Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement recs/experience - SF Bay Area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

woodisgood

Optimustic Pessimist
Jul 26, 2018
San Francisco
Ugh, wife just let me know she took a large rock to the windshield on her drive home and the crack is growing, already a foot.

I remember reading here that Tesla doesn't handle replacements anymore. Any recommendations on a shop in the SF Bay? How long did you have to wait and what was the approximate cost?

Thanks!

I started a thread about my experiences here: Windshield Replacement Experiences

Long story short, some of the shops in the Bay Area do windshield replacements, others do not. If you contact one that does not (Fremont), they will not inform you of others that do. Some shops have the windshields in stock (Santa Clara did for me). Some do not, and do not mention that others have them (Dublin).

Also, if you make an appointment at one that's a few weeks out, they will not inform you that they will not replace your windshield until your appointment gets closer, which just wastes your time.

You can make multiple appointments using the web page (or at least that was the case when I tried). Do that, and you'll find a shop that can do it.

Otherwise, you can contact your insurance, get a referral to a glass shop that handles Teslas, and call them and see how long they say it'll take. The shop near me said 4-6 weeks. But maybe the supply has freed up since June?

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: woodisgood
Just to close the loop, we made an appt at the Santa Clara SC and got the windshield replaced today (incidentally, exactly one year to the day our 3 was delivered - Happy Birthday baby?). It was a fairly seamless process, especially considering the hit-and-miss nature of service experiences.

Exoshield looks interesting, especially after shelling out a grand for a new windshield. Anyone have it done? Still need to get tint done so I'd consider it depending on the cost.

After you guys get your windshields replaced, come to our shop and get ExoShield installed. ExoShield | Windshield Protection Film
What is the cost and how long does the film last?

Just to close the loop, we made an appt at the Santa Clara SC and got the windshield replaced today (incidentally, exactly one year to the day our 3 was delivered - Happy Birthday baby?). It was a fairly seamless process, especially considering the hit-and-miss nature of service experiences.

Exoshield looks interesting, especially after shelling out a grand for a new windshield. Anyone have it done? Still need to get tint done so I'd consider it depending on the cost.

Call your insurance company about $0 replacement glass. I have AAA and $0 glass cost me something like $4 a year per car.