Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi extender please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Are both "ends" of the extender on the same AC leg of your house wiring? AC extenders don't work particularly well (or at all in some cases) if you have them on separate legs of your home's 2-phase power.
Up until this post every other mention of AC I thought people were talking about 802.11ac :D

@hcdavis3 you didn’t mention what your settings are for your network. Is the SSID hidden? Are you using WPA2, WPA or WEP for the security settings? If it’s set to WEP it may not work at all since WEP is incredibly insecure and some new devices have it disabled. The Model 3 may have WEP support intentionally turned off.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: hcdavis3
@hcdavis3 - just an off the wall thought here. Do you potentially have a window tint on your Tesla that could be affecting the signal strength when connecting to your main router ?

There are some reports of tinted windows with metal additives that can heavily absorb wifi signals. Xpel window tint advertises their films do not interfere with radio, cellular, or bluetooth signals.

Sorry - just a thought.....

Another +1 for Google WiFi.

@hcdavis3 you can also (if you want) get rid of your Verizon router and wire directly from Verizon ethernet into the Google WiFi. The Verizon Ethernet drop needs to be "enabled", which, if it isn't, will require a fairly quick call/chat with customer service. If it was previously connected to your Verizon router then it's already enabled.

Then you can ditch the Verizon router (and it's rental fees) all together.

Note that you will lose some Verizon PPV services and/or the guide, but that won't be an issue if you have streaming TV or just use Verizon for the Internet.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Another +1 for Google WiFi.

@hcdavis3 you can also (if you want) get rid of your Verizon router and wire directly from Verizon ethernet into the Google WiFi. The Verizon Ethernet drop needs to be "enabled", which, if it isn't, will require a fairly quick call/chat with customer service. If it was previously connected to your Verizon router then it's already enabled.

Then you can ditch the Verizon router (and it's rental fees) all together.

Note that you will lose some Verizon PPV services and/or the guide, but that won't be an issue if you have streaming TV or just use Verizon for the Internet.

Good luck!
Thanks very much. I own my Verizon router and have for a while. Spud told me to turn off the WiFi on the Verizon modem and let the Google mesh network take over. I’ll report back tomorrow after I set it up. You and everyone on this thread have been so helpful!

Reactions: SpudLime
Sounds like the OP has solved his problem, but I’ll chime in anyway as I’ve found a solution which seems to work well, especially if you’re in the Apple ecosystem.

Apple stopped making their Airport Express/Extreme/Time Capsule base stations, but they are still widely available. I have found these to be very reliable. I use a Time Capsule as my base station (replaced Comcast rental modem/base station with a simple cable modem and ethernetted into the Time Capsule). I’ve got an Airport Express in the garage configured as an extender. I get 72 Mbps to the Model 3.

Sounds like the OP has solved his problem, but I’ll chime in anyway as I’ve found a solution which seems to work well, especially if you’re in the Apple ecosystem.

Apple stopped making their Airport Express/Extreme/Time Capsule base stations, but they are still widely available. I have found these to be very reliable. I use a Time Capsule as my base station (replaced Comcast rental modem/base station with a simple cable modem and ethernetted into the Time Capsule). I’ve got an Airport Express in the garage configured as an extender. I get 72 Mbps to the Model 3.
You’re a good man Prune. I appreciate any and all input. Your reply is interesting because I’m totally in the Apple Ecosystem. I had a both an Extreme and an Express but sold them a while ago. I’m Getting the Google WiFi tomorrow and will definitely report back after setting it up. My 3 is stubborn. It refuses to connect to any extender. I’ve unfortunately been back and forth between Staples and Walmart with extenders that my 3 didn’t like. I have high hopes for the Google mesh network because it’s not an extender. I was the rep for SONOS before I retired a couple of years ago and my stuff has always worked. SONOS uses its own proprietary mesh network which has been bulletproof for me. I promise to report back to all tomorrow, hopefully with good news. Enjoy your weekend.

