Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy a 2016 Tesla X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dude... They'd have to put other glass on the car to sell it to the customer, and it's pretty simply a case of fraud. That's the sort of thing that can get a dealer shut down REALLY fast and their license revoked, and would definitely make the news / lawsuit circuit really fast.

I'll take "things that just aren't happening" for $500 Alex.
I don't think you're getting it. That's the idea. The glass on one car is perfectly fine, lets say your car that you want to buy. They slip up a contract to you that says its as is etc. Then once you sign they swap out your perfectly fine glass with lets say another X that is maybe newer but has cracks or small spidering that is unnoticeable unless you look closely. Then they use your perfectly fine glass and put it in the better X.

And of course a dealer would be in big trouble, but what are you going to do? Its a bad world out there and people get away with these things all the time. On top of that the dealer has that fk you money to defend a lawsuit, and you probably dont have 100k sitting in your account to hire a lawyer. And they know this.

Spidering? Lol. It's tempered glass. It's either broken or it isn't, b/c it doesn't just sit there slowly cracking like a windshield might. It splatters with cracks if it is tinted / laminated in any way, and if that's already happened then it WILL shatter on the attempt to remove... Or it's already shattered if not tinted / laminated.

Source: I've broken the roof panels myself (damn doors and spine plate out of alignment) and the rear window on an S. None were subtle or able to be removed without trashing them completely.

It's just not happening that way. There's nothing to "get" about it.

Spidering? Lol. It's tempered glass. It's either broken or it isn't, b/c it doesn't just sit there slowly cracking like a windshield might. It splatters with cracks if it is tinted / laminated in any way, and if that's already happened then it WILL shatter on the attempt to remove... Or it's already shattered if not tinted / laminated.

Source: I've broken the roof panels myself (damn doors and spine plate out of alignment) and the rear window on an S. None were subtle or able to be removed without trashing them completely.

It's just not happening that way. There's nothing to "get" about it.
Look you get what i mean alright. I'm not trying to be all politically correct here. You got the point.

And clearly you are wrong about the shattering because I've removed and replaced a cracked roof glass on my X and it did not shatter so your source must not be all that great.

The updated parts lower the motor by a tiny amount so the problem "hopefully" is resolved now. Time will tell.
Interesting, i've never heard of this either...

The roof glass used can be sold for 700-900 bucks. New 1200. It's really easy to take out. Other forums/threads on this.

It ws probably the fog lights that used bulbs for older ones, idk. not here to be completely politically correct. point is the lights cost alot.

Each ultrasonic sensor is about $285 with labor. and there's like idk 10 USS or so on the car.

Many dealers may swap out the Air Suspension component and resell it or put it in one of their other cars too.
Thanks i get that but sounds like a task for low level dealers, i don't think big lot/brand dealers will bother with such things
Esp since any time u try to remove any glass u risk cracking it
But sure things like USS make sense, chinese ones are super cheap but oem are expensive n so on...

I know I've seen it somewhere, maybe it was in the TSB instructions. But my recollection is the procedure is to install a couple shims that lower the motor position a small amount, to flatten out the CV angle when the vehicle is at medium ride height.

I've worked with Jeeps that have more severe CV angles from the factory and don't destroy them, so I don't understand why Tesla couldn't be bothered to find a design that was more robust.

I've got the $350 set on one of my two 2016 X right now, need to get the other one done eventually - it just started clicking under hard acceleration but is not driven like that much. Just a lot of high speed highway. Running at low position is annoying though and doesn't offer any range benefit so why would I do it? Looks? Nah. I don't care for the look of an SUV scraping the pavement.

I know I've seen it somewhere, maybe it was in the TSB instructions. But my recollection is the procedure is to install a couple shims that lower the motor position a small amount, to flatten out the CV angle when the vehicle is at medium ride height.

I've worked with Jeeps that have more severe CV angles from the factory and don't destroy them, so I don't understand why Tesla couldn't be bothered to find a design that was more robust.

I've got the $350 set on one of my two 2016 X right now, need to get the other one done eventually - it just started clicking under hard acceleration but is not driven like that much. Just a lot of high speed highway. Running at low position is annoying though and doesn't offer any range benefit so why would I do it? Looks? Nah. I don't care for the look of an SUV scraping the pavement.
How many miles a year are the jeeps driven in 4WD? And what is the torque supplied during that drive.

AWD and lots of torque is wears these CVs quickly

How many miles a year are the jeeps driven in 4WD? And what is the torque supplied during that drive.

AWD and lots of torque is wears these CVs quickly
The specific torque amount is irrelevant - it is either designed to handle the supply of the vehicle or it isn't. Also the wearing happens as they are flexing in rotating whether they are driven or not. If parts are rotating, then there is likely wear to attend to eventually. The Jeeps have shafts that are designed to handle what they can dish out. The Teslas don't.

