Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

XPEL or Opti Coat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Xpel put on the bumper and front 10 inches of the hood of one of my cars back in 2002 (around $450 total installed back then). When I sold it in 2011, it did an admirable job. Only one or two spots where a heavy rock left an indentation. I will definitely install the whole hood, front fenders and bumper on my Model 3 when it arrives.

I think all the important information has come out in prior posts. @XPEL's is particularly informative regarding coverage and pricing.

My personal experience is with a 2013 P85+. When I first received the car, I immediately had it done in Opticoat family products. Opticoat, Optiglass, Optiwhatever. Maybe $800 to do the whole car, done by a guy who was fanatical about first cleaning and "correcting" the paint. Car looked fantastic.

Then I had a partial wrap done -- Xpel, covering the front hood and doors. I did the wrap *over* the Opticoat, obviously. Back then, some people recommended doing it that way, others recommended applying the Opticoat over the Xpel. I think the recommendation today is to do it on top of the Xpel. But to me, it made more sense then (and still does now) to put the Opticoat onto the actual base panels first.

I quickly found that (a) the Xpel was a "life saver" and (b) I hadn't wrapped enough of the car. Cost me $1700 to fix a small scratch on a rear panel. Worse, it cost about a week of actual car down-time at the auto body shop... on top of a several week delay to get into the auto body shop in the first place.

So I went back to the Xpel guy (Jeff Orlinsky, Wheel DynamiX, Natick, MA) and had him wrap the rest of the car.

Compared to the estimated cost of repairs, I've saved a ton of money using Xpel. Say about $5K to wrap the entire car, plus small payments to peel various panels and replace with fresh Xpel after another mis-adventure, versus easily $8K-$10K in auto body work over a period of time. Peel-And-Replace is also very fast, usually an hour or two -- another major benefit.

Over the full 3 years I've had the car, I'd rate the Xpel as one of the best "investments" I made to protect the vehicle and lessen repair costs. When I buy my next S, perhaps in only a couple of months, I'll definitely do another full Xpel wrap. I may not bother with the Opticoat underneath, though, I'm not sure it's that valuable if you're going to wrap the entire car.

For a Model S starting at $65K-$75K, I'd recommend the wrap (full or partial).

For a top-end Model 3, I think I'd still recommend it.

For a model 3 at $35K.... well... I'd bet the full wrap is cheaper than an S because it's a smaller car, but I don't know how much cheaper. I'd probably still wrap it, but it might be a harder decision. Also, I might be swayed by whether the 3 turns out to be all-steel or maybe it turns out to have a lot of aluminum. Aluminum is still much more expensive to work with at an auto body shop than steel. The more aluminum in the visible portions of the model 3 body, the more I'd be inclined to pay for a wrap.

I hope you love your Model 3 -- I've ordered a couple for my family -- as much I have loved my S... these are great cars!

Alan

So let me ask this question. If a car is partially protected, either by XPEL or OptiCoat, and it does an amazing job for years, what happens when you go to take it off and find that the protected area is in noticeably better shape than the rest of the car. Don't you now have a condition mismatch (i.e. the front half of the car that was covered still looks great, but the back looks its age)? Doesn't that present problems of it's own for value and desirability?

So let me ask this question. If a car is partially protected, either by XPEL or OptiCoat, and it does an amazing job for years, what happens when you go to take it off and find that the protected area is in noticeably better shape than the rest of the car. Don't you now have a condition mismatch (i.e. the front half of the car that was covered still looks great, but the back looks its age)? Doesn't that present problems of it's own for value and desirability?
That is why I wrapped my whole car. It is more costly but I don't have to worry for years.

As for those who partial cover I think they figured they can recover and buff to smooth out the transistion and sell as is.

But I agree it is kind of pointless to cover only a small portion. Just pay to get it done right and call it a day. No worry no fuss. Partial cover reminds me of the those face mask for cars. Haven't seen them in a while.

I was wondering the same thing. If only wrapping a portion of the car, wouldn't the unwrapped portion parts of the car be a different color or tone than the wrapped potion? Part of me was thinking just getting the opti-coat on the whole car as I think it would be cheaper than wrapping the whole car with Xpel as $5k to $7k is a tough pill to swallow. I know opti-coat will not protect as well as Xpel, but it would make the car still look better than not doing anything, right?