Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiring question: adding more panels to existing setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My setup has consist of several blocks of panels that produce during different time of the day. I have some roof space that was not used as I maxed out my budget. I know it's not super optimal, but I see that I'm loosing some morning hours even during spring/fall months and of course daytime during prime season. I'm debating of adding few more panels there. It would definitely help to offset winter low production. In addition this part of roof is steep so it would shade snow in event of snowstorm. My invertor has a plenty of capacity as I almost never see the clipping.
So here is the question: If new panels added - does it mean new (or additional ) wiring had to be traced all the way down to the box where disconnect switches located ? Or it could be tied in on the roof to the existing wiring? Also, I have 2 strings. Are they suppose to be relatively equal in production?

Thanks

The devil is in the details.

However, the general consensus here is that adding " a couple more" afterwards is extremely expensive on a per watt or per kWh basis. I.e. there is no return on the investment.

YMMV...

Yeah, this is the only bid I've found to add 4 to 5 kWp (DC) solar on my roof to an existing system. Everyone else has told me they won't add solar to an existing system. Yikes.

1662049153734.png

• Helpful
Reactions: solarAddict