Jeep Grand Cherokees have a full time 4WD system that is always active, I had one drive nearly 300k miles with the original axles. Eventually (after 220k miles) wore out one of the differentials that had NEVER been serviced, but the other lasted the full life of the car on the original gear fluid.

The others I was referencing are diesel Jeep Liberty models and I travel the country working on the engines. The forward CV axles are ALWAYS being spun from the rotation of the wheels, the disconnect is in the transfer case and there are three shafts that are continuously rotating and flexing whenever the vehicle is moving. The shaft to the transfer case is actually the one that wears out the most - and the CV fails because the smaller inside boot gets damaged by constant flexing that wears out the rubber and then road grit gets into the joint and chews it up. This can be solved by simply reversing the shaft's installation and putting that inside boot at a less severe angle on the differential end rather than the transfer case end.

Either way, again these have hundreds of thousands of miles in service without flying apart unless they are damaged in some way. Tesla didn't design this setup very well OR they selected components that cannot handle the flexing AND being under that amount of power.

Dude... They'd have to put other glass on the car to sell it to the customer, and it's pretty simply a case of fraud. That's the sort of thing that can get a dealer shut down REALLY fast and their license revoked, and would definitely make the news / lawsuit circuit really fast.

I'll take "things that just aren't happening" for $500 Alex.
Thanks so much for your reply. I realize there’s not much range with his car. But mostly bought it to drive around town. I really don’t think the range is enough for me to feel comfortable taking it on a long trip.

So I went ahead and bought the car. I’ve put a couple hundred miles on it. Seems to
The range on trips won't be that bad when you have free supercharging. I tow with my X90D and even when NOT towing the range is not more than 180 miles anyway on a FULL charge... So you get used to stopping every 2 hours for 15 minutes.

FUSC isn't limited to just one transfer, that's the limit on the newer SC05 version. This year will have (if it still does) the SC01.

You won't know for certain until you have it in your app and can log in and pull the option codes from Tesla's website BUT if the screen in the car says that Premium Connectivity is an "included package" rather than with an expiration date... Then it SHOULD have FUSC too. TAKE PICTURES of the screens for proof before you sign the paperwork. Make the existence of the free supercharging a condition of the purchase.
The range on trips won't be that bad when you have free supercharging. I tow with my X90D and even when NOT towing the range is not more than 180 miles anyway on a FULL charge... So you get used to stopping every 2 hours for 15 minutes.

FUSC isn't limited to just one transfer, that's the limit on the newer SC05 version. This year will have (if it still does) the SC01.

You won't know for certain until you have it in your app and can log in and pull the option codes from Tesla's website BUT if the screen in the car says that Premium Connectivity is an "included package" rather than with an expiration date... Then it SHOULD have FUSC too. TAKE PICTURES of the screens for proof before you sign the paperwork. Make the existence of the free supercharging a condition of the purchase.

Reactions: towndrunk
I wanted to take a moment to extend my thanks to this community for guiding me through the pros and cons of buying of buying a used Tesla X Your insights, advice, and shared experiences were invaluable in making my decision. After covering approximately 350 miles in my new to me ride, I’m thrilled to report that it seems to be running beautifully. A pleasant surprise was that the free supercharging offer did indeed transfer with the car.

However, it’s not all smooth sailing. I’ve encountered a couple of issues that I hope to find solutions for, possibly with your help once again.

Firstly, the control wheel on the right side of the steering wheel is unresponsive. This glitch has me puzzled, as it’s quite an essential feature for navigation and media control.

Additionally, I’m facing a significant challenge with the car’s connectivity. Despite trying every trick in the book, including attempting to use a hotspot from my phone, the car refuses to connect to the Internet. This has left me scratching my head about how to manage software updates, which are crucial for keeping the car in its best shape.

Last but not least, the key fob has suddenly become unrecognized by the car. After replacing the battery and exhausting all troubleshooting tips I could find online, there’s been no luck in getting it recognized again. For now, I’ve been relying on my phone to unlock the car and placing the fob in the center console, which does the trick. Strangely, the car locks itself automatically when I walk away, which adds to the mystery.

I’m reaching out to see if anyone has experienced similar issues or has any advice on tackling these challenges.

Thank you once again

I wanted to take a moment to extend my thanks to this community for guiding me through the pros and cons of buying of buying a used Tesla X Your insights, advice, and shared experiences were invaluable in making my decision. After covering approximately 350 miles in my new to me ride, I’m thrilled to report that it seems to be running beautifully. A pleasant surprise was that the free supercharging offer did indeed transfer with the car.

