Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will AP1 ever get FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My speculation is that Tesla lost the ability to modify the core functionality of AP1 when they went through their divorce with MobileEye... so I don't see them ever following through on even the promises they originally made to AP1 folks, let alone go beyond.

The hardware is capable of much more. Maybe not FSD, but can do a lot more than they've done with it.

Nags are worse, when I got my car in V7 I could drive for an hour without nags.
But I will say AP1 is much smoother than when I first got it.

Can you elaborate a bit on that?

Yea, it's not even close to as good as it was when it first came out. Actually it was at it's best on the first update a few months later.

1) Nags - I used to be able to drive for 20 minutes or more on the freeway and not get nagged. Now it's literally every 15 seconds and that's WITH my hands on the wheels. Every 15 seconds it asks me to tug on the wheel. Just holding your hands on the wheel is no longer good enough. Half the time the force required to get rid of the nag kicks you out of auto steer. It's VERY distracting and the constant nags and my eyes looking down have resulted in auto pilot truly becoming dangerous. It's no about keeping your hands on the wheel Tesla. It's about KEEPING YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD!!!

2) Speed limited on highways far below speed limit - My commute takes me on two lane highways that have 55 mph speed limits. The first 5 miles of this trek has no speed limit signs where I get on it and as such I'm limited to 50 mph while everyone flies by me at 65 in the 55. So I just can't use there at all. I don't even try any more.

3) Rubber banding - When autosteer was engaged you used to be able to tug on the wheel a little and get the car to rubber band to one side of the lane or the other. I found this quite useful when a car next to me or a car that I was about to pass was too close to my lane. Now I have to dis-engage in order to shift positions in the lane.

4) Lane centering doesn't work very well - Often the car will drift to one side of the lane or the other and it will show as such in the display...ie.. the system KNOWs that it's not in the center. It does this at least twice in two hour drive on my route at different random locations.

5) Stop and go TACC broken - In stop and go TACC with auto steer, when the car came to a complete stop because the car in front did, I now have to press the accelerator to get moving once the car in front starts moving. When the car in front starts moving, the dash will say "HOLD" until I tap the accelerator.

4) Lane centering doesn't work very well - Often the car will drift to one side of the lane or the other and it will show as such in the display...ie.. the system KNOWs that it's not in the center. It does this at least twice in two hour drive on my route at different random locations.
This is precisely why I very rarely use the lane keeping feature. My car drifts about curved, multi-lane freeways like a drunken sailor. If I try to nudge it or restrict it then it just disconnects.

Yea, it's not even close to as good as it was when it first came out. Actually it was at it's best on the first update a few months later.

5) Stop and go TACC broken - In stop and go TACC with auto steer, when the car came to a complete stop because the car in front did, I now have to press the accelerator to get moving once the car in front starts moving. When the car in front starts moving, the dash will say "HOLD" until I tap the accelerator.
Ummmm....that isn't normal.

1) Nags - I used to be able to drive for 20 minutes or more on the freeway and not get nagged. Now it's literally every 15 seconds and that's WITH my hands on the wheels. Every 15 seconds it asks me to tug on the wheel. Just holding your hands on the wheel is no longer good enough. Half the time the force required to get rid of the nag kicks you out of auto steer. It's VERY distracting and the constant nags and my eyes looking down have resulted in auto pilot truly becoming dangerous. It's no about keeping your hands on the wheel Tesla. It's about KEEPING YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD!!!

2) Speed limited on highways far below speed limit - My commute takes me on two lane highways that have 55 mph speed limits. The first 5 miles of this trek has no speed limit signs where I get on it and as such I'm limited to 50 mph while everyone flies by me at 65 in the 55. So I just can't use there at all. I don't even try any more.

3) Rubber banding - When autosteer was engaged you used to be able to tug on the wheel a little and get the car to rubber band to one side of the lane or the other. I found this quite useful when a car next to me or a car that I was about to pass was too close to my lane. Now I have to dis-engage in order to shift positions in the lane.

Sometimes it will go to "Hold" mode, requiring a press of the accelerator to continue moving.
Only happens after a long wait.

Sometimes it will go to "Hold" mode, requiring a press of the accelerator to continue moving.
Only happens after a long wait.

I haven't quite figured out what triggers Hold. It isn't just the length of wait - sometimes I've had Hold set only a few seconds after traffic stops, but it usually doesn't.

There's got to be something more the car sees that causes it to make that decision, but I haven't figured out what yet.

Reactions: ckoval7 and BerTX
I haven't quite figured out what triggers Hold. It isn't just the length of wait - sometimes I've had Hold set only a few seconds after traffic stops, but it usually doesn't.

There's got to be something more the car sees that causes it to make that decision, but I haven't figured out what yet.
Agreed. Sometimes I feel like it's the delay, but then occasionally it activates with little delay.
The joys of Tesla...