Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model Y be shipped or only produced locally?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

heltok

Aug 12, 2014
Sweden
Do you think any Model Y from Freemont will reach Europe or will Europe have to wait until Giga Berlin is up and running for the first Model Y? Same for Asia? One Y production line for each continent?

Who knows, it probably depends on how big the backlog is and how much the Germans can add to the 1 year China build schedule.

I think that this is going to be an interesting exercise to watch. The build times for very similar factories in different countries.

Well the building time itself is one thing (google BER airport .... )
But the question is when will they actually start building it. There have been quite a few protests against it for dubious reasons - makes you wonder how much the German auto industry is behind the scenes.
I am sure once it is up and running it will put out the best quality Teslas worldwide, but my guess is that this won't happen before 2024.

Imagine that will depend of supply and local demand for the Model Y.

For China they began to ship American Model 3's until the Asia Gigafactory got up and running. Initially a lot of the components will be also shipped from USA until they can also be locally produced in Asia. Currently the Corona virus has essentially stopped much production at that factory, so maybe more US production will need to be sent over.

Well the building time itself is one thing (google BER airport .... )
But the question is when will they actually start building it. There have been quite a few protests against it for dubious reasons - makes you wonder how much the German auto industry is behind the scenes.
I am sure once it is up and running it will put out the best quality Teslas worldwide, but my guess is that this won't happen before 2024.

Well they built Shanghai in less than a year. I understand you talking about the airport that never opened but that had a lot of crazy circumstances and many more organizations involved with its building. Plus it's an airport which is completely different. I personally think though start production out of that factory next year and if they're importing model threes, why wouldn't they just import model Ys as well?

Well they built Shanghai in less than a year. I understand you talking about the airport that never opened but that had a lot of crazy circumstances and many more organizations involved with its building. Plus it's an airport which is completely different. I personally think though start production out of that factory next year and if they're importing model threes, why wouldn't they just import model Ys as well?
I have lived both in China and in Europe so I can compare the speed of getting things done and well.. it is absolutely not comparable. Things that take 1 year in China usually take 3-5 years in Europe (road constructions, buildings etc). And add to that the current protests against that Tesla factory in Germany, it makes me see it in a rather pessimistic light. I want to get a Model Y or S later this year or beginning of 2021 and I know for sure it won't be made in Europe.