However, it’s not all smooth sailing. I’ve encountered a couple of issues that I hope to find solutions for, possibly with your help once again.

Firstly, the control wheel on the right side of the steering wheel is unresponsive. This glitch has me puzzled, as it’s quite an essential feature for navigation and media control.

Additionally, I’m facing a significant challenge with the car’s connectivity. Despite trying every trick in the book, including attempting to use a hotspot from my phone, the car refuses to connect to the Internet. This has left me scratching my head about how to manage software updates, which are crucial for keeping the car in its best shape.

Last but not least, the key fob has suddenly become unrecognized by the car. After replacing the battery and exhausting all troubleshooting tips I could find online, there’s been no luck in getting it recognized again. For now, I’ve been relying on my phone to unlock the car and placing the fob in the center console, which does the trick. Strangely, the car locks itself automatically when I walk away, which adds to the mystery.

I’m reaching out to see if anyone has experienced similar issues or has any advice on tackling these challenges.

Thank you once again

For the steering wheel: You might first try a reboot (it's a computer and they need this occasionally) and it might solve the internet issue as well.
Methods in ascending order of complexity / annoyance:
1: Hold both scroll wheels down on the steering wheel until you see the logo come back up on the center screen. This is called the MCU btw.
2: On the MCU, go to the "service" page (might be called safety, I don't have my car nearby to check) and choose "wheel configuration" and change it from what you have to something else. When you apply the settings the computers SHOULD reboot around 15-20 seconds later. This may not happen depending on the software version though. It's helpful to choose a different color of wheel so it is obvious on the dashboard screen when the wheels change. You can of course change it right back after it reboots.
3: On the MCU in the "safety" page, choose the "power off" option and then DO NOTHING AT ALL AND DON'T EVEN REALLY MOVE MUCH in the car for the next 2+ minutes. Even adjusting in the seat can change the seat weight sensor and wake it up before it has gone to sleep. This one though is the least likely to be effective as a reboot.
4: The most guaranteed to work as a reboot no matter what, AND the most complicated to do: Open the Frunk. Pull up on the plastic panel at the base of the windshield (it just lifts out) and look to the passenger side: That plastic wire loom loop with the orange tag is the "fireman's loop" and when you unplug this it will isolate the high voltage battery - shutting off those functions. IT WILL NOT REBOOT THE CAR THOUGH. For that, you will need a 13mm wrench or socket and extender - look to the right of the fireman's loop and below the plastic tray at the base of the windshield, just to your left of the coolant bottle / cap at the center of the window, you will see a shiny aluminum nut on a stud with ONE black wire in it. This is the primary ground from the 12v battery. Undo the nut while holding the cable down - then lift the cable off in as smooth a way as possible. There WILL be a little bit of sparking here b/c the computers are powered up and about 200 watts continuously is flowing from the battery to keep them all awake. Count to 5 and put it all back together in order, the computers have now been "hard booted" and the car will come up in around 30-40 seconds or so.
Note: That ground stud is aluminum and FRAGILE so don't be a gorilla or you will twist it right off. 5-10 ft-lbs (hand tight) is plenty of torque there.

For the key fob: Maybe the reboot will help, but it sounds like you don't have a functional battery for the fob. It's a weird size, CR2354, that is only readily available from Amazon and frequently they are dead on arrival. They also don't last for crap. Try another battery and ensure that the contacts aren't broken / loose when you are inserting the battery. You cannot program the fob yourself, only the service center can. They can make you a new one for (IIRC) about $175 but at least it will come with a warranty. Use a cover for the fob and don't store it within 30 feet of the car or it will suck that fob battery flat in less than a week by never going to sleep.

If the control wheel on the steering wheel never comes back, they CAN be replaced individually - don't ask at the service center, those clowns will want to charge you for an AIRBAG to do it! Buy the button modules off Ebay as a pair and replace them, you will have to pull the airbag (This WILL require that hard boot procedure above) and waiting 20 minutes with the door open to let the airbag safety drain. Then pull the bag and you can pull the wheel center apart to replace the buttons.

The service manual is available free in Tesla's service section of the website. It doesn't have everything, but it has most of the information to do this work, and you don't need to program those switches.

