Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi extender please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

I’ve searched all the forums and can’t find a specific answer to my Model 3 WiFi question. I’m unable to connect to my WiFi extender regardless of security settings. I put in the correct password and no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? My car connects to my main WiFi router Verizon, but the signal is very weak, the car is a long way away from the Verizon router, but when I try to connect to my extender no luck. I’m inputting my correct password. Thanks in advance.

Have you looked into mesh wifi like google wifi? My devices have a stronger/better connection
Thanks for your reply. My car connects to my main Verizon router but the signal is weak at my car. All I’m looking for is faster downloads of new firmware. Ive tried 2 WiFi extenders one from NETGEAR and one from Lynksys. The car refuses to connect to either. I’ve tried WPS, browser set up. And it just won’t work. Can you tell me more about your Google set up, and are you using a Google extender to connect to your car. Many thanks for your help.

Thanks for your reply. My car connects to my main Verizon router but the signal is weak at my car. All I’m looking for is faster downloads of new firmware. Ive tried 2 WiFi extenders one from NETGEAR and one from Lynksys. The car refuses to connect to either. I’ve tried WPS, browser set up. And it just won’t work. Can you tell me more about your Google set up, and are you using a Google extender to connect to your car. Many thanks for your help.
It would be helpful if you provide the make and model number of the extender you're using.

I have the same problem w/ my WiFi extender. So far, I just deal w/ the less than full strength signal from our router (no problems w/ downloading car firmware updates to this point). Mine is a Netgear make. I'll check and post the model # when I get home.

Reactions: hcdavis3
You need to provide more information.

• What is the full make/model of the extender you are trying to use?
  • How do you have the devices connected? How are you connecting the extender to the main router?
  • Are both "ends" of the extender on the same AC leg of your house wiring? AC extenders don't work particularly well (or at all in some cases) if you have them on separate legs of your home's 2-phase power.
  • Can other devices like a mobile phone connect to this extender and browse the internet?
  • Have you tried building a new wireless network with no password/security and see if the car connects to that as a test?

If possible, I recommend upgrading to the Google wifi mesh router. I was getting a weak signal from my wireless router, so I upgraded it. I was able to easily place one of the wifi points in my garage, and connect my Model 3 to it. That night, I received the first software update at home since taking delivery of the car. Might have been a coincidence, but now the car connects to wifi as soon as I park it.

If possible, I recommend upgrading to the Google wifi mesh router. I was getting a weak signal from my wireless router, so I upgraded it. I was able to easily place one of the wifi points in my garage, and connect my Model 3 to it. That night, I received the first software update at home since taking delivery of the car. Might have been a coincidence, but now the car connects to wifi as soon as I park it.
I’m looking into that solution right now. Thanks very much for your help.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
I use a WiFi extender. Works great.

However, there might be a different issue if you can't connect to ANY WiFi. Have you tried a hotspot on your phone?
I can connect to my main WiFi router, Verizon, 2.4 with no problems. The signal is weak at my car. Just looking for faster WiFi if the signal is better. Haven’t tried a WiFi hot spot with my phone, but will try that.