Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Working for Tesla Motors.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd favor the one with better grades and the best demonstration of competence ...

Purposely misquoting you: I too find that competence is of utmost importance. And I believe that such competence is best shown by what a person has done in the past year and not in the past hour (the interview). Somebody who has a family I judge differently from somebody who's just out of school and single. If people have related passions that counts. If they are - or their CV's lead me to believe they are - coach potato's they're out.

Steve Jobs apparently took a side interest in calligraphy (after dropping out of school). Guess he was a passionless couch potato.

Ah, but he didn't take this side interest without passion! And his interest was relevant to his work. Whatever the side activities are, you have to view these in the proper context.

But we seem to agree that doing "work stuff" 168 hours/week is unhealthy. But after 40 hours of work there still is some freedom left in how to spend the remaining 128 hours. And you can choose to give yourself a head start by spending some of these 128 hours on relevant matter.

I can't understand (and that may be my problem) that someone would choose an occupation they are passionate about for 40 hours, and after 40 hours the passion suddenly dies out. Why only spend 23.8% of your time on something you love (especially when you're 18-25 years old and don't have a family to support)?

I don't code at home hardly ever...

I think you over-read what I wrote. I by no means was implying that obsessive consumption of discretionary time was important; that would be bad, too. Balance in all things.

'Hardly ever' isn't 'none', and none is the issue. I find a high correlation between none and not doing so well on the practical interview questions. Coursework is usually not sufficient to get a good feel for a craft and apprenticeships are rare, so home projects with friends are a reasonable substitute while in college.

Why only spend 23.8% of your time on something you love (especially when you're 18-25 years old and don't have a family to support)?
Well, that math is somewhat disingenuous as much of ones day isn't freely available. A typical person might have something like:

1 hour lunch (though, like many, you may work it, but I often go to the gym)
1 hour of commute
1/2 hour each for breakfast/dinner
8 hours sleep (7-9 is normal)
1/2 hour shower, shaving, etc.
1 hour on average clean house, pay bills, do laundry, get car oil changed, etc
=~ 10-12 hours of non-free time

So, of your 12-14 hours of "free" time each work day, you're spending 8 working on a normal job. I think spending ~60% of your time most days on anything shows a pretty significant level of interest.
Whatever the side activities are, you have to view these in the proper context.
That was my exact point from the beginning in response to SByer and vfx saying any candidate that wasn't also working at home would be tossed. Many incredibly talented people don't take their work home, they have the ability to be passionate about more than one thing in life.

Last edited:
Now you're putting words in my mouth. Stop it, that's a shameful twisting of words.
Your words were exactly "If you're not following your passion at home... how is it your passion again?"

That tells me you believe they should be doing <insert field specific activity here> at home and at work or you didn't think they were passionate and, by implication, not a good candidate. How should I have interpreted it?

Last edited:
I'm new here, in fact this is my first post, as I didn't find an "Introductions" topic. I'm done working, would still consult. I have read the need for passion aspect of this thread with a lot of interest. I joined the ranks of EV hobbyists 11 years ago after a rather distasteful working experience in the oil industry. I now have (3) EVs, but still have ICE hot rods too. My name is Bob, and I DO have a passion for EVs.

Your words were exactly "If you're not following your passion at home... how is it your passion again?"

That tells me you believe they should be doing <insert field specific activity here> at home and at work or you didn't think they were passionate and, by implication, not a good candidate. How should I have interpreted it?

That some personal project away from work related in some way to one's chosen field gets at least some time. It's not a very high bar - I know how hard it is to get the time, and even a few hours a month shows passion - though I hold the bar higher for new grads, as it's easier at college to both have the time and find a club, and for software engineering at least, course work alone is generally insufficient to get the skills and aesthetics needed. It's a correlation, I don't hold it as a causation, and while I'm always excited to find an exception, it's very, very rare.

It's a signal, one of many, but for new grads it's one of the stronger ones I've found.

Fair enough. That recognizes a lot more gray area than the implications from your initial post

it's easier at college to both have the time and find a club
Maybe, a good portion of people, myself included, had to work menial jobs a significant number of hours per week just to afford college at all.

Last edited:
Fair enough. That recognizes a lot more gray area than the implications from your initial post
Maybe, a good portion of people, myself included, had to work menial jobs a significant number of hours per week just to afford college at all.
There's an old expression that a man (woman) who makes a career of his passion never works a day in his life. The point is simply that if you love doing it, you'd do it with or without pay. I'm an Internet Infrastructure Integrator full-time, and I volunteer my time doing Internet web sites in my spare time - in spite of the fact that I'm married and have raised two kids. I consider it more of who am as a person than what I do for a living.

