Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I think Vinyl Wraps will be MUCH less expensive for CT… if it works…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to own a vehicle wrap business for 5 years before I ultimately sold it. Before that, I made custom cut files for DIY striping and graphics kits for many different vehicles. I even ran a successful e-commerce business selling decals that I started in 8th grade and sold when I was 24.

The CyberTruck provides a unique opportunity for graphics and color change kits on a vehicle that I’ve never seen on any other road car.

Since all the panels are flat, just about anyone can grab a friend and install a wrap on it in a few hours of work. The complexity of wrapping a car comes from using a heat gun and adhesive promoter to tuck it into tight curves. The CT doesn’t have that issue.

A company could easily ship you pre cut sheets of vinyl and a squeegee applicator and it would be pretty hard to mess it up. Not to mention the fact that since it’s on stainless steel, you could even use an x-acto knife to trim the vinyl directly on the car if needed without worrying about damaging paint. This means a wrap will only cost a few hundred dollars instead of thousands to have someone else do it.

The big question I have though is, will it stick? Wrap needs a very clean and non textured surface to adhere properly. Wrapping bare metal almost never works. I’ve never tried to wrap a sheet of stainless steel, but I’m not confident you’ll even be able to wrap it. We will see.

So either the CT will be the best vehicle to vinyl wrap or you won’t be able to wrap it at all. I hope it’s the former.

Wrapping bare metal almost never works. I’ve never tried to wrap a sheet of stainless steel, but I’m not confident you’ll even be able to wrap it.
I don't know the answer. There will definitely be people offering solutions. You are in a unique position, with your experience. It shouldn't be to hard to go to home depot, get a sheet of stainless steel and give it a try. As I type this I am wondering if the CT will be naked or have some sort of coating on it that would have to be delt with too.

I don't know the answer. There will definitely be people offering solutions. You are in a unique position, with your experience. It shouldn't be to hard to go to home depot, get a sheet of stainless steel and give it a try. As I type this I am wondering if the CT will be naked or have some sort of coating on it that would have to be delt with too.
A coating would matter too. There is definitely vinyl that will work, but it’s mostly white vinyl that you print graphics on that has a very strong adhesive. You would have to grind it off with a rubber wheel. Wrap vinyl has all the unique color options and finishes so hopefully it will work. I’m out of that business now but maybe I’ll order a sample of wrap vinyl and give it a try.