@hcdavis3 - just an off the wall thought here. Do you potentially have a window tint on your Tesla that could be affecting the signal strength when connecting to your main router ?
While it's true that some (most? all?) window tints can interfere with radio signals, the location of the WiFi antenna in the Model 3 is supposed to be in the passenger outside rear view mirror:

How to obtain best WiFi reception? | Tesla

Post referenced above is for a Model S but it's supposed to be the same for the 3. I've sorta confirmed that since if I park my car in the driveway pointed toward my garage (where my range extender lives), I got a stronger signal than if I back the car into the driveway. Head-in, the antenna has a clear shot towards my garage door. If I back in, the antenna is now behind the mirror and the WiFi signal strength inside the car goes down a bar. You could confirm the antenna location by wrapping the mirror in aluminum foil and see what happens to the WiFi (and presumably the LTE) signal.

While it's true that some (most? all?) window tints can interfere with radio signals, the location of the WiFi antenna in the Model 3 is supposed to be in the passenger outside rear view mirror:

How to obtain best WiFi reception? | Tesla

I've sorta confirmed that since if I park my car in the driveway pointed toward my garage (where my range extender lives), I got a stronger signal than if I back the car into the driveway. Head-in, the antenna has a clear shot towards my garage door. If I back in, the antenna is now behind the mirror and the WiFi signal strength inside the car goes down a bar.
To J and Ray, no tint. If I park in my driveway signal is pretty good. Putting a Google puck in the garage should do the trick. We’ll see tomorrow.

The
You’re a good man Prune. I appreciate any and all input. Your reply is interesting because I’m totally in the Apple Ecosystem. I had a both an Extreme and an Express but sold them a while ago. I’m Getting the Google WiFi tomorrow and will definitely report back after setting it up. My 3 is stubborn. It refuses to connect to any extender. I’ve unfortunately been back and forth between Staples and Walmart with extenders that my 3 didn’t like. I have high hopes for the Google mesh network because it’s not an extender. I was the rep for SONOS before I retired a couple of years ago and my stuff has always worked. SONOS uses its own proprietary mesh network which has been bulletproof for me. I promise to report back to all tomorrow, hopefully with good news. Enjoy your weekend.
I’ll just add the connection with the Airport was painless. When my Model 3 was delivered, the Tesla lady couldn’t configure the key cards. She called and the SC suggested a FW upgrade. The car could see my network fine sitting in the driveway, so I input the password, did the upgrade and we got the cards configured.

Thanks - good to know ! Now that you mention it, I remember reading a post from someone who lost wifi strength after installing carbon fiber mirror caps.

I went through 3 different wifi extenders in my house. It wasnt just for my Model S. The last straw was trying to get one to work for my car in the garage. All crap.

I switched to using Google WIFI with my Verizon FIOS router and man it is Sooo much better.
Quick question Spud while I wait for my Google WiFi today. Out for delivery. What happens if I don’t turn of the WiFi on my Verizon router? Does it end up being another access point?

I have an Apple extreme and Apple express extending that signal. My model 3 connects to it just fine and downloads the firmware as needed. Perhaps something you did at home is incorrect?
Maybe. I’ve tried multiple security protocols on 2 extenders and no luck. I even went as far as matching the security settings on my Verizon router with a Netgear and Linksys extender. No luck again. Google arrives shortly and I’ll report back. I’m looking to get better coverage in my whole house as well as the detached garage where my 3 lives.

Do you happen to know which company makes the Verizon router ? Xfinity was using Arris for it's moden/routers and I was considering trying out Verizon's 5G 3 month free trial.

Crossing my fingers the Google mesh will solve all your problems !!

Do you happen to know which company makes the Verizon router ? Xfinity was using Arris for it's moden/routers and I was considering trying out Verizon's 5G 3 month free trial.

Crossing my fingers the Google mesh will solve all your problems !!
Morning J. I’m pretty sure it’s Arris. At least there is an Arris device on my network when I do a scan and I don’t have Communistcast. Does Verizon have 3 g service where you are?