Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would this work? Aftermarket subwoofer idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this were an ICE vehicle, id be definitely wanting something much more powerful, but given all the stories of random issues when adding an aftermarket amplifier has given me serious concern. So, i thought outside the box.

Alpine PWE-S8

What about something like this? Its 120w rms/240w peak, thats 10a nominally, 20a peak.

According to this, the 12V outlet can power up to 12A nominally, 16A peak. Its a little low for the peak of that amp, but im assuming that if the volume isnt cranked it shouldnt see near that anyway. So, in theory, this should work and shouldnt set off any alarms since im using Telsas sanctioned power outlet right?

It wouldnt be super loud, but itd be a step up over the nothing i currently have. i figure if this fits under the front seat it could at least help with low end.

Anyone see any gaping holes in this plan?

this is weaker than the stock amp and i would not add this as an additional subwoofer as this just adds phasing issues.
The truth is that the oem system is quite cleverly matched - while the stock sub is only 200w rms (i think) a lot of bass comes from the door speakers anyway.

If you set the subwoofer bass and subbass to +8 its very loud.

If the subwoofer is deactivated because it is an SR - you could just buy an aftermarket amp, hook that up to the subwoofer and tap into the rear speaker wires.

edit: also 120w rms is very very weak.

That should work out fine. Just install it like any other amp (make sure you know where to tap your power and get signal) and youre good to go! I am assuming you have a M3 RWD. I am running an alpine 500w and there have been zero issues with voltage, draining, alerts, etc. Knock on wood.