TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wraps in GTA?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BillyBob99, Jun 24, 2016.

1. BillyBob99

BillyBob99 Member

S90D in transit - est arrival July 01-15

Any recommendations/experience with wrapping car in GTA area?
    Whole car or just front end?
    Does it protect against door paint damage when parked?
    Durability? Does it need re-wrapping?
    Any concerns re UV differences in colour if only part of car is wrapped.
    (I understand that the film confers additional UV protection)

Thanks

2. tsarlsy

tsarlsy Member

Are you talking about vinyl wraps or clear paint protection films (PPF) like XPEL?

If PPF, I looked at Advanced Automotive Film in Mississauga. They do great work there but I ended up just getting Opti-coat from the team he shares the shop with. At $5.5k+tax, it felt like I was "pre-paying" the cost of potential repairs.

3. BillyBob99

BillyBob99 Member

Is vinyl the one that comes in various colours?
    I was thinking of the clear - like XPEL or 3M - unless the vinyl conveys the same protection.
    Why did you decide on the Opti-coat?
    Either way seems pricey. Wonder how much it would cost to repaint a body panel

4. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

I bought some 3M Scotchgard Pro Series on eBay to wrap the hood and front bumper of my soon-to-be-delivered S. It's not cheap stuff -- $570 CAD shipped just for these two pieces. I'll be installing next week and posting my DIY findings. Stay tuned!

• Helpful x 1
  5. tsarlsy

tsarlsy Member

Yes, vinyl is the one with colours. I went with opti-coat because it was much cheaper ($750) and the never need to wax promise appealed to me. To be clear, it won't protect against stone chips and such.

6. Najeeb

Najeeb Member

RestyleIT in Vaughan is great. They use 3M. The PPF is much thicker and more protective than any wrap - and much more money.

I've had the 3M PPF on my car since new (full hood, frontal impact, doors, etc). I'd never want to drive without it.

I found it does help with minor touches from other car doors in parking lots.

7. BillyBob99

BillyBob99 Member

OK got my midnight silver P90D from Lawrence today!! Drove it home and will leave in garage until wrap decision
    Did some research. According to Xpel their Ultimate film allows UV to pass thru so protected & unprotected will age the same (How does this help those with full body wrap? - wouldn't they want reduced UV penetration?) If there will be a difference then vertical surfaces will be less evident than horizontal so a partial hood would be more noticeable than one that stops at the vertical door panels. 3M seems to be less expensive than Xpel - is there a difference?

However still some questions: What about longevity? Most reports indicate 5-10yrs and the longer it remains the more difficult it will be to remove. What is the cost of removal? Anyone wrap the windshield? Or cheaper just to replace windshield?

@rypalmer: How did the DIY go?

8. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

I wrapped the hood on day 2 of Model S ownership but I've driven 3,000km since and haven't had the chance to install more or file a proper report.

Long story short, there are numerous gotchas. Including hairy arms. It ended up going very well but it's not a professional job. I'm fine with the job we did though, and I hope the other pieces will go on easier since they are all considerably smaller. The hood was a rather large piece.

I can provide advice, dimensions, etc. While I'm on the road it might be easiest to call me. DM me if you're interested!