For the steering wheel: You might first try a reboot (it's a computer and they need this occasionally) and it might solve the internet issue as well.
Methods in ascending order of complexity / annoyance:
1: Hold both scroll wheels down on the steering wheel until you see the logo come back up on the center screen. This is called the MCU btw.
2: On the MCU, go to the "service" page (might be called safety, I don't have my car nearby to check) and choose "wheel configuration" and change it from what you have to something else. When you apply the settings the computers SHOULD reboot around 15-20 seconds later. This may not happen depending on the software version though. It's helpful to choose a different color of wheel so it is obvious on the dashboard screen when the wheels change. You can of course change it right back after it reboots.
3: On the MCU in the "safety" page, choose the "power off" option and then DO NOTHING AT ALL AND DON'T EVEN REALLY MOVE MUCH in the car for the next 2+ minutes. Even adjusting in the seat can change the seat weight sensor and wake it up before it has gone to sleep. This one though is the least likely to be effective as a reboot.
4: The most guaranteed to work as a reboot no matter what, AND the most complicated to do: Open the Frunk. Pull up on the plastic panel at the base of the windshield (it just lifts out) and look to the passenger side: That plastic wire loom loop with the orange tag is the "fireman's loop" and when you unplug this it will isolate the high voltage battery - shutting off those functions. IT WILL NOT REBOOT THE CAR THOUGH. For that, you will need a 13mm wrench or socket and extender - look to the right of the fireman's loop and below the plastic tray at the base of the windshield, just to your left of the coolant bottle / cap at the center of the window, you will see a shiny aluminum nut on a stud with ONE black wire in it. This is the primary ground from the 12v battery. Undo the nut while holding the cable down - then lift the cable off in as smooth a way as possible. There WILL be a little bit of sparking here b/c the computers are powered up and about 200 watts continuously is flowing from the battery to keep them all awake. Count to 5 and put it all back together in order, the computers have now been "hard booted" and the car will come up in around 30-40 seconds or so.
Note: That ground stud is aluminum and FRAGILE so don't be a gorilla or you will twist it right off. 5-10 ft-lbs (hand tight) is plenty of torque there.

For the key fob: Maybe the reboot will help, but it sounds like you don't have a functional battery for the fob. It's a weird size, CR2354, that is only readily available from Amazon and frequently they are dead on arrival. They also don't last for crap. Try another battery and ensure that the contacts aren't broken / loose when you are inserting the battery. You cannot program the fob yourself, only the service center can. They can make you a new one for (IIRC) about $175 but at least it will come with a warranty. Use a cover for the fob and don't store it within 30 feet of the car or it will suck that fob battery flat in less than a week by never going to sleep.

If the control wheel on the steering wheel never comes back, they CAN be replaced individually - don't ask at the service center, those clowns will want to charge you for an AIRBAG to do it! Buy the button modules off Ebay as a pair and replace them, you will have to pull the airbag (This WILL require that hard boot procedure above) and waiting 20 minutes with the door open to let the airbag safety drain. Then pull the bag and you can pull the wheel center apart to replace the buttons.

The service manual is available free in Tesla's service section of the website. It doesn't have everything, but it has most of the information to do this work, and you don't need to program those switches.
Thanks for your tips. Actually, both key fobs were working fine so I assumed it was a battery replaced it in the one it still didn’t work and now the other ones not working. I did do a reset holding down both wheels on the steering wheel. When everything booted back on it didn’t help nothingI did do a reset holding down both wheels on the steering wheel. When everything booted back up. it didn’t help anything work.

Sounds like that encoder on the wheel quit working then but the button still works. So that says it is in the steering wheel. You can get replacements for that, here's one option I found pretty quick:

Sounds like that encoder on the wheel quit working then but the button still works. So that says it is in the steering wheel. You can get replacements for that, here's one option I found pretty quick:

Thank you

Reactions: geordi
That's even more indication that the button module needs to be replaced. Grab that ebay listing and some screwdrivers and go to town. You'll be happy with the fix.
Thanks I’ll go ahead and order it. I’m not sure I trust my mechanical skills. I’ll see if I can find somebody that can put it in.

i’ve tried absolutely everything just can’t get the Wi-Fi to work. When I try to use a hotspot with my cell phone, it’s only showing two bars in the Tesla, but it will not hook up.

Where are you located - nearest major city? Electrified Garage might be some assistance, but I might also be available. I travel to work on Diesel Jeeps and have been thinking about adding classic Teslas as an option for support if there is a need. I'm in the Northeast (Bridgeport CT) but that whole "traveling" thing means I could be in your driveway too.

Where are you located - nearest major city? Electrified Garage might be some assistance, but I might also be available. I travel to work on Diesel Jeeps and have been thinking about adding classic Teslas as an option for support if there is a need. I'm in the Northeast (Bridgeport CT) but that whole "traveling" thing means I could be in your driveway too.
I’m literally in the middle of nowhere. I’m in Parkersburg West Virginia. Roughly 2 hours south east of Columbus, Ohio. Approximately three hours south from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and roughly 3 hours away from Cleveland Ohio. Those will be the three closest cities. Well relatively big cities anyway L O L we have a service department here that supposedly getting certified on Teslas. But my understanding only Tesla works on Tesla. Tesla wouldn’t even talk to my Mercedes dealership about parts or anything.