Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I get FSD from this used Tesla (non-Tesla dealership)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost my Model X with FSD due to getting t-boned a while back. I finally found a similar spec vehicle at a used car dealership. Under Software it says:

Full Self Driving Capability
Included package

Software
v11.1

Full Self-Driving (Supervised) Software
v12.3.6

They took possession of the vehicle only a couple of days ago. The dealership has yet to "claim" the Tesla in an app or on tesla.com. If they claim it, then I buy it and transfer the title and the vehicle to my tesla account, will FSD be enabled for the life of the vehicle? I keep reading mixed reports that it only works if its private to private sale. If a dealership gets involved, its game over. What if I ask the dealership not to register with tesla? So the VIN according to Tesla.com has only gone from Original owner to me, but the vehicle title will have shown the used car dealership as the middleman. Or does it not matter at all?

The dealership may be legally required to take ownership with the appropriate regional authority before transferring it to you (this could vary by jurisdiction), but I don't think they'd have to claim it with Tesla. In any case, Tesla probably can't legally remove FSD when they don't own the vehicle if it is included with the VIN and may not even be able to legally remove FSD when they don't own the vehicle if it is sold aftermarket (they could only do so if there are terms agreed to during the sell of FSD that explicitly state it isn't transferrable or something). There have been reports that Tesla has taken this (illegal) action in some instances, and there have also been reports that Tesla has reversed the action in some instances. Since all of the reports come from third parties, it is difficult to say if Tesla has ever actually removed FSD based on a registration transfer (they may have, and someone may have posted proof, but you'd have to find it) as opposed to, for instance, effectively removing it after selling a trade-in at auction because a removal while it was in their possession wasn't processed in a timely manner.

All of that said, it is difficult to be confident in the answer to your question, so you may benefit from turning the question around and focusing on yourself. Can you find out if FSD was included with the VIN? Can you find terms for FSD sells to see if there is any transfer lingo? Are you willing to purchase, subscribe to, or sue for FSD if the vehicle loses it? Do you have any other options that might add some protection/reassurance with regard to the inclusion of FSD on this vehicle?

Reactions: Bigriver
FSD transfers. If Tesla ever re-owned the car, they have every right to reconfigure the car in any way, including removing or adding FSD. If they didn’t re-own it at any time, they have no right to remove it. It should transfer for both non-Tesla dealership and private sales, no difference.

The only story I heard that I thought was credible was a car had been sold by Tesla at auction, a dealer bought it, then sold it to a new owner. After the new owner took possession, Tesla removed FSD after an audit that this car wasn’t “supposed” to have it.

This gets asked all the time. Buying a used vehicle NOT from Tesla with fsd then it WILL transfer.

Source: I bought two used vehicles with FSD and both transferred.

The dealer wont put the the car into their name with Tesla. Theres no reason to.

That depends whether it's been through Tesla ownership on its way to the dealer selling it to you. Tesla sells a lot of trade-in vehicles to other dealers at auctions. They strip FSD and FUSC from those.
And then it should not show up in the car. If the car shows it has FSD, if the paperwork says it has FSD, then the FSD is there to stay as long as it is not traded back into Tesla.

That depends whether it's been through Tesla ownership on its way to the dealer selling it to you. Tesla sells a lot of trade-in vehicles to other dealers at auctions. They strip FSD and FUSC from those.

I think you are missing the point. If you are looking at a vehicle on a dealer lot and FSD is an "included package" then it transfers. How would anyone know if a vehicle went from the owner, to tesla, to a 3rd party? You are over analyzing his very simple question. The OP seen a car on a lot and FSD says included package. It transfers.