Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is Here - How Do You Keep Your Garage Floor Dry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yoona

NEWBIE Trader
May 3, 2017
Canada
Driving into the garage from outside, the car tires bring lots of snow/slush into the garage floor, which then melts inside the garage and makes a wet mess that stays there for weeks. How do you keep your garage floor dry? Is there a mat with "holes" that allows liquid to slip through, leaving the top dry?

20170911_210051.jpg
20170911_205938.jpg
20170911_205938.jpg
Perforated garage floor. Super awesome. I don't have to deal with snow, but i do get a lot of moisture during the winter that would stay and would make my floor slippery and dangerous, now it always looks clean and I just use a leaf blower every couple of months to clean it. Not comfy on bare feet ( according to my kids) but you should have shoes on in a garage anyway :)

I put down two strips of thick foam weatherstripping on either side of my car's parking spot in the garage. I then silicon caulked it to the floor. I used weatherstripping because I can step on it and it just squishes and yet it is waterproof. Then I just use a big squeegee to sweep out the muck/water every day or two. This solution works well as it keeps the muck from oozing toward my walls and also keeps it under the car for the most part so I don't walk in it. My neighbor has a pad he drives on in the garage under his car, but I'm not convinced it's a better solution if you actually want to get the water out periodically. Too, it was a lot more expensive than some weatherstripping.

Reactions: Duffer and Yoona
Perforated garage floor. Super awesome. I don't have to deal with snow, but i do get a lot of moisture during the winter that would stay and would make my floor slippery and dangerous, now it always looks clean and I just use a leaf blower every couple of months to clean it. Not comfy on bare feet ( according to my kids) but you should have shoes on in a garage anyway :)

This is super-cool (and I'm jealous!) but I can't imagine it not being a muck-fest where I live at least. I can't believe how much dirt and snow my car collects and brings in. Feels like a gallon of crap is on the floor every time I have to sweep it out.

Reactions: RScottyL and Blup85
I put down two strips of thick foam weatherstripping on either side of my car's parking spot in the garage. I then silicon caulked it to the floor. I used weatherstripping because I can step on it and it just squishes and yet it is waterproof. Then I just use a big squeegee to sweep out the muck/water every day or two. This solution works well as it keeps the muck from oozing toward my walls and also keeps it under the car for the most part so I don't walk in it. My neighbor has a pad he drives on in the garage under his car, but I'm not convinced it's a better solution if you actually want to get the water out periodically. Too, it was a lot more expensive than some weatherstripping.

Here's a pic in case it doesn't make sense. None w/my Model S, so will have to setting for a couple downhill rigs. The weatherstripping is the concrete colored stuff that is barely noticeable.
IMG_8456 (1).jpg

Reactions: calisnow

NICE! Where did you get them, ie brand name? It's exactly what I am looking for... Thanks

This helps some for me (have had it 4 or 5 years) - kind of wished I went larger or a 2nd unit.

Ebac 1133500 White Ebac Heavy Duty Dehumidifier - compactappliance.com

I use a squeezy as well when it doesn’t keep up, this unit helps enough that typically it’s 1-2 days to be completely dry unless a ton of new ice is dropping off the cars from daily drives. In my case my garage stays typically about 20-30 degrees warmer than outside not heated. 3 Stall garage (Michigan) with an additional heated 3 stall garage underground this one that helps. I probably have 30-60 days a year where the unit does freeze over thick 1-2” of ice and I have to turn it down for 1/2 day to melt when needed.

My problem used to be how to clean off fresh snow off my car after a snow storm.
Easy solution.... build a garage. Oh and don't worry about melted snow in the garage... just remember how much better you are now then before:)
Everything is relative..