Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two months and 1200 miles into my Tesla experience the windshield was hit with a big rock thrown from a dump truck. It hit right on the edge of the glass on the lower left side. Five minutes later a crack had spread halfway across the windshield right in my field of vision. There was no ignoring it.

Based on other's experiences I went straight to Tesla for the replacement. No problem getting an appointment at the Glen Allen, VA SC just a few days out. I arrived at 9:20 for my 9:45 appointment and before I could even get out of the car it was remotely put in service mode. That killed the plan of staying in the car watching a movie while I waited. I went inside and gave my key card to the service guy and sat down in the customer lounge. The lounge filled up, people came and went and the lounge emptied out leaving just two of us waiting for glass. My car was taken into the shop at 2:15 and I got it back at 4:45 and left while the other guy still waiting.

The job was done reasonably well and I will clean up the little excess adhesive here and there. Total cost was $1182.56.

It would have been great if mobile service would have come to my house like they did for another poster. I live 90 miles from the SC so I didn't really expect that to happen. Why the work was not started anywhere near the appointed time I do not know. Perhaps their glass guy only works in the afternoon. If that were the case it would have been sensible to schedule my appointment for the afternoon, or maybe let me know that glass jobs were only done in the afternoon.

Waiting over 7 hours was a misery. The other guy waited almost as long but he came prepared with food, drink and entertainment. Apparently he had previous experience with this SC. Next time I will make an effort to be informed before I make an appointment. That will probably require and in person visit to the SC beforehand.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
In SoCal maybe but careful with generalizing your Tesla SC, MS, certified repair shop partner experience across the country and certainly across the globe.

In many states Tesla SCs do the windshield and other glass replacement themselves (and mess it up or get it right at just about the same 50/50 hit or miss).