Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield haze and black interior discoloration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have these issues? It’s a new plaid.
The windshield appears slightly hazy under sunlight. Nothing will clean it out. It looks like a manufacturing issue inside the glass laminate. Maybe it’s all within spec?

The interior(black) door trim and seats have small areas of slight whitening on trim. It looks like someone didn’t put enough black paint on it. It’s prevalent on drivers door. Perhaps it’s from rubbing when exiting vehicle. But, It wasn’t me. It was deliveried like this.

It's not just the Model S. I noticed it right away over 2 years ago when I got my M3. It's really pronounced when it's raining and your wipers make a swipe. There's a serious haze there for a couple seconds until it evaporates. On a rainy night meeting a car with their brights on, it's very very hard to see where you're going.

I had my M3 at a detail shop where they tried everything they had in their arsenal to remove that haze. Nothing worked. As a last resort they coated the windshield with ceramic. Even THAT had no effect, which I could hardly believe.

I think it CAN be removed though. The reason I think so is that there is a place in my windshield where there is no haze after a swipe. It is a narrow strip where the right wiper hits its leftmost position then flips over to return back towards the right. It's like that place gets continuous scrubbing by the wiper as it flips back & forth.

Model S and Model 3, the same. Someone, please come up with something.

Upvote 0
It's not just the Model S. I noticed it right away over 2 years ago when I got my M3. It's really pronounced when it's raining and your wipers make a swipe. There's a serious haze there for a couple seconds until it evaporates. On a rainy night meeting a car with their brights on, it's very very hard to see where you're going.

I had my M3 at a detail shop where they tried everything they had in their arsenal to remove that haze. Nothing worked. As a last resort they coated the windshield with ceramic. Even THAT had no effect, which I could hardly believe.

I think it CAN be removed though. The reason I think so is that there is a place in my windshield where there is no haze after a swipe. It is a narrow strip where the right wiper hits its leftmost position then flips over to return back towards the right. It's like that place gets continuous scrubbing by the wiper as it flips back & forth.

Try a Mr Clean magic eraser with some water. I have used that to take dried mineral deposits off car windshields that formed from well water sprinklers wetting the glass and then baking in the sun for hours. Don't forget to start with as clean a windshield as possible to avoid scratches from any dirt on the glass. I use Sprayway glass cleaner which leaves no residue. Then go over it with the Mr Clean magic eraser.

Upvote 0
Same here, end of June delivery MSLR.
As for the door trims - have you been using sunscreen? I had the same issue until I figured the sunscreen that my wife puts transfers onto the leather and leaves white patches that make the trim look like defective but it comes off with this:
GYEON Quartz Q²M LeatherCleaner Mild 500 ml - Gentle Leather Cleaner Safe for All Leather Types - Remove Dirt and Oil from All Leather to Prepare for https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NS6BLTK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_1FlMDSVgpJvgI

Upvote 0

I have the same thing. The haze streak is everywhere on the windshield for 2-3 seconds before disappearing. Very dangerous driving at night in the city with lights absorbed by the haze streaks and making it very hard to see.

I have the same clear spot when the left wiper is completely vertical. I also have clean spots where the suction cup circles from where they installed the glass which makes me think there must be a way to remove the haze.

I’ve tried RainX Glass Cleaner, Clay bar, Iso Alcohol, with no success. I’ve seen that Sprayway Glass Cleaner may be the solution so that’s my next attempt. Anyone else find a solution?

Reactions: CA_Elektra
Upvote 0
Update:
I booked a service appointment and the mobile team came.
He tried two things, 1) vinegar 2) 99.9% alcohol isopropyl in a spray bottle. The 2nd worked.

He sprayed half the windshield then really scrubbed with a microfibre towel. It takes a lot of force and iterations to get it all off but it worked. They then replaced the wipers for free to make sure it wasn’t something with them either.

He also advised to watch out for washer fluids with detergents in them because they can leave a hard film. Any way hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Update:
I booked a service appointment and the mobile team came.
He tried two things, 1) vinegar 2) 99.9% alcohol isopropyl in a spray bottle. The 2nd worked.

He sprayed half the windshield then really scrubbed with a microfibre towel. It takes a lot of force and iterations to get it all off but it worked. They then replaced the wipers for free to make sure it wasn’t something with them either.

He also advised to watch out for washer fluids with detergents in them because they can leave a hard film. Any way hope that helps.
I have a question since I also have this haze issue on my refresh Model S.

Is the haze on the interior or the exterior of the windshield? Or both?

I had my windshield tinted as well and it just made the haze look even worse, so my tint guy will replace it at no charge if I want him to, but I'll need to get it really clean first.

Reactions: CA_Elektra
Upvote 0
I have a question since I also have this haze issue on my refresh Model S.

Is the haze on the interior or the exterior of the windshield? Or both?

I had my windshield tinted as well and it just made the haze look even worse, so my tint guy will replace it at no charge if I want him to, but I'll need to get it really clean first.
Mine was only on the outside only. Here’s what it looked like, the haze would stay 2-3 seconds after the wiper would pass.
The alcohol trick worked and no problems now. Just need some patience and force.

Attachments

• 8C3D77A5-F6DE-4FB8-A5B7-4F3070C39EE1.jpeg
    8C3D77A5-F6DE-4FB8-A5B7-4F3070C39EE1.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 9A2D6DD0-B16A-469F-A0FE-D0585DB2B504.jpeg
    9A2D6DD0-B16A-469F-A0FE-D0585DB2B504.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 130
  • BA904581-275F-49E9-B458-39F2BD6AAA61.jpeg
    BA904581-275F-49E9-B458-39F2BD6AAA61.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0
Anyone else have these issues? It’s a new plaid.
The windshield appears slightly hazy under sunlight. Nothing will clean it out. It looks like a manufacturing issue inside the glass laminate. Maybe it’s all within spec?

The interior(black) door trim and seats have small areas of slight whitening on trim. It looks like someone didn’t put enough black paint on it. It’s prevalent on drivers door. Perhaps it’s from rubbing when exiting vehicle. But, It wasn’t me. It was deliveried like this.
I have a 2018 M3 that also has haze on the windshield. I’ve tried everything, including alcohol, Sprayway, rubbing, and nothing has worked so far. I also had a professional detailer work on it. Nothing helped. I thought the dealer had done something to the windshield before delivering to me, but it looks like a common problem with Teslas. I hope this improved with the newer models. The haze kind of ruins the view on beautiful sunny days.

Upvote 0