Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wired "review" of P85D, and I'm tired of reviews focusing on the 0 to 60 time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Line ups...at an en route station, when it's busy, you can easily take 30 + minutes to hit the rest room and get a Timmies refill...

[AQUOTE=jerry33;1131722]During our recent 5300 mile road trip most stops were 15 minutes or less (other than the overnight ones). Where do people get the 30 minutes from?[/QUOTE]

It seems like many of these reviews grossly misrepresent the cost of the vehicle. I understand that they are reviewing the P85D model specifically, but it is important to understand that adding that "P" adds at least $20k to the cost. It would be nice to see the reviews discuss the entire product line, especially focusing on the great features that can still be found in the $30k less expensive 70D model. Most people unfamiliar with Tesla will walk away from the Consumer Reports and other reviews thinking that every Tesla they see cost $120k+, which is not true.

The biggest blind spot I've noticed in almost every review is the failure to "get" home charging. What's up with that?

Rarely do the reviewers test home charging. They have an S for one or just a few days, so they use it for a road trip. Therefore Superchargers steal the charging show; we'd all agree Tesla's network is both impressive and unique among carmakers, so that makes the news.

But most people are in a gas car mindset focusing on refueling only from empty to full. Strangers ask me "How long does it take to charge?" with empty-to-full implicit. It takes a while to pry them out of thinking jail but at best it's still so abstract to them.

I got so frustrated with one older car guy that I wrote this to drive the point home:

Tesla Model S - Charging

During our recent 5300 mile road trip most stops were 15 minutes or less (other than the overnight ones). Where do people get the 30 minutes from?
Because you have higher SuperCharger density. Here in Ontario you can count the number of SuperChargers on one hand + one (Comber, Woodstock, Toronto, Kingston, Cornwall, Barrie) and your range is severely reduced during the winter. Maybe not an issue in places like Texas or California but they are for those of us in the Great White North, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know either. Recent trip to LA from San Jose had one 15 and one 10 minute stop. I think people think they need to fully (80%) charge at every stop.
But California <> typical SuperCharger experience due to (1) warm climate, and (2) very high SuperCharger density. Come to Ontario in February and you will be stopping for longer than that.

Because you have higher SuperCharger density. Here in Ontario you can count the number of SuperChargers on one hand + one (Comber, Woodstock, Toronto, Kingston, Cornwall, Barrie) and your range is severely reduced during the winter. Maybe not an issue in places like Texas or California but they are for those of us in the Great White North, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

But California <> typical SuperCharger experience due to (1) warm climate, and (2) very high SuperCharger density. Come to Ontario in February and you will be stopping for longer than that.

Touché.