Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield - is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I picked up my MY on 12/3 and the next day while driving into the sun I noticed the windshield glass looked like it was sandblasted with marks everywhere. Of course, when not at this angle it's hard to see anything wrong. I don't recall a new car looking like that, but maybe I'm being ridiculous. Attached a pic. I haven't tried any deep cleaner on the windshield yet, but the regular windshield fluid/wipers didn't take care of it.

Is it worth having the service center look at it?

Attachments

• PXL_20201203_201452675.jpg
    PXL_20201203_201452675.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 351
No that is not normal. However, I would clean the inside of the glass too just to be sure. In the photo it looks like spray residue and might just simply wipe off. If you have a waffle mesh style microfiber use that on both sides of the windshield. Hope that is all it is, otherwise need to get Tesla to look at it.

Might be paint overapray on the outside. My May delivery MY had that. Clay bar helped, but I ended up just polishing the glass to remove it. I had to treat with Aquapel after polishing because the polished glass was so hydrophilic, the wipers didn't keep up in heavy rain.

Reactions: Freewheeler
No that is not normal. However, I would clean the inside of the glass too just to be sure. In the photo it looks like spray residue and might just simply wipe off. If you have a waffle mesh style microfiber use that on both sides of the windshield. Hope that is all it is, otherwise need to get Tesla to look at it.

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...+GRAY+MATTER+MICROFIBER&qid=1607611032&sr=8-5 -- I just have regular microfiber at home currently

Might be paint overapray on the outside. My May delivery MY had that. Clay bar helped, but I ended up just polishing the glass to remove it. I had to treat with Aquapel after polishing because the polished glass was so hydrophilic, the wipers didn't keep up in heavy rain.

Just picked up a clay bar and luber from Chemical Guys, so will try that once I get it. Thanks.

So, I picked up my MY on 12/3 and the next day while driving into the sun I noticed the windshield glass looked like it was sandblasted with marks everywhere. Of course, when not at this angle it's hard to see anything wrong. I don't recall a new car looking like that, but maybe I'm being ridiculous. Attached a pic. I haven't tried any deep cleaner on the windshield yet, but the regular windshield fluid/wipers didn't take care of it.

Is it worth having the service center look at it?
My model y has this too from the factory. Did you ever get this resolved?

Yep took a couple times until they could see what was wrong, but ultimately they replaced the windshield under warranty. Turned out the windshield was warped a bit too.
Oh wow. I have this all over the front windshield, the back, and the top. I haven't noticed it on the side windows. I got my car in June and it's been there since then. I made an appt for Jan. How long does the warranty last. I have been procrastinating dealing with it cuz in the summer it wasn't to big of a deal (can only see it well when it's foggy or raining or at certain angles). Did they happen to say what the problem was? May help me when I take it in for service. Thank you.

I'm glad this thread surfaced as I was meaning to look for it because I noticed speckles on the windshield after about a month of ownership

Funny that it took that long to notice, but I think you have to be driving into the sun to see it. I'll be washing her (for the first time) this weekend, so I'll see if I can buff them out

Can also check this thread:

Thanks everyone. Here are some pictures I took of mine. When it gets condensation on it is when you can see it best. It's just terrible and it was like that from the beginning. The professional car washer guy I use just cleans them normally very well and no amount of cleaning seems to affect it.

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0805.jpeg
    IMG_0805.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0804.jpeg
    IMG_0804.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0801.jpeg
    IMG_0801.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0800.jpeg
    IMG_0800.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_8899.jpeg
    IMG_8899.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 206
I have had a couple of new cars come from the factory like that. I was able to use 50/50 water and 90% alcohol mixture and a little of elbow grease to get it off. If you sponge it on (is a small area at a time) and let it sit for about a minute - that works best. I did make the mistake of using ceramic wax on my windshield (won't do that again,) and that's how I got it off.

I got my new Tesla X last Saturday, and due to the overcast weather, only started noticing the same twinkles in it on Monday. It's so bad when driving into the sun that it is a serious safety issue. My old Tesla X that I drove for four years never had this problem. The button for the turn signals also seems to be malfunctioning. While the blinkers themselves work, the button makes a single very loud click when I first press it. Same with the microphone (didn't do that the first four days). I'm very disappointed in my "upgraded" model X.