Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does middle America have fewer EV’s, the Model 3 the solution.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a long time, EVs and hybrids were nerd mobiles with limited range. When I first got my car, I didn't want to take a road trip so I started doing the unthinkable and ride sharing after work. I found that most people were astonished by the car. Some could not even comprehend how it ran purely on a battery. There were a million questions. Most were excited but ill-formed. Range and how it can be chàrged were misunderstood. And this is in NY. I can't even imagine in the Midwest. These are people who know about Tesla in various ways but likely have insufficient information to justify even considering a purchase.

People have been claiming sedans are a dying breed for decades and yet up until just last year the Camry and Civic were the most popular cars in America by sales volume for decades. 2018 was the first year in a long time that a truck was number one. Maybe it's a new trend? Or maybe it's just a fad but one year of dominance isn't cause to claim sedans are dying off.

It doesn't appear to be a fad. Indeed, the trend has been in this direction since the SUVs (particularly the smaller ones) were introduced. Each year they have grabbed progressively more market share until NOW they have officially taken over the top spots. Heck, I think the Mazda CX-5 outsells all other Mazdas COMBINED (Mazda is, admittedly, small). As to the European manufacturers, the same trend has been seen there. 37.3% of BMW's sales were SUVs last year (up from 33% the year before). Virtually all their "growth" in in SUVs. Even in more "exotic" realms, it is widely know that the Cayenne and Macan basically keep cars like the 911 around.

In the middle of the country fuel is relatively inexpensive. Weather is rough and higher ground clearance vehicles are often required.

They are more interested in 4WD than AWD.

Cities are further apart, with long isolated stretches between them. Range is important.

Pickups are the preferred transportation, with SUVs super popular.

People are also more loyal and less fickle. There are Ford families, GM families and Chrysler families. That goes far deeper than getting the next in thing.

Believe the Model Y will be the most popular and perhaps the new Truck will even get some interest.

In the mid-west, towing capacity is usually a factor when buying family vehicles. They want to pull a RV, camper, jet skis, fishing boat and a trailer to haul stuff off their larger lots.

It is a different marketplace.

Reactions: jdcollins5
I always wondered why the mid states dont much EV’s? An American made company should be a winner! Its a great combo! Buy a Tesla Model 3!
Another possible reason is that many people everywhere do not see any need to change from gasoline to electric. Their cars and trucks are perfectly fine. They are blissfully unaware of the impact of fossil fuels on the environment and their own health. They can't conceive of any reason to change.

They don't need performance. They don't need luxury. They don't need quiet speed, instant starts, or technologically advanced cars.

We didn't need smartphones either. Until we tried one.

Reactions: ElectricLee