Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the “700m”, is that the number of vehicles of that type in the global fleet by 2030? What is that number?

Yes, that appears to be the fleet numbers: 1.44 billion vehicles across all listed categories. Today's fleet is ~2 billion, which Elon said autonomy can reduce to 70% of current, or ~1.4 billion.

What he DIDN'T say was what share of that 1.4 billion vehicles that Tesla intends to deliver. This leaves room for other automakers to expand their own EV production ('get with the program') or alternatively for Tesla to increase it's own annual production rate so that all 1.4 billion vehicles are EVs by 2050 (per Elon's goal).

Personally, I think this leaves ~200M ICE powered specialty/niche vehicles remaining in the fleet by 2050, which is okay so long as total fossil fuel consumption has dropped by 90% compared to 2005 emissions. That's a win (and potentially enough to avert climate disaster, if positive-feedback loops like melting permafrost do not surprise to the upside).

If krugerrand dislikes you it is a post worth reading. Sometimes it is correct...usually the OP has said something true but unflattering. You were correct. Like Tesla saying they were not battery constrained last year when it was a giant deception since they were as they later admitted- they have always been cell constrained.
I missed that … when did they admit they are still battery cell constrained?

Yes, I found the place after a couple of minutes looking around Santa Catarina in satellite view. It is indeed a (reasonably) sloped terrain.

25°42'15.2"N 100°34'14.4"W

View attachment 912934
Obviously not to scale - but my best guess based on the landmarks!

1677769162198.png

3.2m Sqft at a guess...although highly likely it is just indicative. They did say there would be 50% saving in floor space with Gen3 though!

Exciting times!

I should disagree with this because it fails to understand what they told us Gen 3 was;
It is a platform, with at least two specific vehicles based on the platform coming soon.
Those will have a 50% cost reduction compared with Model 3 IIRC. Once we all digest the information that was disclosed the significance of gen 3 becomes evident. That platform, they did not say, probably will have something akin to a single large pressing and a single additional structural battery that will carry the interior with it. That process could be high automated and vastly scalable. New versions on the platform could be quite varied with modest cost differences.

Bluntly, I am convinced this is the fruition of the old promised Mattel model Elon talked about a decade or so ago.

It looked more like it will be a front casting, rear casting, and structural battery/mid section. Each of which will be assembled individually, then mated together. Most of the body panels will already be painted and installed; front fenders, rear quarter-panels, etc. and the hinged parts; hood, doors will have been painted on a parallel track with the body modules (likely from the same paint batch) and installed after the modules are joined.

The graphics indicated the advantages of assembly workers being able to simultaneously work on all sides of each module and how this will speed up the process. i.e.: The graphic showed the dashboard being pre-assembled onto the front module; the rear seat was installed on the rear module; and the front seats, carpet, console are installed on the battery pack (as is being done on structural packs now).

Once these are joined there is minimal work needed inside performing contortionist moves and requiring complex robotic processes. This is very much what I believe is the "Highland" (nod to Ford's Highland Park) processing of the manufacturing, so as to revolutionize the assembly line in a way only Tesla's brain trust could conceive of.

This appears to not be the one-piece "Mattel" like single casting model, yet will still maximize time and effort to reduce assembly time while meeting that objective. Doing a single-casting would significantly increase the time needed to accomplish all the "inside" work and could very likely slow down the overall production rate, thus negating any advantages.

Last edited:
Honestly tho, who uses a sun roof besides the first few days? It's the root cause for creeks and leaks but provide near zero value the customer pays for.
I really appreciate and use my Benz CLK350 sunroof: slightly open, a deflector pops up and while in motion it provides a nice outgoing breeze on warm days. Other than that, yes I don't use it much.
Gotta give it to the Benz pre 2009: they really perfected the state of the art for the time. Even had the perfect good sense to save Tesla from bankruptcy that 2008 year, w/ EV contract.

The event was straightforward and kind of boring if one was expecting a new product reveal. What stood out to me and was a MAJOR improvement is Elon NOT doing all of the talking. I noticed he is bringing on stage the engineers that designed and know the subject better than him and let them shine. Smart move.

Game recognizes game, and potential future Tesla engineers and engineers at competing companies would have been impressed.

- Gorgeous team breadth and depth. Hired for ability to get it done within a well-aligned culture, not any other criteria. (Well, one exception).

- The overall scale of the global energy transformation was very much in line with the same models I've built, giving much the same results. (I put more of my results on the Resource Angle thread) : The Resource Angle . Lovely to see that Tesla is still aiming for it. Nice to see that they come up with the same financial answer I do, i.e. winding down the fossil economy ongoing costs pays for the buildout of the renewable economy.

- (Anybody fancy a 10-year short on fossils ? 20-year ? How are pension funds feeling ? They have no excuse for not paying attention to this stuff now)

- Musk clearly doesn't consider V2G to be very beneficial. I think the same way. Nevertheless grudgingly it will get done, one day, perhaps. Almost certainly not as a retrofit. Most likely only for locations with a Tesla Powerwall as a minimum.

- Look at the bulk of that inductive charging pad in the sneak preview shot (the one alongside the shot of the Tesla cafe, with the red car in a garage). That is a clear signal that at present this could only be considered as a unidirectional link. Again another reason not to rush on V2G.

