Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tire Ordering Craziness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a 2023 MYP which was written off in an accident with a set of 3rd party winter wheels and tires on it. We replaced the car with a 2024 MYP I thought; "why not order them from Tesla this time?" Note, we live 3 1/2 hours away from the nearest Tesla service centre. On the order I specified that the tires be shipped to me rather than to the service centre. The tires were in stock. Turns out Tesla won't budge from requiring us to drive 3 1/2 hours over mountain roads which legally require winter tires to have the winter tires and wheels installed at a service centre. This is literally insane.

So, I'm re-ordering the 3rd party wheels and tires locally (and saving $2,300 BTW) and am cancelling the Tesla tire order. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Funny
Reactions: EatsShoots
Turns out Tesla won't budge from requiring us to drive 3 1/2 hours over mountain roads which legally require winter tires to have the winter tires and wheels installed at a service centre. This is literally insane.
That seems crazy, as some tesla owners are more than 3.5 hours away. In any case a day spent on that is not time well spent.

I am about to order winter tires and was surprised to find that at least on my 18" model 3 wheels the full set, with sensors, from tesla is right at about the same price as an aftermarket set from tirerack, so I will be going with OEM.