Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for 19" are out of stock, can I get rims and use 18" ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can change from 19" to 18" or 20"; most choose a smaller diameter wheel when fitting winter tires for the increased sidewall (to better survive encounters with pot holes.)

If you have a Long Range Model Y you then you could fit 18" wheels and still clear the suspension and brake parts. The wheel would have to be able to handle the load rating of the Model Y, especially the rear axle weight rating.

Here is a thread re using 18" wheels, winter tires: 18" Rim Options for SR Y

For the tires you are looking at (Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, or other brand) see if the tire is available in a similar but slightly wider or taller size.

The OE size is 255/45R-19. If you go a little wider, i.e. 265/45R-19 these should fit. If you go a little taller, i.e. 255/50R-19 the tires should still fit. The Speedometer would be off a little bit not not enough to matter.

The tire load index is important for safety; 20" (101), 19" (104)

The speed rating for winter tires is not as critical; the OE tires have a Y speed rating, (Not many winter tires carry a W or Y speed rating); A V speed rating would be OK.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Tire Size Comparison

Last edited:
FYI, Discount Tires does have these, so maybe that is my best bet?

NOKIAN
TIREHAKKAPELIITTA R3 SUV
255 /50 R19 107R XL BSW

And Costco has:

Bridgestone - BLIZZAK DM-V2​

Tire Size: 255/50R19
Speed Rating: T
Load Index: 107

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I'm mostly interested in safety, would one of these choices be safer than the other?
The safest option would be to stay off the road when there is snow and ice in the forecast; that's what I do.

I have not read any studies that show that one wheel size is safer than another. Except for driving on ice any winter tire will be safer, i.e. handle better, stop shorter than an all-season tire. The performance between different brands of winter tires are much less than the difference between winter tires and all-season tires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noneduck
FYI, Discount Tires does have these, so maybe that is my best bet?

NOKIAN
TIREHAKKAPELIITTA R3 SUV
255 /50 R19 107R XL BSW
Those could work; An R speed rating is quite low; in real world driving you would never drive beyond the tire maximum speed rating of 106 MPH but the sidewall would flex more than with an H or V rated tire so handling might be less precise. The tire size comparison tool shows these as 29" in outer diameter versus 28" for the OE 19" tires. The speedometer readout would read low by approximately 2 MPH; not critical.

Discount Tire couldn't get them in that size. Still looking, how would these work? Very similiar in size, though I would need to buy rims...

MICHELINX-ICE SNOW
245 /50 R18 104H XL BSW

Starting to wonder if I just need to give up on winter tires for this year

FYI, Discount Tire did not recomand the 255/50 R19, they said the 265/45 R19 would fit better, but than couldn't find any in that size

Discount Tire couldn't get them in that size. Still looking, how would these work? Very similiar in size, though I would need to buy rims...

MICHELINX-ICE SNOW
245 /50 R18 104H XL BSW

Starting to wonder if I just need to give up on winter tires for this year

FYI, Discount Tire did not recomand the 255/50 R19, they said the 265/45 R19 would fit better, but than couldn't find any in that size
Tirerack.com has the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec (Porsche) in size 265/45R-19 105V XL, on close out for $280/tire (At least for my zip code.)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...meter=17&performance=W&cameFrom=WinterSection

Most of the threads re using 265 wide tires are for 20" Induction or 21" Uberturbine wheels, not 19" Gemini (the wheel offset might be too great to fit.)

Did the Discount Tire representative say why the 255/50R-19 would not be a good fit? At 29" outer diameter that is only 0.5 inch taller overall at the top, the width is the same as the OE tire.

Did the Discount Tire representative say why the 255/50R-19 would not be a good fit?
No, he just said he had someplace to look it up, and it didn't show up as a match for Y Long Range. He said the 265/45R-19 showed up twice, one place said it fit, the other place said it didin't, he wasn't sure why it would be in the database twice. He couldn't find any that size locally. I could have gotton that size from Tire Rack, but his answer about it being in the database twice made me nervous about getting that size online.

The 19" Gemini wheels, size 19" x 9.5" have a +45mm offset; the 20" Induction wheels, size 20" x 9.5" also have a +45mm offset. People say that 265/40R-20 will fit the Tesla Model Y with the 20" Induction wheels.

265/40R20 Fits!

I could not find much information on whether 265/45R-19 size tires will fit with the 19" Gemini wheels

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm8GI8fnQ9AIVCuazCh0QBwjgEAAYASAAEgKCQ_D_BwE&techid=101&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIm8GI8fnQ9AIVCuazCh0QBwjgEAAYASAAEgKCQ_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!354820921610!e!!g!!wheel offset&gclsrc=aw.ds

TSportline offers aftermarket wheels for the Tesla Model Y in 19"/20"/21" sizes with different wheel widths and offsets. You might want to contact TSportline, inquire what they currently offer in a wheel and winter tire package for the Model Y (Note that some of the TSportline wheels are back ordered until February 2022)

The Tesla Model Y Wheel Guide

Last edited:
Martian Wheels has a set of 18" wheels that fit the Model Y Performance or LR.

Last edited:
MYLR, bought 18" aero and put on MICHELIN X-ICE SNOW 235/55R18. Work great, haven't driven enough to see change in Wh/mi. Ride is better feeling than with stock 19" (harsh bumps are absorbed in tires better).