Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow, Pilot sports rock!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Swampgator

Apr 27, 2016
Florida
Bad news this weekend was that I picked up a screw in one of my tires. And no shop in my area could repair the tire. I had 18,500 miles on the 19" OEM Contis and they were close to end of life. The good news is I replaced them with the Pilot Sport 4S (non acoustic foam version)
Wow! These tires are better at EVERYTHING. They ride better, handle better, and are just as quiet as the Continentals were.
And since they don't have acoustic foam the shops here in SW Fl will know how to repair them when that time comes again.
I'm only on day 2 in so my opinion may change down the road depending on tire wear. I'm hoping that I can get close to 20K on them as I did on the OEM tires. Anyone riding on the Continentals should seriously consider the Pilots if you live in a warm area and don't need all-seasons.

Looking for long term opinion on acoustic free summer tires. Thanks!
ti

I ran through two sets of PS4S tires on my previous Audi S6. They lasted around 20K miles in that application before getting loud enough to need replacing. In my experience, while working with my supplier Discount Tire, Michelin has been great about pro-rating the warranty and offering credit enough to make it very affordable to get a new set of their tires.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Best rated summer tires on TireRack.

19's are $275 vs $263 stock AS tires
18's are $284 vs $223 stock AS tires

Ok, as a “Tire novice”, UHP is an Ultra High Performance Summer tire that is sticky and wears out at lower miles than an All Season tire? So one trades longevity for performance?

An all season tire is ironically called “functional in all seasons, good in none”. So is that what “stock AS tires” are?

Would Michelin X-Ice and Michelin Pilot 4S be the performance tire set for winters with snow and warm Summers?

Reactions: Snow Drift
Ok, as a “Tire novice”, UHP is an Ultra High Performance Summer tire that is sticky and wears out at lower miles than an All Season tire? So one trades longevity for performance?

An all season tire is ironically called “functional in all seasons, good in none”. So is that what “stock AS tires” are?

Would Michelin X-Ice and Michelin Pilot 4S be the performance tire set for winters with snow and warm Summers?

Yes, you've got it on UHPs...they are wonderful when the weather is good, but turn into hockey pucks when it starts to get below 40-45deg F. And you are exactly right that you trade performance for longevity. It's a worthwhile trade, IMO.

I don't have the 4Ss yet, as I've still got plenty of life left in my stock tires, but I ran the X-Ice last summer. Not the best winter tire I've ever ridden in my life, but no major complaints. I'll likely switch to the Pilots for summers when it's time to replace my stock tires, since Goodyear killed my most favorite UHP tire, the old Goodyear F1s. The new F1s aren't nearly as good. :(

Yes. You live in Michigan so you need snow tires anyhow. All season tires would allow you to keep them on the car a little longer. But you don't get the same summer performance. As far as tread wear, my all season Continentals only lasted 19K. But I drive pretty hard. :D

Yes, AS are mediocre in all seasons. "Jack of all trades, master of none."

I use Michelin X-ICE in the winter (40 deg or lower) and I intend to get summers (my 2018 STI had X-ICE and Yokohama summers).

Yes the PSS and P4S's rock. Yes they last 10-15K miles... :)

I'm a ExtremeContact DWS 06 fan personally. Had them on three cars now, they've never let me down. No they're not as sticky as PSS/P4S but they have a 50K warranty :p