Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you share your Tesla?

Will you share your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This whole thing is a bunch of make believe.

It's so Tesla can introduce a business case model which is great for them, but it's not reflective of the consumer at all. As evidence look at the poll result. Why in the world would a person with a $100K share it out?

Easy, the average uber driver makes $40k per year. You only need your car to get to work and to get home.The rest of the time the car could be making money while you are busy at work. Even if they undercut uber prices and it made $20K per year, that's significant, especially for a Model 3. Let's say after you get home you let the car work for a few more hours and you're averaging 40k+ per year. After three years that easily pays for the car and any maintenance.

If a person didn't mind sharing it's a great way for a person who can't afford a fully loaded car to pay for it.

(and no I won't be doing it, unless I'm feeling ballsy and have the best insurance coverage money can offer with $0 deductible)

This whole thing is a bunch of make believe.

It's so Tesla can introduce a business case model which is great for them, but it's not reflective of the consumer at all. As evidence look at the poll result. Why in the world would a person with a $100K share it out?

The plan is about Tesla's network which means they're going to get a cut of the profit. Odds are they'll have lots of cars within the network which brings down any money you make on your car. It will quickly get to the point where you won't make diddly squat on it even if you did go for it.

Now now.... you cant really have it both ways, either no one would share their car, in which case the plan would die off, or so many people would share that you would not make any money, but probably not both.<grin>.

Looking at the above numbers, almost 6% of people said they would definitely share... which if you extrapolate that to say 100,000 cars means that 6,000 cars could be in the system, spread across whatever Geo's they launched this in. (say 20 cities across the US? that would be 300 cars per city.)

OK, Honestly, I don't have any numbers to go further than that to know if it would get to the diddly squat point or not (I don't know the market, or the saturation points, or realistic charging, or... lots of unknowns... ) but it doesn't feel impossible to me.

I also think we are so far away from this being reality that we are mostly talking about science fiction at this point anyway. First we will need to see autonomous cars actually working well enough to be let loose. then we need to see the various governmental regions approve it for personal use (I suspect it will be approved for use with a driver in the car for at least some period of time before it is approved for completely unattended use) then we will have to fight the local political power of the cab companies and drivers unions since operating this (with model 3's at least) would be FAR cheaper than running Cabs or Uber or anything else!

I also suspect that the people who will jump on this first will be the delivery companies. I'm sure that for companies like 7-11. McDonalds, Target, Costco, Walmart, etc, the idea of autonomous delivery trucks from warehouses to stores would make their accountants have wet dreams.

BUT, having said all of that, if no one dreams about this stuff and tries to push it forward, we will never get there, so I applaud everyone who is trying to do get it working, and if you, (*like me) don't plan on letting them use your car, no problem, that's even better for the ones who do!

Easy, the average uber driver makes $40k per year. You only need your car to get to work and to get home.The rest of the time the car could be making money while you are busy at work.

I agree. An EV can be almost tool-like... as opposed to Tesla's posh, personalized approach to cars.
Think easily maintainable, washable and/or replaceable upholstery, rugged board instruments, that sort of thing.
In self-driving mode the EV won't need you around to monitor the whole ride-hailing.
You can do that from behind your laptop or smartphone, giving you command over the two or three on-board camera's.

Nope. I am a car guy and very particular about who is in, what they do, how they interact with my car. Food/drink is ok, but watch your feet on the door!

I have very little need for AP other than maybe using it as super cruise control on long boring trips on straight highways.

I see the benefit of the Tesla Network with lending personal cars, but I'd never participate.

Most likely the compensation for allowing others to use your Tesla will be on par with the UBER premium vehicle rates that goes to drivers. In other words..Just a bit more than JACK SQUAT, ZILCH, NADA, etc.

Even for a Model 3 owner, the risk of bad outcomes on the road doesn't even make any sense so strangers can get a ride, even if the managing company provided full insurance coverage..just try to pin a cigarette burn on those white seats on some random rider of the day.

So just like the assumption by Tesla that municipalities will fully allow an empty autonomous car on the road, so unlikely is the prediction that Tesla owners will want to risk their cars for pennies while "ubering" around disconnected riders.

Yet I love my Tesla and all it currently has to offer... But Elon is just a bit of a dreamer in his predictions.

Unless I or a qualified driver is in the driver seat, my Tesla remains parked.

I am considering doing a followup poll, based on the comments and suggestions that were made (thx. for them!).
Tesla ought to be interested, I'd say. Thinking about other business models besides selling cars to their owners might help to expand business. Not opportune the coming years I admit, since so many signed up for the Model 3. But after that...

In the new poll people can chose more options. I already changed the text of my avatar accordingly...