Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yosemite SouthGate oakhurst to hetch hetchy and back in MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only 80 miles one way but I think there’s a lot of elevation and twists and turns. Car gets right at 300 full charge now. Planning to do it in a couple weeks so weather is cooler. Thanks for any tips!

Only 80 miles one way but I think there’s a lot of elevation and twists and turns. Car gets right at 300 full charge now. Planning to do it in a couple weeks so weather is cooler. Thanks for any tips!
I drove the east gate drive two days from Mammoth Lakes a couple of weeks ago leaving at 90% SOC each day and had 20% SOC remaining on return after 100+miles each way with at least 5000 feet elevation gain(and loss) each way. A Better Route Planner was much more conservative and insisted I use Mammoth SC to charge to 100% in order to make the trips. On board planner confirmed the trip was easily made with 90% (M3 LR). Even road work which had us wait about an hour each day didn't make a dent in range (why would it?!?). Many stops along the way for hikes and photos.

The only issue I had was that if you parked the car for sight seeing while in an area without connectivity (no cell service), The on board route planner didn‘t remember the route you had set and was unable to figure out a route to Mammoth Lakes while inside Yosemite - scary warnings about needing a charge to reach destination resulted - but cleared as soon as connectivity was restored. Once I remembered how many miles to reach Mammoth Lakes and checking the remaining range - no worries. Easy to ignore the warnings and do the math (with an appropriate cushion).

Hard to believe that the gas stations in or near Yosemite, limited as they are, haven’t installed EV chargers that would cost us many times what the cost of electricity is to take advantage of us formerly range anxious. Only a matter of time, I’m certain!

Reactions: alexcue and SJC3