AWD.

Only 2 things I am considering to sway me to the P; white interior and potentially better resale (and of course when I drive it I want the P ;)). Not sure resale will be any better between the P and the AWD so really only consideration is if I want to pay $12k for a white interior and the times I will drive it.

Tough call, but ordering in the next hour :D

I had original decided to go with the AWD Model 3 but now there is an option to get a lower end Performance (18” wheels, 145 mph top speed, no aluminum alloy pedals, and no spoiler) for only $11K more and my configurator is open. This does make the Performance upgrade a lot more palatable. Will talk to the wife after she wakes up and decide which to order although now I am leaning towards base Performance. Anyone else with AWD switching to Performance with the price drop?

I updated mine to that "base P" earlier this morning - as the price delta (between the overall drop, and the a la carte of some of the options) means I get one of those aforementioned vacations back... Personally not a huge fan of the spoiler. When I was planning for AWD, was also going to get a set of the 18" wheels with snow tires. So now, I'll still mount some snows on those 18s, and likely head to something more like the 19s I was going to get on my AWD for summer driving. Definitely happy with the new choices. When they set the pricing originally, I was frustrated by the all-in pricing, but knew they must have done some demand curve exercises to find the optimal price point. I'd like to think it's people like me that chose differently than they expected that lead to the new model, where they can happily extract some more money from me, and I'll happily pay it.

Just an update.. I just ordered the base Performance Model 3 (without the spoiler, wheel, aluminum pedal, top speed upgrade). I discussed the purchase with my wife who was OK with the base performance but didn't see the need for the larger wheels (which means more frequent tire replacements), 155 mph top speed, or the aluminum pedals. I am getting a Metallic Silver Model 3 with black interior and enhanced Autopilot but holding off on Full Self Driving for now. Can't wait to take delivery of my Model 3!

Reactions: NewTMSMan
I have yet to see anyone else with the same reason as me for opting for P version so hear it is.

I believe climate change is an existential threat to life on the planet and c02 is a major contributor of climate change.

Oil companies, and legacy automakers and dealers are doing everything they can to keep the status quo including a massive misinformation campaign against climate change and paying corrupt politicians to cut emission standards and to create laws that block Tesla sales

Me opting for top of the line P3D is kind of my way of fighting back against those forces by supporting Tesla to the fullest.

Also, I’ll be introducing this car to dozens, if not 100’s, of my fellow coworkers over the next couple years, and this impressive vehicle could translate into additional sales of EVs.

• Love
Reactions: preilly44
I have a P100D, and am currently in a 100D loaner. The opportunity to be in the loaner has reinforced for me that I want to go for the Performance version. It’s not that I hammer the P100D off the line at very light, it is just the acceleration and torque difference between the two cars make driving them two different experiences. The P100D is that much more pleasurable at any speed, rather then the “elastic” feeling of acceleration of the 100D the P100D feels frenetic. I would extrapolate that the Performance version of the Model 3 will have a little of that feeling plus added nimbleness in the corners partly due to it's reduced heft.

All the attention with the brakes have made me more sold on it, than less. I am sure with all the attention that it will be a focus and that they will also get the brakes sorted.
You have described my reasoning pretty well. Of course it is not ‘rational’ but what satisfying decision ever is?

Reactions: preilly44