Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth replacing the front and rear bumpers for this price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both my rear bumper and front bumper have some scratches due to traffic in NYC and I was thinking of getting them fixed. Tesla quoted me $1677 in total to replace both bumpers. Do you guys believe this is the cheapest solution to fix these minor scratches, or would getting them repainted be cheaper?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 10.16.44 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 10.16.44 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 10.23.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 10.23.47 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 10.23.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 10.23.40 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
Both my rear bumper and front bumper have some scratches due to traffic in NYC and I was thinking of getting them fixed. Tesla quoted me $1677 in total to replace both bumpers. Do you guys believe this is the cheapest solution to fix these minor scratches, or would getting them repainted be cheaper?
The quote seem to be pretty reasonable. I was charged $1000 for replacing rear bumper at Tesla.

I believe changing it is the most cost-efficient (although not the most environmental-friendly) solution in US considering the high labor cost. I tried quote for repaint with 3rd party authorized shops before. It was more expensive (California)

Depending on your goal, there are definitely cheaper options if your goal is only to reduce the appearance of them.

For light scratches that do not penetrate the clear coat, ScratchX can work wonders:
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-SCRATCH-X-Scratch-Blemish-Remover/dp/B0006ZXUAG

If the scratch returns after a car wash, but ScratchX does remove it temporarily, the next step you can try is polishing compound (this is what "buffing" the car typically is).

If the scratch penetrates the clear coat, the next would be a scratch repair kit. I would get the ones that are color matched to Tesla paints. There are a ton of different companies if you do a search.

Here's an Amazon search.
Amazon.com : touch up PPSW
https://www.amazon.com/ScratchesHappen-Exact-Match-Compatible-Shasta-Tricoat/dp/B07WKT378H
Some people like Dr. Color Chip.
2020 Tesla Model 3 | Dr. ColorChip
Tesla sells a kit also.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/paint-repair-kit

You can do a search on these forums for plenty of threads discussing. There are tons of options, some coming as a pen, some as a brush, some with separate brushes, some as a whole kit including blending solution and polishing compound,

As others mention however, some colors are very hard to match, especially multi-coat paints. You would need to find touchup paint that has multiple color coats (a base color coat, and the pearl coat). Most of them also come with a clear coat (so 3 coats for a multi-coat). The reviews on the ScratchesHappen seems to mention that. For deeper scratches, some kits also have primer.

The next step up are aerosol touchup paint. This however requires you to have some skill spray painting and do a lot more prep to get the panels ready (have to sand smooth, roughen it, prime, etc). You also run the risk of ruining a much larger area if the color does not match. If you have to ask here about options, you most likely won't have the skill necessary to do a good job, although there are videos online if you want to learn.

Do the prices fluctuate over time for the bumper replacements? I was thinking of waiting a bit possibly a year before replacing them in case they get worst but if the price increases greatly over that time I might just do it now as long as this is a good deal.

Do the prices fluctuate over time for the bumper replacements? I was thinking of waiting a bit possibly a year before replacing them in case they get worst but if the price increases greatly over that time I might just do it now as long as this is a good deal.
I don't think the price changed much. As said, I was charged $1000 for rear bumper replacement at SC, and that was in 2019. I do believe $1677 for both is a good deal :)

The price might not fluctuate, the only thing to look out for is changing stock. For 2023 the new bumpers don't have the USS cutouts. When the Highland refresh comes out, that will use a completely different front bumper, although the 2023 rear bumper might not change.

Really depends on what is your goal however. If you are going to continue parking on city streets, it might not be worth it as likely it will be further damaged.