My son is married and working on his masters degree in Public History (with honors, by the way). Yet he still finds time to be active in WWII reenactments and is considering Civil War reenactments as well. This has led to recent consideration as a volunteer at a local museum. Sure, it's unpaid and will lead to a cut in hours at the grocery store he works at to pay the bills. But it's what he feels he must do to secure a position in a field he's passionate about.

So I agree with the responses that the OP needs to take the appropriate courses - but when distinguishing between two equally qualified individuals, the one who shows they love what they do rather than just talks about it will always win out.

Tailor your hobbies to the job description.

http://learn-how-to-write-a-resume.blogspot.com/2008/05/hobbies-and-interests-should-these-be.html
The best criteria in deciding whether to include hobbies and interests in your resume is when it supports your resume objective or career objective and when it provides additional relevant information for the employer to decide your suitability to the job being offered. All the information presented in your resume should answer the employer's question on why he should pick you from all the other job applicants. Your resume should present information that makes you the best candidate for the role. When writing a resume, you are limited with the number of pages to sell your skills and competencies. Do not waste this limited space. Provide relevant and significant information. If your hobbies and interests are relevant, then include it in your resume. If not, leave your hobbies and interests aside.

http://www.careerhubblog.com/main/2008/06/resumes-when-ho.html
Challenge: What are your hobbies? Are they relevant to your career goal? Would they be a differentiator for you? Do they demonstrate your brand? Your attributes that are hot selling points for the role? If so, take a risk. Add it to your resume.

http://cv4.biz/cv-interests/
As a recruiter, I read too many “Reading, watching television and going out with my friends” statements: everyone does that, surprise! It is hence doesn’t make you stand out, and worse of all uses up space and probably detracts from your application.

http://www.cvtips.com/improve_CV.html
how the hobby relates to the job you are applying for. If you are looking at a hobby in restoring cars, and the job is looking for someone who can do mechanical engine work, then it is important and should be included. Here are some basic tips regarding your CV. If you would like something more specific, doing a keyword search on the sitemap can help you a lot.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5777408_tips-hobbies-resume.html
Only list hobbies if they are directly related to the job or may increase your chances of standing out. If you collect stamps, your application to the post office may benefit from such information.

1 hour on average clean house, pay bills, do laundry, get car oil changed, etc

Good news: that last one will soon be a thing of the past! :smile: I'm glad 90% of my bills get paid automatically. Is that just a Dutch thing? I've authorized the cable, power, insurance, etc. companies to transfer money for monthly bills from my bank account: no hassle.

Oh, and you forgot the additional 48 hours/week (32 if you want to sleep) we call weekend. Without kids that's the big one for out-of-control hobbies!

... any candidate that wasn't also working at home would be tossed.

It's not "working at home". It's "having fun at home". Or that's what I think such activities should be.

I'm new here, in fact this is my first post, as I didn't find an "Introductions" topic. I'm done working, would still consult. I have read the need for passion aspect of this thread with a lot of interest. I joined the ranks of EV hobbyists 11 years ago after a rather distasteful working experience in the oil industry. I now have (3) EVs, but still have ICE hot rods too. My name is Bob, and I DO have a passion for EVs.

I'm fairly new here as well and have recently applied to Tesla (have a meeting coming up soon). On my resume I included that I was one of the captains for the electrathon vehicle team at my university. You can bet we'll be talking about that in the interview!

Did you mean a Honda F22 or the one shown below?

View attachment 3480

If it's this one I'm very impressed!!
haha Very funny. No I meant the Honda's F22 engine.

And, as I get to read a number of resumes and interview a number of people, one of the only things that ever jumps out at me from a new-grad resume is personal projects. If you're not following your passion at home... how is it your passion again?

(Even better are personal projects done with friends as a team!)
Thanks for the advice. Yes I do have many projects. In fact my car is a never ending project, and I have done much work on it in the past.

Thank you a million times!

I'm fairly new here as well and have recently applied to Tesla (have a meeting coming up soon). On my resume I included that I was one of the captains for the electrathon vehicle team at my university. You can bet we'll be talking about that in the interview!
Please Please keep me updated on the interview.

I appreciate everyone's input. Keep them coming.