Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Tesla is a utility, not a possession.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DioBrando

May 13, 2016
Ma
Many people treat Elon Musk as if he is God's technocrat gift to earth. He has also stood on moral high ground claiming that his patents are 'open source'. When in actuality that was just for their proprietary 'superchager' network, of which the SAE is not using. The only way to really look at Tesla's designs are to live in MA where we have a right to repair act. Even then they make you pay a fee with a credit card to 'prove' your address is in MA.
Tesla Doesn't Want You to Work on Its Cars

I read a story the other day that finally put the nail in the coffin and made me realize one thing.

Tesla is selling a utility, not a possession.

Tesla Model S Owners Can Pay More To Unlock Their Full Battery

Now you can spend $3k to unlock 5kw of dead battery weight! Doesn't it feel great to 'upgrade your car'?

This is truly disgusting, locking behind hardware with closed proprietary software. Can you imagine if Apple released a base model iphone, and an iphone plus, but they were both identical hardware wise and the lower end iphone had all it's features and performance locked behind code?

Intel has already did this, making their low cost pentiums have the same architecture as the higher end stuff. Just lock it behind code.

Intel wants to charge $50 to unlock stuff your CPU can already do

This is a slippery slope. They already do a similar process where you have to pay $3k to enable autopilot features; despite the car already having all the hardware to do it.

I am curious what Tesla would do if someone released an open-source and free unlock. What are they going to sue you for, using something you paid for and own?