Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yosemite trip during storm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will be traveling with my M3LR to Yosemite this coming Tuesday from LA. We will be staying in Yosemite Valley Lodge inside the valley. Looks like there are Level 2 chargers next to the Lodge, so that is good.
There will be rain and snow for our entire trip. My tires are all season and I have tire chains with me.
I'll change my setting to Chill mode for our trip.
Any other tips and suggestions on how to handle it.
Thanks.

Are your All Season tires M&S rated? If so, you will likely not need to put the chains on. If not, better practice putting chains on before you leave. We live just outside of the Park and do have proper winter tires on our M3LR during the winter. The current forecast indicated a few inches of snow in the next few days, but nothing major. Chances are that they will be able to keep the roads clear, you will need to carry the chains in any case, but hopefully not have to put them on. Last year in March we had 11 feet of snow in one storm (about 6 feet of compacted snow) and that was a whole different thing.

Yes, my tires are rated M&S but would put the chains on if its icy and slippery.
I'm planning on taking 140 hwy to Yosemite but not sure if I'll take 99 all the way to 140 or take 41 to Oakhurst then 49 to 140.

The M&S rating is important as you will not be required to put on chains if it is R2, but, of course, you can if you feel safer that way. HWY 140 is definitely the way to get to Yosemite in the winter as it follows the Merced Wild and Scenic River and does not involve the higher elevations that are involved in getting to the Valley via 41 or 120. The river should be spectacular now. But you seem to know all of this!

Reactions: utsug
And BTW, we now have Superchargers in Mariposa at Pioneer Market and at Yosemite View Lodge right before you enter the Park. Such an improvement from a year or so ago. The ones at Pioneer Market are never full it seems. (Except for a few ICE cars.)

Reactions: utsug