- PMG with sufficient torque that is not rare earth neos ? Tell me more. Something was in that slot. Is this the return of Ferrite2 ? Or what ?

- Gen 3 will be a 2/Z at least, because it is clear that it will have multiple models off the common manufacturing platform. Loads of good stuff about the design target for Gen 3. Perfect.

- They can't release a 2/Z now because they are cell-supply-limited. The extra 4680 capacity coming out of the Austin lines has to feed the progressive ramp of the Y there. But phew at least they are now on DBE, confirmed. The 4680 ramp is proceeding, not great, but not trainwreck bad either. The extra LFP coming out of China needs to feed the ramp of Berlin. And by late 2023 they need sufficient additional 4680 capacity to feed the ramp of the Cybertruck. And the ramp of Sparks will feed the Semi ramp, and the Megapack ramp (because otherwise they are nolonger a serious player in utility, and they've got to stay with the market). So there is no spare cell capacity for a 2/Z. So this year 2023 they are cell-constrained, hence only the blurt target of 2m. It is still all about cells.

- Cell material doesn't seem to be a huge concern. Enough of a concern that they are reaching through and doing work. But under control. Phew.

- It is possible that Monterrey will be the first factory to go with 2/Z, at least that's my guess. That gives 18-months from now for the cell supply to get just about enough ahead of the coming demand so as to allow for initial production of the 2/Z. I suspect we'll get leaks starting in about 6-months, then perhaps a reveal in 9-months. So first production during Q4-2024.

- Is paint control now good enough to paint separately and still get a match ? Or are they going unpainted ? (@unk45 ?)

- Tesla Energy as a service will, like insurance, be a very slow and progressive and hugely patchy build out. For much the same reasons - regulatory compliance and an abundance of caution.

- Stationary storage is going to be big, but I don't need convincing on the scale aspect of that. However no special sauce observed that is not available in the other products in the market. So no reason to think margins will be anything particularly special. Demand far greater than supply - again I don't need telling that - everyone outside USA who wants a Powerwall is well aware.

I've given up and gone SolarEdge (in fact we mount 30kWh today, hopefully and go live. The corresponding solar went live a couple months ago but we've all been too busy to do the storage until today). So Tesla will in due course need to find a way to play nicely with my SolarEdge storage or I ain't going to be a Tesla Energy customer. (So Daily Energy News will likely be late today, prob this evening).

- Lots of good info on Supercharger network. I need to mine the data on those slides a bit to get some calibration into my models.

- Relentless focus on driving down cost whilst increasing performance, both internally and externally. I love it. Means FCF pays for the build-out.

- FSD still on track, but no timeline. No HW4 mention, or did I miss that ?

- Optimus bot making seemingly good progress. That will indeed be very big one day.

- WTF was that lady on about.

- Now time for me to go install some storage :)
In terms of storage, I agree with retail side 100%. But for mega packs there is a premium on reliability and service level, which will make mega packs stand out vs other offerings.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Since Elon mentioned vans previously and that’s the biggest segment they’ve talked about, I think van makes sense.

But from a consumer perspective, there is a lot of demand for large SUVs which are sort of like crappy, inefficient vans. So it might be something more SUV like?
Personally, I would love to see Tesla make a van similar to the Canoo Lifestyle Vehicle based on the Gen 3 platform and I think that's what's under the cover. Can also be used for the RoboTaxi (eventually).

IMHO that Canoo is one trick little rig. Here's their site:

Use mine on my 2013 S all the time as weather allows. Will miss it when I move on as well...
Yeah, I wished I could have used mine more on my Signature S, but I wonder if that was a lot of people's experiences. Living in Manitoba with almost 6 months of cold weather reduced my usage for sure. I'd love to see their numbers - it's a MASSIVE edge for Tesla to get real life data and not have to rely on polls or "common sense" about features.

We know that what people say/believe they want/need is often disconnected to how we actually behave (at least for the majority of humans). I thought it would be something others would use all of the time but I guess my perception was off.

I suspect (without evidence) Tesla has discovered new assembly process control that allows change in the time honored 100 year old paint shop sequences. Matching, FWIW, is not now an impediment, rather a bit of a red herring.
Matched paint and new process could pave the way for improved service and spare body parts (auto... not arms and legs). Our $1200 hatch cost $10K after paint and part swapping was complete. Should-cost is maybe $1,500 installed. If they own the insurance, this is needed.

The event was straightforward and kind of boring if one was expecting a new product reveal. What stood out to me and was a MAJOR improvement is Elon NOT doing all of the talking. I noticed he is bringing on stage the engineers that designed and know the subject better than him and let them shine. Smart move.

Game recognizes game, and potential future Tesla engineers and engineers at competing companies would have been impressed.
I'm sure oil companies, LNG companies, exxon, etc were paying attention. Seeing that is actually possible to pivot away from oil and gas is detrimental to their business. Seeing that there is math behind it, and can be done cheaply is notable. Just me but large algorithmic trading by companies whose entire product and business model is about to be made obsolete is going to use capital markets to work very hard to hold TSLA down. Yesterday's goal was to change ALL energy for the earth to solar and wind with batteries...

Yeah feels like a great recruiting tool for engineers to show that you can be up there presenting at a major event alongside Elon, and that they're willing to allow you to present even if you're not a great speaker.