Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(emphasis mine)

Minor clarification: Typically, the "range" of an EV is considered the distance it can travel on a single charge.

Those 700+ trips that @GhostSkater originally posted were all with charging stops:

View attachment 978117
You are correct. I do think that in the context of commercial trucking, it makes sense to track a parellel "daily range" metrics... Though until megachargers are ubiquitous it's obviously a 'max potential' stat. And it's important to distinguish between the two.

The interesting part of commercial truck driving is that they potentially have charging availadle while they unload/reload - from a pragmatic standpoint (when comparing to fossil fuel trucking) the relative inconvenience of lower "epa range" is mitigated.

On specific routes, EV's may even have a fueling advantage (if both ends of the route have megachargers integrated into the loading docks, and the distance is less than 'single charge range') - if you can recover the route distance range during the loading time, you end up never having to waste time only refueling. Time is money, and that's the metric that matters most in the end to commercial entities.

Although looking at estimated Tesla Semi prices after rebates and fuel costs, its already a no-brainer. Tesla just needs production in order to take over the sector...

I honestly think that's a reasonable estimate by Gary.
Why would he be forecasting lower S/X deliveries this quarter? I think demand has lowered for S/X the past few quarters due to high interest rates and the economic environment...but when Tesla significantly lowered prices on S/X (particularly to make the tax break limit), I'm seeing that Tesla filled out their S/X production pipeline well into Q4...and inventory has dropped like a rock.

I think S/X deliveries will be higher this Q.

You are correct. I do think that in the context of commercial trucking, it makes sense to track a parellel "daily range" metrics... Though until megachargers are ubiquitous it's obviously a 'max potential' stat. And it's important to distinguish between the two.

The interesting part of commercial truck driving is that they potentially have charging availadle while they unload/reload - from a pragmatic standpoint (when comparing to fossil fuel trucking) the relative inconvenience of lower "epa range" is mitigated.

On specific routes, EV's may even have a fueling advantage (if both ends of the route have megachargers integrated into the loading docks, and the distance is less than 'single charge range') - if you can recover the route distance range during the loading time, you end up never having to waste time only refueling. Time is money, and that's the metric that matters most in the end to commercial entities.

Although looking at estimated Tesla Semi prices after rebates and fuel costs, its already a no-brainer. Tesla just needs production in order to take over the sector...
I agree that one of the key metrics of value for a semi is the practical daily distance it's capable of travelling, all consdierations included.

Perhaps that's a useful differentiator in phrasing: "daily distance".

Reactions: KBF
Yeah aside from charging the trucks almost don't stop moving for 24hrs on these high-mileage days, they're clearing using a team of at least two people.

There are other dynamics to consider here as well, like the high-mileage days requiring a start at full charge and that means high-mileage days don't happen consecutively. So you can get 700 or even 1000 miles in a single 24 hour period, but it will be bookended by lower mileage days to charge the truck to full prior to the big mileage day and then drain it down to empty to squeeze in those miles meaning the next 24 hour period begins with a long charge.
Which is pretty much the way Class 8 trucks are used. Strawman argument.

Of the few that I did rough calcs on based on mouse-pointer-hovering (to get the SoC values) most looked to be within spitting distance of the 500 mile range, and most seemed to have some >55MPH segments in the trip... so I think the range rating is reasonably legit in real world scenarios...

Yeah, but I wanted to get all the data points and specially the speed, might give us way more info on how efficiency is affected and to extrapolate to higher speeds which truckers drive in other states

Yeah aside from charging the trucks almost don't stop moving for 24hrs on these high-mileage days, they're clearing using a team of at least two people.

There are other dynamics to consider here as well, like the high-mileage days requiring a start at full charge and that means high-mileage days don't happen consecutively. So you can get 700 or even 1000 miles in a single 24 hour period, but it will be bookended by lower mileage days to charge the truck to full prior to the big mileage day and then drain it down to empty to squeeze in those miles meaning the next 24 hour period begins with a long charge.

If there is access to fast charging, There is nothing that says high mileage requires a start with full charge or that you can’t have high mileage on consecutive days.

They could have allocated the 24 hour period to charging or driving as they saw fit.
You could start a day at 30% charge and still achieve high mileage.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Gary's model derives almost all of TSLA's valuation from the sale of cars. Elon thinks that almost all of TSLA's valuation comes from AI and robotics. One of them is wrong ... and not by a little bit. (Guess who I think is right.)

