Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wifi connection not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a 23 model 3. When I try to connect to my home's wifi, it connects at the first time, then it won't automatically connect after I leave and come back home. Also the wifi icon won't show up in my control panel.

When I try to reconnect to my home wifi, it just silently fails. My iphone and laptop are able to connect fine.

Anyone experience similar issues?

Some questions:
  • How far away is your car from the closest access point? Obviously, the closer the better.
  • How many walls / doors are between the car and access point? Materials, especially metals, can degrade a signal.
  • Which direction is your car pointing in, with respect to the access point? By that I mean does the front end of the car point towards the access point or away? I believe that on my car, 2018 LR RWD, the WiFi antenna is inside the passenger side mirror housing towards the front of the car. Meaning if an access point is located behind the car, the side view mirror (metal coated) is directly in between.
You can download an app for your phone which can give you an idea of the signal strength (and number) of access points around you. I use one called WiFi Analyzer (premium version) and you can get graphs like this:

1696875104709.png

The higher up each "dome" of signal reaches, the stronger the signal. This will also tell you if the WiFi channel you are using is heavily populated. Generally, people should be using Channels 1, 6 or 11 on the 2.4Ghz band as that offers the least amount of interference between access points.

Reactions: rpiotro
This may or may not be related to your issue, but we just started seeing WiFi weirdness in our 2023 MYLR:

We have a 2023 MYLR with HW4, built in September 2023, running 2023.27.7 / 11.4.7.3. For the last two mornings the car has been unreachable via the app. Both times, when I went in the garage to check on the car, the car was on LTE instead of our WiFi network.

We have terrible cell signal here, so it's not surprising that the car was unresponsive while insisting on using that. The WiFi signal in the garage is strong, with full bars. When I went into the connectivity settings on the car's screen, the list of available WiFi networks was empty. The car can usually see at least 2 and sometimes up to 5 WiFi networks from our garage. When I drilled down into the WiFi Settings menu, it said the car's WiFi adapter had no MAC address. Not knowing what else to do, I used the settings screen to turn WiFi off and then on again. After a couple of minutes, WiFi networks appeared again, the car connected, and the app started working. This morning, for good measure, I reset the router (since they always ask us to do that), and I rebooted the car via the two-steering-wheel-buttons. All seems normal now, even after what have to have been a couple of good sleep cycles. I even powered off the car via that button on the Safety screen to force whatever that does (sleep? deep sleep? reboot?) Anyway, has anyone else ever seen this symptom, and if so, what was the issue?

Background:
(1) I am currently unable to deliberately recreate this.
(2) Three days ago, Tesla replaced our windshield under warranty - could that have messed with the WiFi circuits? I have no idea where those are, so I dunno. If they're in the passenger side mirror, I doubt this windshield replacement would make much difference.
(3) Three days ago, I started a trial of TeslaFi - I've seen zero complaints about this service causing issues, especially like this one, but there it is. TeslaFi service seemed satisfied that the car was sleeping just fine, but is there any way the "deep sleep" option of TeslaFi could turn the car so comatose that it won't or can't start up the WiFi circuits when it wakes up? Due to the uncertainty I deleted the token from TeslaFi so it can't talk to the car anymore until I figure this out. Not blaming TeslaFi, just reducing the variable count.
(4) Tesla SC is interested, but for now is waiting until I can get a solid repro on the issue before deciding what to do about it. For now, we plan to wait until tomorrow morning to see whether it does the same thing again after I verify that the car is connected to our WiFi before I go to bed.

I'm using WPA2-Personal with mesh routers that cover both frequencies. Worked fine for two years with our 2021 Model 3P. For my part, I've not gotten a repro of my issue since I terminated TeslaFi. Again, can't say whether that was the issue because I also rebooted both router and car. Maybe I'll add TeslaFi back to my mix and see whether the car starts dropping WiFi again.