Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won't charge at 220v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody experience this?
Brand New model 3 had charging issues...

1) the charge port door opens only 1 out of 10 times pressing button on charge wand

2) Will not chscha on 220v from wall charger.... Throws all kinds of error messages

3). Charges immediately when using the supplied travel charger at 110v

Tesla changed the actual charge pret assembly. Same problem.
Tried on my neighbors wall charger who has Tesla since 2016, same problem.

SO:. Not charge assembly, not wall charger....

What is the problem!? Tech is stumped as well.

lemon_commodity-page.png

The car may default to 15amp 120volt expectation and only expect more if given the signal to expect more.

From an engineering standpoint this would be safest default (limp mode).

It won't accept the wall charger at all when trying to charge at 220... Gives only errors and won't even charge at 15amps. So no "limp mode"....

But again, coming from the travel charger plugged into a 110v wall plug, the charge port opens immediately and the charging also starts immediately.

Odd

It won't accept the wall charger at all when trying to charge at 220... Gives only errors and won't even charge at 15amps. So no "limp mode"....

But again, coming from the travel charger plugged into a 110v wall plug, the charge port opens immediately and the charging also starts immediately.

Odd

Have you tried the UMC that came with your car (the cord) with the 14-50 adapter (which is 240v). Could be an interesting test...

What are the exact errors it throws?

I wonder if it may be able to do “fallback charging” at 12a 120v, but not at 240v? I think we have seen 240v at 16a or so is an allowed fallback?

Seems like it is likely an issue with something in the car (wiring harness, charger, etc...)