Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MX w/ shuddering at low speed and noise while turning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, this is my 1st Tesla MX 2020 and it's out of warranty. I'm new to Tesla, so please be patience with me. I've experienced some shuddering/ slight vibration on steering wheel and seat when accelerate at low speed. Also I'm getting a loud clicking noise when turning. It sounded like an axel problem in a nonEV.

I've read a bunch of threads that this is a common issue. I guess from the angle of joint in regards to the height of the car (high setting). I saw there are a few possible fix, but don't know which to proceed. I saw a lot post about adding n2intive kit 1 that would do the fix and another is having Tesla putting in 2nd Generation Half Shaft ($2500 from Tesla service). Some suggest putting car on low suspension (is it too late now since car experiencing these issues?)

Can someone point me to the right direction? Will spending $2500 with SC fix this permanently? Do I need to set it low after getting it fixed? Will it eats the interior tires faster bc of low setting? I've read that it comes back after a few thousand miles. If it will I'll make the sacrifice, but if there's cheaper and better alternatives please guide me.

Is the N2intive kit DIY job and if not how much typically? I've read good things about it and that setting it low won't after won't damage tires bc of the arm links. I'm so confused bc of all the research. Also, I'm hoping this issue is the same reason it cause the car to make a clicking noise while turning. Thank you in advance

BTW, the Tesla experience has been awesome. I love the car technology. I don't know why I waited so long to join this culture, but this shuddering issue is causing me stress bc I don't know much about this brand.

My experience has been with a 2017 X which may or may not be exactly relevant to your 2020.
I don't know if the 2nd Generation half shafts from Tesla is a permanent fix to the shudder and clicking issue. I am skeptical but you sould discuss that with the Service Center. Ask what warranty they provide with the new shafts. These CV axles normally last for years and years on other cars and most oftern fail only when the boots deteriorate and rip allowing lubricant to escape and dirt to enter.
On my car, the default suspension settings are standard (city driving) and automatically switching to low on the highway (to minimize the stress on the axles). Unfortunately, this aggravates the camber problem on the rear wheels and can result as you know in premature inner tire wear. Your car may behave differently.
I believe a positive first step is to take you car to an alignment shop (not Tesla) and have them take the readings in standard and low suspension heights. If you rear camber is is close to -0.70 at the low suspension settings you can most likely drive in low all the time without excess tire wear. If you haven't already, read N2itive's discussion on this. Driving in low will alleviate the front axle problems. Most likely your rear camber will be to great and consume tires. Both my son and I have X's. His car was really bad on the rear camber, mine not so bad. Every car seems to be a little different.
Prior to experiencing shudder issues, we installed N2itives kit on both our cars. Really quality components. Then we had our cars aligned at an independant alighment shop according to N2itives instructions with the cars in low. Our cars sit about 1.25 inches lower than standard.
Aside from looking "cool", this should reduce front axles problems and rear tire wear.
We installed the kits ourselves. Biggest problem is cutting the bolt on the toe arm that cannot be removed without dropping the rear module.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
My experience has been with a 2017 X which may or may not be exactly relevant to your 2020.
I don't know if the 2nd Generation half shafts from Tesla is a permanent fix to the shudder and clicking issue. I am skeptical but you sould discuss that with the Service Center. Ask what warranty they provide with the new shafts. These CV axles normally last for years and years on other cars and most oftern fail only when the boots deteriorate and rip allowing lubricant to escape and dirt to enter.
On my car, the default suspension settings are standard (city driving) and automatically switching to low on the highway (to minimize the stress on the axles). Unfortunately, this aggravates the camber problem on the rear wheels and can result as you know in premature inner tire wear. Your car may behave differently.
I believe a positive first step is to take you car to an alignment shop (not Tesla) and have them take the readings in standard and low suspension heights. If you rear camber is is close to -0.70 at the low suspension settings you can most likely drive in low all the time without excess tire wear. If you haven't already, read N2itive's discussion on this. Driving in low will alleviate the front axle problems. Most likely your rear camber will be to great and consume tires. Both my son and I have X's. His car was really bad on the rear camber, mine not so bad. Every car seems to be a little different.
Prior to experiencing shudder issues, we installed N2itives kit on both our cars. Really quality components. Then we had our cars aligned at an independant alighment shop according to N2itives instructions with the cars in low. Our cars sit about 1.25 inches lower than standard.
Aside from looking "cool", this should reduce front axles problems and rear tire wear.
We installed the kits ourselves. Biggest problem is cutting the bolt on the toe arm that cannot be removed without dropping the rear module.
Thank you Bob for the thorough explanation! I'm to the point that I just want to get rid of the car. I didn't expect it to be such a headache.

