Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Unboxed" Gen 3 manufacturing Process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you he specifically said “Roadster” motors sent to Sparks and China. I didn’t ask him to clarify if he meant legacy Roadster or Roadster 2.0, as I assume/d TESLA hasn’t built any legacy Roadsters (i.e. on Lotus Elise gliders) for years and years now—nor is TESLA building parts (I assume) for legacy Roadster either. Can’t see TESLA employing whole teams to build 40-50 drive units for legacy Roadsters. Who knows, maybe management is employing disinformation by telling employees that is what the drive units are for, or perhaps “Roadster 2.0” is stamped right on them. I dunno…🤷🏻‍♂️ He definitely did not say anything about “Plaid”.

Interesting article on the unboxing manufacturing process.

Includes quotes from several manufacturing and assembly experts, including Cori Steuben from Munto.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Ipcress
It makes total sense for the unboxed process

No cooling and HV line running to the back of the vehicle, everything other than the battery pack are contained on the front module, motor, gear reduction, radiator, heat pump, octavalve or whatever else they use LV battery if that is there still, infotainment, steering motor, display

Almost everything that matter will be on the front module

And it allows it for a even bigger under trunk space since there won't be a motor there, and that counts when designing something more compact, add storage space while you shrink it

Only connection to other modules is low voltage, even the brakes with the brake by wire on the rear that also is a must for the unboxed process

I agree that Optimus won't replace Kuka directly in the near term. However, gigacastings have already halved? the number of Kuka/ABB robots. Unboxed will surely remove a lot more.

Tesla will surprise folk how quickly the lines can be built and ramped. Not having Kuka/ABB robots to setup is huge. No big outlay, no concrete pads, no precision placement, no software to write and rewrite, no cages, humans can make changes whilst line is running etc.

A video featuring Dr Know It All & his robot production line expert (name escapes me) took a concrete example of feeding a couple of machines in Tesla Shanghai, good example because human operator got ahead of themself, entered an exclusion/safety zone a bit early and had to reset safety system/restart. How many of these jobs? Rate of progress leads to slightly harder jobs being replaced. Once learned in one station/factory, easily adopted by others.

Interesting look inside giga Shanghai. The audio is in Chinese. I didn't understand any of it, but it shows a lot of different parts of the factory in action and I thought the background hum of the factory was cool.

Watching this shows you the huge opportunity that Tesla has to make improvements with unboxed. Lots of people and equipment still.

Reactions: Chunky Jr.
The inital presentation used a Model Y CAD model for illustration. Having the front, rear, and rockers as one unit still allows parallel assembly and painting of the rest of the car. It would make interior access more difficult, but if the dash itself is a pre-assembled unit, that impact is minimal. They could even use fixturing with rocker recesses to create a flat work surface (though that doesn't help with vertical positioning).

Single piece lower frame removes frame misalignment/ tolerance issues also.

LK Machinery is introducing their 16k ton Die-casting machine either today or tomorrow (unsure of what timezone Edward Tse is in). What could a 16k ton be used for? Who do you think would make use of it?

View attachment 985133
Presumably not for gen 3 as it would contradict unboxed.

IMG_4671.jpeg

From Ft paywalled
Toyota takes on Tesla’s gigacasting in battle for carmaking’s future

Having more people working in parallel means workers' time is more efficiently used.
I call BS. It doesn't matter if you do task X and I do task Y on the same car at the same time or we do it on two different cars at the same time. It's still the same amount of time per task. Efficiency is the same. If unboxing allows individual tasks to be faster thanks to better access or something that helps. But parallel by itself doesn't buy you anything.