Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesmanian Windshield Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
Posting this primarily as information for anyone looking and trying to decide:

I previously had a cheap sunshade I got at Autozone. It worked ok but didn't cover the windshield exactly and tended to fall down.

I was trying to decide between the collapsable sunshade from Tesmanian and the accordion-style shade from Covercraft.

I was concerned about the covercraft sunshade being too bulky to store easily so I decided to get the Tesmanian screen.

Pros: It covers the windshield completely and even has some velcro to keep the flaps up around the mirror. The silver outer side also does a good job of reflecting heat. At $50 it's also not terribly expensive - more than the cheap generic screen I got from Autozone but it's also better quality and better fitting. To store it you fold it in half then grab opposite corners and twist it in a figure eight. Once folded I'm able to wedge it between the center console and the passenger seat (a bit tightly but it fits.)

Cons: it's big. Even with no one else in the car folding and unfolding it is quite awkward. If you have a passenger be prepared to whap them in the face and feel like you're in a 3 stooges routine. The model Y has a big windshield and I don't know much way around this while still covering the entire windshield but It's not the most convenient.

Overall it works well when installed and performs as designed and advertised, it's just the required size that makes it inconvenient. I still haven't decided if I'm going to spring for the covercraft model or not. $130 is a lot to pay for a sunshade so I'll probably just keep what I've got.

IMG_2557.jpeg

Thanks for the review. I just ordered it on the 4th from Yeslak (shipped from China, so may take some time to deliver) after watching its brief YT review. Hopefully, the quality is good (not made in the US). Even $50 for shades of yours sounds pricey. btw, does it come with a case for it?

I have the Cover craft and it is definitely huge, inflexible and a bit of a pain, BUT I have had one for my pickup for a few years and by far the best shade for the windshield I have ever had. So I got same for the Model Y, it definitely works good outside of the room needed to deploy and store.

Thanks. Please let us know how well it fits and how easy to close/set up. I will report back once I get mine (ordered over the 4th) and check out.
I bought it over a year ago. As i mentioned in my original post, it fitted very well. No gap anywhere, and it is exactly the size of tesla model Y windshield. fold well too, just like other types of sunshades and can folded into small circular bag.

Reactions: tsl38238