At this point, should I replace the half shaft and then do the N2intive? How do I know if the half shafts are bad? Is the clicking noise while turning and low vibration while accelerating means that they are bad and need replacement or it's just the common and can be left alone and just add n2intive? I would love to just save the money on the halft shaft and get the n2ntive only.

If my rear camper is -0.70 in low setting I don't need to install n2tive is that right Bob? Thank you for helping a Tesla newbie out Bob!

There is probably more discussion on the shudder issue in this forum than any other subject. Suggest you read around more on this forum. Particularly some posts have a reference to Tesla technical service bulletins on the subject including a new version of drive axles that are stronger. I agree totally that it is a frustrating issue. But solutions are available. It is a mechanical issue versus electronic or EV propulsion. I am not afraid to invest in the future of my car (current Tesla and previous ICE cars) as long as I was convinced that the repair/solution made sense and addressed the issue. My Tesla cost a lot of money so an additional investment didn't bother me.
I have read elsewhere on this forum that some CV axles were replaced at no or minimal cost to the owner. Can't explain it, you should discuss with your Service Center.
If you have a competent mechanic that you have used previously, I would be inclined to get an opinion from them on the health of your CV axles. All cars use this technology so a regular shop should be able to help you with a diagnosis.
If it was me, I would have the drive axles addressed then install the N2itive kit and have the car aligned using their specs at the riding height you prefer (keeping in mind that a lower riding height will improve the life of the front axles by reducing the angles). I acknowledge that this entails some expense but at the end of the day, you have a permanent solution to the shudder problem and rear inner tire wear. I now have complete and full enjoyment of my X.
I checked my alignment specs--pre N2itive--rear camber -2.02 in low and -1.38 in standard.
Depending on how much inner tire wear you are prepared to tolerate, you could defer the install of the adjustable camber and toe arms, depending on your alignment readings.
Or...... you could just off the car. I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are, and how much you otherwise like the car.
PS. As we get into this technology, no manufacturer will escape unforeseen issues.--Chev Bolt battery fire, Ford hybrid engine fire recall. I like the Tesla since it is a mechanical issue that can be dealt with.

There is probably more discussion on the shudder issue in this forum than any other subject. Suggest you read around more on this forum. Particularly some posts have a reference to Tesla technical service bulletins on the subject including a new version of drive axles that are stronger. I agree totally that it is a frustrating issue. But solutions are available. It is a mechanical issue versus electronic or EV propulsion. I am not afraid to invest in the future of my car (current Tesla and previous ICE cars) as long as I was convinced that the repair/solution made sense and addressed the issue. My Tesla cost a lot of money so an additional investment didn't bother me.
I have read elsewhere on this forum that some CV axles were replaced at no or minimal cost to the owner. Can't explain it, you should discuss with your Service Center.
If you have a competent mechanic that you have used previously, I would be inclined to get an opinion from them on the health of your CV axles. All cars use this technology so a regular shop should be able to help you with a diagnosis.
If it was me, I would have the drive axles addressed then install the N2itive kit and have the car aligned using their specs at the riding height you prefer (keeping in mind that a lower riding height will improve the life of the front axles by reducing the angles). I acknowledge that this entails some expense but at the end of the day, you have a permanent solution to the shudder problem and rear inner tire wear. I now have complete and full enjoyment of my X.
I checked my alignment specs--pre N2itive--rear camber -2.02 in low and -1.38 in standard.
Depending on how much inner tire wear you are prepared to tolerate, you could defer the install of the adjustable camber and toe arms, depending on your alignment readings.
Or...... you could just off the car. I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are, and how much you otherwise like the car.
PS. As we get into this technology, no manufacturer will escape unforeseen issues.--Chev Bolt battery fire, Ford hybrid engine fire recall. I like the Tesla since it is a mechanical issue that can be dealt with.
I truly appreciate you sharing your tips and experiences with the X. I did see some service bulletin about the shaft that I will try to mention to the SC tmrw when they're open. Hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to someone before my appointment. I appreciate your time and wisdom Bob.