Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will US Tesla work in Europe?

Will a US purchased Tesla work in Europe if shipped there?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've lived in the UK and Germany and have owned American cars in both countries. I have also imported cars (as personal imports) in both directions. Taking an American car sold new in Belgium from UK to Germany was fairly easy (because it was EU spec). Taking two cars sold new in Italy and Germany back to the UK was a nightmare (despite both being EU spec) - It took over a year and considerable expense to get one of them registered. It really isn't worth it unless the car is incredibly unique or special to you, unless you enjoy fighting with bureaucracy, lack of manufacturer support for grey imports, expensive insurance, etc. Then there's all the charging issues discussed above.

A163706C-FAB3-415B-BBE7-5E3223C74331.jpeg 8AFB35E7-997A-41D3-83D1-9640BD02A9C4.jpeg

I found an adapter but it’s way over priced.

how much did it cost?

if your goal with the adapter is free supercharging so you could save a few cents per kWh on electricity.. spending a few thousand (or even a few hundred) dollars on an adapter does not make sense. however, if your goal is to take your Tesla on cute road trips that would otherwise be Impossible without access to the SCer network.. a few thousand dollars could be worth every penny.

BTW that adapter looks different than the one in the 1st post of this thread. I know adapters are often upgraded and improved over time -- but there will be a lot of power pushing through this adapter.. you want something that is well built and unto the task.

It’s not possible to use a Tesla supercharger for free, it gets your payment info from your Vin number.

This adapter is used to have access to the supercharger network in the eu, and it works... it stays nice and cool.

It’s a measly 1300€. lol

It’s not possible to use a Tesla supercharger for free, it gets your payment info from your Vin number.

This adapter is used to have access to the supercharger network in the eu, and it works... it stays nice and cool.

It’s a measly 1300€. lol

where do you get it for EUR 1300? is it being offered by Tesla? or made by some weird 3rd party with a sketchy low lighting video?

I have free unlimited supercharging for life.. and I would easily consider paying EUR 1,300 for the ability to SuperCharge if I were to ship my S to Europe. then again, It would be shipped to Greece which is, as of this writing, a SCer no-man's-land... but should that ever change..

It’s a measly 1300€. lol

Any chance you can link this product?
Contrary to what some are saying, I think it may be far cheaper to import my Model 3 to Germany then to purchase a one (even used) there. If you lived in the US for 12 months prior, you don't have to pay VAT or Duty on a car you bring with you. That saves the equivalent of like $15,000.

Reactions: Galve2000
Contrary to what some are saying, I think it may be far cheaper to import my Model 3 to Germany then to purchase a one (even used) there.

I hope to do the same thing with my US Model S.. eventually ship it to Greece. Not that there are any SCers there.. but there may be at some point.. and it will be nice to take advantage of them every now and again.

Contrary to what some are saying, I think it may be far cheaper to import my Model 3 to Germany then to purchase a one (even used) there. If you lived in the US for 12 months prior, you don't have to pay VAT or Duty on a car you bring with you. That saves the equivalent of like $15,000.

Even if you ignore the charging and the lighting issues, having no service from Tesla is a huge issue. What would you do if you have a drive unit failure? Instead of getting a replacement under warranty you would have to order the part, ship it and have it replaced by a third party.

Even if you ignore the charging and the lighting issues, having no service from Tesla is a huge issue. What would you do if you have a drive unit failure? Instead of getting a replacement under warranty you would have to order the part, ship it and have it replaced by a third party.
I'll probably be at 40-50K miles by the time I would consider moving, so I would only have that drive unit / battery warranty. It is unlikely anything would happen, these cars are built to withstand may more miles then the warranty accounts for. If something did happen, I suppose I lost that savings, maybe I would have to ship it back & forth prior to a state visit (clearly not ideal).

Another thing is I can pack the car with personal belongings before I move.

Bite my tongue, you know, the more I read the more discouraged I become about attempting this. It really just sounds like Tesla doesn't want people doing this. I'd be worried that nothing would work in it. Maybe I just won't get a car for a while there, lol.