I think Gary wants to own TSLA for the AI and robotics but doesn't want to admit it. He has clients who would leave him (and conservative value buddies who would think he's crazy) if he says that he believes Elon's claims about Robotaxi and Bot. So, instead, he bakes enough value into the car business to justify owning the shares on that basis alone.
Sure, but both are ignoring Tesla Energy which is on trajectory to be larger than auto, perhaps with less robust margins, although recent results suggest even that may be too pessimistic. The combination of:
- VPP (Virtual Power Plant) with licenses existing in EU, UK, Texas and elsewhere/subsets of these in several places;
-servicing fees for utility-level and other Megapack installations;
That also ignores:
- all the other subscription revenue from everything form Premium Connectivity to FSD;
-rapidly growing Supercharger revenue from non-Tesla and Tesla uses.
I choose to ignore Robotics and RoboTaxi because there is no justifiable way to establish timing or even revenues. No matter the probable future value, I only choose to value that which can be assessed today.

Beyond those items it is clear that very few analysts, including the bulls, can really understand the Tesla manufacturing and logistics advantages. Historically that was a major impediment for APPL and AMZN among many others. The inertia built on traditional thinking about market shares, manufacturing efficiency and distribution excellence all contribute to a serious inability to observe actual changes when it happens. With TSLA that is exacerbated by the power of 120 years worth of evolution built on Fire and Ice. ok, explosions, not really fire.

The positive cash flow in growth is also largely ignored and virtually never valued, probably because it is unprecedented. Realistically, unprecedented things face heavy resistence. Simply understanding TSLA positive cash flow explains how they have negligible leverage which in turn explains how TSLA has enormous resilience to anything adverse.

We'd send far less time aimlessly bleating about quarterly sales and/or production were we to really see TSLA as the value stock champion that it really is.
Making TSLA a 'story stock' really exacerbates volatility and has zero intrinsic value.

Must
Get
Under
Call Wall...
You rang???

1696006946521.png

If refilling while unloading/loading is a big savings, what would stop the company from having a bulk fuel truck pumping diesel into it under the same circumstances?

• Love
Reactions: TN Mtn Man
If refilling while unloading/loading is a big savings, what would stop the company from having a bulk fuel truck pumping diesel into it under the same circumstances?
Cost (there would need to be a metre), space restrictions, incompatible connections, safety (this last is probably the main consideration)

Safety, regulations and cost. There are pretty tight regulations around diesel and gas (at least in Canada). You generally can't have a gas station just anywhere, and it stinks (and is flammable), which you generally don't want toxic fumes around loading zones.

Bulk fuel trucks also cost a lot of fuel to drive around, rendering them pretty inefficient to begin with... And you'd have to pay that driver.

Not saying its going to be massive savings, but it is potentially an advantage that most don't think about because they're used to the inconvenience of taking a separate trip to a gas station.

All to say, to keep it on track, is that once again Tesla's products make financial sense, above and beyond competitors, and their 'demand problem' remains trying to increase production to meet that high demand.

Cheers to the Longs!

In many individual weeks of trading, we see traders load up with Puts early in the week, then drive Friday's Close lower (on scant or no news) to cash out. This week has seen the opposite, now with traders working hard to breach the tall 'Call-Wall' at $250 (either case is short-term trading, and won't matter in the long run).

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-09-29.15-00.png

Today is also an End-of-Quarter "Window Dressing" day, but we won't know for sure until @Curt Renz speaks up! ;)

Cheers to the Longs!

I guess that will be true for non-Teslas, but most charging stops in a Tesla are around 15 minutes--barely enough time for a pit stop and to get a drink. Eating at a restaurant or watching a movie takes much longer. I don't see it in the artist's renditions, but there had better be a lot of non-charging or L2 charging stalls to accommodate the restaurant and movie (or there will be a lot of idle fees).
OT
@jerry33
The supercharger at Lumberton, North Carolina, USA has a 150kw charger (slower)
come in close to empty
set charge limit at 100%
The sign next to charger says "20% discount at ****** steak place for Tesla chargers"
leasurely lunch or dinner due to taper nearing 100%