Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will AP1 ever get FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP1 could do a lot more than it does now, but it certainly could not do FSD. However, development on AP1 has been totally abandoned once AP2 development began. @wk057 has made significant modifications to his AP1 vehicle such as auto lane change and exit taking. Even some very limited FSD.

@wk057 - I know you have said that it was a LOT of work to upgrade your (ex-wife's?) care to AP1, and would be cost prohibitive because of this. What about the software enhancements you made to AP1 noted above, could you modify existing AP1 cars similarly for a fee? What upgrades did you do for AP1 on the car?

@wk057 - I know you have said that it was a LOT of work to upgrade your (ex-wife's?) care to AP1, and would be cost prohibitive because of this. What about the software enhancements you made to AP1 noted above, could you modify existing AP1 cars similarly for a fee? What upgrades did you do for AP1 on the car?

My AP1 mods aren't super extensive on the hardware side, and involve some hardware between the AP1 module and the car, as well as between the steering column module and the car, tied into a small computer (a raspberry pi initially, upgraded to a miniITX box eventually) to do some heavy lifting (map/GPS processing, path databasing, etc). The magic is in the software side, which keeps the car happy while augmenting everything as possible. Cost wise, it's not too terrible. Development time wise is a whole different story.

I tried to look into a way to do some commercialization of the AP1 mods I did so other's could benefit, but, the liability factor is just too high to be cost effective. Even releasing open source with massive disclaimers is just too much real world liability for me to take on to do so, unfortunately. I even floated the idea of releasing under an anonymous pseudonym, and was advised against doing so since "it would be too obvious."

I did find an insurance underwriter who would take on the risk, but the cost is just so astronomically high, and long term, that it just doesn't make sense to do so. As much as I wish I could release some of this stuff, even as-is work-in-progress form stuff, if helpful, I just can't take on that kind of risk at the moment.

My AP1 mods aren't super extensive on the hardware side, and involve some hardware between the AP1 module and the car, as well as between the steering column module and the car, tied into a small computer (a raspberry pi initially, upgraded to a miniITX box eventually) to do some heavy lifting (map/GPS processing, path databasing, etc)
I can certainly understand your hesitance to release any software. But for those of us in the software industry, it's the hardware setup that is the barrier to entry. Could you share guidance on the details of your modifications? Understanding your architecture, including how you manage to transparently integrate your changes into the existing system, would go a long way.

My AP1 mods aren't super extensive on the hardware side, and involve some hardware between the AP1 module and the car, as well as between the steering column module and the car, tied into a small computer (a raspberry pi initially, upgraded to a miniITX box eventually) to do some heavy lifting (map/GPS processing, path databasing, etc). The magic is in the software side, which keeps the car happy while augmenting everything as possible. Cost wise, it's not too terrible. Development time wise is a whole different story.

I tried to look into a way to do some commercialization of the AP1 mods I did so other's could benefit, but, the liability factor is just too high to be cost effective. Even releasing open source with massive disclaimers is just too much real world liability for me to take on to do so, unfortunately. I even floated the idea of releasing under an anonymous pseudonym, and was advised against doing so since "it would be too obvious."

I did find an insurance underwriter who would take on the risk, but the cost is just so astronomically high, and long term, that it just doesn't make sense to do so. As much as I wish I could release some of this stuff, even as-is work-in-progress form stuff, if helpful, I just can't take on that kind of risk at the moment.

I do understand your reasons, thanks for your explanation. Can you list all the improvements your modified car can do that the normal AP1 cars can't? Just curious on how much more functionality you achieved.

I'm not holding my breath at all, but it would be really nice if Tesla ever upgraded AP1 to do at least some of the things that Elon promised it would. Again, not holding my breath on that one.

Could you file for a patent, thus publicly releasing the knowledge?