Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapped Model 3 - Ultrasonic Sensors

How dead necessary are the ultrasonic sensors for AP?

• Without them you will risk getting an accident in AP

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Ok if you use AP only on highways. In cities there will be more small obstacles

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I know there are more threads like these, but haven't exactly seen the answer I was looking for and not about to highjack someone elses thread.

Question: How dead necessary are the ultrasonic sensors for AP?

So I wrapped my model 3 in matte slate blue but I have an extra decal front and back in black gloss.
It is beautifully done, but understand that such decals are not for everyone.

I've noticed that the sensors are a lot less sensitive now. Especially the 2 front straight forward ultra sonice sensors.
When parking they won't show for instance a chair in front of the car.

AP works fine, I tested it with care and it sees the cars in front of me and brakes when needed.
So my back to my question. If the most use for these is for parking, I don't mind, I can park without sensors.

The wrapping company said they never have this problem and always wrap over the sensors and not cut it out.
But here I have 2 wraps over the sensors. 1 Matte slate blue and 1 Gloss black.
They can still cut it out if I wanted to.

Maybe I should add this story: (but not sure if this has anything to do with my wrap)
Today I was driving in the city on a main road and went to the exit lane. the truck driving on the main road was getting too close to the exit lane so I also went a little more to the right side. Every few meters there is a tree on the side of the road.
Suddenly the tesla took over the wheel wanting to go back to the middle of the exit lane. I prevented it.
AP or cruise control was not on.

Attachments

• T3 Back.jpg
    T3 Back.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 459
  • T3 Front.jpg
    T3 Front.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 151
  • T3 Back.jpg
    T3 Back.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 133
  • T3 Front.jpg
    T3 Front.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: hydro 481
My sense (ha!) is the ultrasonics are too short-range to be involved in Autopilot. That’s all cameras and radar. Having said that, I do see the ultrasonic curves on the display when driving beside a barrier or another vehicle in the next lane. Even so, I’m not sure AP uses that info for positioning.

Your exit lane story may have been the Lane Departure Avoidance feature kicking in, assuming you were going over a painted line.

Looks like we have the same wrap, but I don't recognize "matte slate blue." Interesting take with the black portion. I like the rear, but not sure about the front.

Like others mentioned, zero issues with the sensors wrapped. I'm pretty sure they're used for parking only.

Thanks for the reply's guys.

@CharleyBC I thought the same but it is good to get some confirmation.

@BigBluu Color names depend on the vinyl brand and series. This is 3M 2080. For example: There is a matte indigo in the 1080 series which was renamed to matte dark navy in 2080. same color.

So it's 3M? I swear it looks exactly like mine in Avery. I looked at both brands but 3M just didn't have quite the shade of blue I wanted. I may go with their Perfect Satin Blue next though.