Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for 18” Aeros

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To follow up with my new winter tires - Nokian R3s installed few days ago, having a severe “howling wind” kind of a noise between 25-50 MPH driving on city roads which is very annoying. Never had that sound with snow tires before. Wondering if it is Nokian related problem or other brands also causing similar sound on the model 3? ( I have a voice file but having trouble attaching to the post)

• Informative
Reactions: Thomas Edison
To follow up with my new winter tires - Nokian R3s installed few days ago, having a severe “howling wind” kind of a noise between 25-50 MPH driving on city roads which is very annoying. Never had that sound with snow tires before. Wondering if it is Nokian related problem or other brands also causing similar sound on the model 3? ( I have a voice file but having trouble attaching to the post)

With tesla OEM rims? Aeros?

I've been driving on the r3 with stock 18" (aero caps removed) for a while now and do not experience any noises that you describe. Do you have the caps on ?

I ordered some right after you with the same delivery date. Glad you received yours. Mine are delayed..... knowing how tires are produced and supplied each season it’s likely I won’t see mine. Anyone know if I just keep the order open that they will send them to me when they do get them again, even if it’s months down the line? My price was $113 and I can’t find them anywhere else, so I’ll be waiting for next winter anyway.

I ordered some right after you with the same delivery date. Glad you received yours. Mine are delayed..... knowing how tires are produced and supplied each season it’s likely I won’t see mine. Anyone know if I just keep the order open that they will send them to me when they do get them again, even if it’s months down the line? My price was $113 and I can’t find them anywhere else, so I’ll be waiting for next winter anyway.
you got r3 for $113 each? thats a STEAL!!!

I just had Michelin X-ICE XI3 - SIZE: 235/45R18's from Tire Rack (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=X-Ice+Xi3&partnum=345HR8XI3XL). There was a $100 rebate available, but now I don't see mention of the rebate :( They ride smoothly on pavement for snows, but I have not had a chance to run them in the snow yet.

I had the service center mount them on the aeros. They marked the original 18" tires so we can rotate them when I put them back on in the spring. They wrapped them nicely in plastic and they do fit well in the back with the seats down. In spring, I will probably buy another set of wheels so I have two complete sets to mount. I'm keeping the aeros on the winter tires because I lose range in the winter due to the cold.

Reactions: GSP
I just had Michelin X-ICE XI3 - SIZE: 235/45R18's from Tire Rack (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=X-Ice+Xi3&partnum=345HR8XI3XL). There was a $100 rebate available, but now I don't see mention of the rebate :( They ride smoothly on pavement for snows, but I have not had a chance to run them in the snow yet.

I had the service center mount them on the aeros. They marked the original 18" tires so we can rotate them when I put them back on in the spring. They wrapped them nicely in plastic and they do fit well in the back with the seats down. In spring, I will probably buy another set of wheels so I have two complete sets to mount. I'm keeping the aeros on the winter tires because I lose range in the winter due to the cold.

My service center said they would not mount winter tires not purchased from them. Your service center must be better than mine!

I have the same problem on Nokian R3 tired having howling winding sound. Did you have the problem solved when having the aero caps off?
I got my Model 3 delivered with Nokian R3 tires on standard 18" rims with aero caps on earlier this weak. Great car. However, I experience the same howling sound above 35 mph. Has anybody experienced any difference by taking the aero caps off? Is the sound reduced after driving a few thousand miles? Any difference by reducing tire pressure? I am trying to find out if this howling sound comes from the tires, or somewhere else, like the gap between the windshield and the glass roof.

We bought the Nokian WR-G3 to fit a dedicated set of 18" Aero wheels. The car is an AWD3. We will put the 19" wheels with Contis back on end of March. Same size tire as the stock Michelins, got them on sale from tires-easy when they were $600- delivered. The WR-G3 have the mountain snowflake logo, are all weather, were perfect for a Jersey winter, cold, wet, damp, slush, snow. Can't comment on all snow driving; we usually have plowed streets hours after a storm. The tires seem quieter than the foam dampened Michelins. The grip is excellent wet and dry, solid at low temperature. We have the WR-G2 Nokian on our SUV, second set. Pleased overall with the brand.

I got my Model 3 delivered with Nokian R3 tires on standard 18" rims with aero caps on earlier this weak. Great car. However, I experience the same howling sound above 35 mph. Has anybody experienced any difference by taking the aero caps off? Is the sound reduced after driving a few thousand miles? Any difference by reducing tire pressure? I am trying to find out if this howling sound comes from the tires, or somewhere else, like the gap between the windshield and the glass roof.

I’ve driven few thousand km. The sound is stilll there. I am thinking it’s the Nokian tires. They are not silent tires