Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wrapping for MX how necessary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a 3 wk old MX & taking it for the winter to SE Fla. i'm not sure if i need to wrap the car.
Under what circumstances do the members suggest wrapping is the way to go?
Totally necessary, not very necessary, or wait & see? i'm a typical suburban driver, but in fla we do use US 95 & turnpike much more than in Il. Any insight would be useful! Thanks in Advance

• Love
Reactions: sacfan
The X has a large frontal area .. depending on color of your car.. chips will show easily.. a nice compromise is to do the front bumper only .. I recommend it

The X has a large frontal area .. depending on color of your car.. chips will show easily.. a nice compromise is to do the front bumper only .. I recommend it
thanks for your quick reply! Wondering how much is a full car wrap..apprx is ok.? Is what you are suggesting a bra wrap or is that more than you think would be called for? My car is white. Would stopping at the bumper be obviously discernible? Thanks in Advance

I have a white .. I did a front wrap ( also called clear bra) .. average for front including hood and fenders Is typically under $1500.. bumper only is typically around <$600.. it’s really hard to see the lines of wrap If done properly..

• Helpful
Reactions: jerseygirl18
Whole thing was about $6500 in NoVa two years ago for my X. Highly recommended if you want the whole car to look perfect. Especially items like the headlights and fog lights which have road gravel bounce off them.

We also have a 3 and the difference is amazing. Headlights have chips. Hood has at least one. Definitely do it for any car you want to keep looking perfect.

if your mindset is ‘it’s a car, it gets dings’, then don’t bother. As for partials, seams will be noticed.

But all personal preference. Next car we get (a Y or another 3) will definitely be full wrapped.

Reactions: CommackRoss
Whole thing was about $6500 in NoVa two years ago for my X. Highly recommended if you want the whole car to look perfect. Especially items like the headlights and fog lights which have road gravel bounce off them.

We also have a 3 and the difference is amazing. Headlights have chips. Hood has at least one. Definitely do it for any car you want to keep looking perfect.

if your mindset is ‘it’s a car, it gets dings’, then don’t bother. As for partials, seams will be noticed.

But all personal preference. Next car we get (a Y or another 3) will definitely be full wrapped.
thanks i don't think of this as just a car but an exceptional car. All my previous cars have been exceptional cars also in one way or another, but i have read many bad reports on the paint job that Tesla does...it has me concerned. Better to be proactive has always been my moto
thanks again

Reactions: boaterva
Yeah, forgot to mention I had major ‘scratches’ on my hood for the first time a couple of months ago that would have needed a complete repaint. With a bit of hand pressure it really did buff right out. Probably paid for half of the PPF wrap job right there.

Once you have a fully wrapped car, you’ll never go back. :D

Reactions: Corbets
look up the many threads on car wraps. there's a big difference between color change vinyl wraps and PPF (paint protection films). individual needs vary so it really depends on what you are looking to get out of different options. are you looking to change the color, protect the paint, make washing easier, etc.

i had my 3 wrapped last year. color change was 2500 and chrome delete was another 400. when we got the Xs, decided on not doing anything besides the twice/week car wash and plastipped chrome and so far so good. maybe color change again in the future but don't see an immediate need.

• Informative
Reactions: jerseygirl18
Also took delivery of white MX three weeks ago and am also driving 1k mi down I-95 FL next month. Day three after pick up, before too many bugs sacrificed themselves, I ran MX right down to Signature Detailing in Hillsboro to get the SunTek PPX clear bra. Initially, I was just going to do the nose. After seeing the Sentry keying videos, I had Greg do the four doors and back bumper. Came out to 3k. With a 10 year warranty and Greg's excellent craftsmanship, I thought it was $ well spent. Highly recommend Signature to anybody in the NJ /NY / PA area. Massive Tesla experience and and a flawless installation.

Also took delivery of white MX three weeks ago and am also driving 1k mi down I-95 FL next month. Day three after pick up, before too many bugs sacrificed themselves, I ran MX right down to Signature Detailing in Hillsboro to get the SunTek PPX clear bra. Initially, I was just going to do the nose. After seeing the Sentry keying videos, I had Greg do the four doors and back bumper. Came out to 3k. With a 10 year warranty and Greg's excellent craftsmanship, I thought it was $ well spent. Highly recommend Signature to anybody in the NJ /NY / PA area. Massive Tesla experience and and a flawless installation.
Are you saying The clear Bra, 4 doors & back bumper were $3,000? sounds a lot better than the $6,000 someone else paid...thanx & does the PPF prevent the key scratching doing any damage?

Correct, 3k + tax for everything but the hatch and rear fenders. Suggest anybody get theirs done before paint chips start happening to that rather blunt front end. Have not tried to key my own car, but before Signature Detailing did the wrap, he handed me piece of the material to hold while he tried to push his key through it. Did not puncture. It is some strong, surprisingly thick, stuff. I'm confident it'll hold up to kind of keying seen on these Sentry vids.

Correct, 3k + tax for everything but the hatch and rear fenders. Suggest anybody get theirs done before paint chips start happening to that rather blunt front end. Have not tried to key my own car, but before Signature Detailing did the wrap, he handed me piece of the material to hold while he tried to push his key through it. Did not puncture. It is some strong, surprisingly thick, stuff. I'm confident it'll hold up to kind of keying seen on these Sentry vids.
thanks so much...after writing you earlier i went to an appt & parked next to a j newish jeep suv that had 4 major rock chips in the door..SOLD me on the wrap!!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA