Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you park in a non-Tesla EV charging spot to use a Tesla charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a place near me with Tesla Destination chargers and Chargepoint chargers. The length of the Tesla charger is pretty long. If I parked in one of the Chargepoint slots, the Tesla cable will reach. The reason this situation happened was a non-EV car was parked in the Tesla slot, so had to drive away.

What do you think? Would it be inappropriate to use the Chargepoint slot? The Chargepoint is the free version, but it is networked so someone could be expecting a free slot but when they arrive I'm sitting in it.

I can hear it now. A**hole Tesla driver with over 300 mile range parked in the spot where my Leaf with 88 mile range has to charge.

Only if I was desperate would I do it and then I'd definitely leave a note.

Do into others as you would have them do into you. What if the tables were turned? A plug-in hybrid sitting in the destination charger spot, while plugged into the ChargePoint charger???

I'd park in the Chargepoint stall, use the Chargepoint charger (with J1772 adapter) and "check in" on PlugShare so that you can be contacted if needed (assuming several things here, including that you have the PlugShare app, you are a registered user and you recorded your contact info there).

I'd park in the Chargepoint stall, use the Chargepoint charger (with J1772 adapter) and "check in" on PlugShare so that you can be contacted if needed (assuming several things here, including that you have the PlugShare app, you are a registered user and you recorded your contact info there).

I'm thinking the same, too. If I use Chargepoint it should be okay to park in that spot. Now, I wonder if non-Tesla EV would say wtf Tesla use your own charger instead of Chargepoint. Because ewoodrick says I have way more range than other ones. But I do see a Bolt every time I am there. I'm in this situation because home charging not panning out as planned at the moment, so relying on Supercharger and some nearby local chargers for now.