Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

‘18 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD White with Premium Black Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Standard TMC practice is lowball, troll and disrupt sales. It’s highly disapointing.

Glad to hear real world market is showing up to course correct. Maybe TMC will get better, there are only a few bad apples.

Grats on your sale OP and others :)

$500 above what carmax and other vendors offered is pretty fair. How much were you were asking for on your vehicle? Don't think TMC has bad apples, just realistic pricing and apples to apples comparison.

There were no cars on the used Tesla to compare to. It was just about tax credit up front, save $2k, get free tint and the extras... And.. going to assume lower documentation price for the annual renewals savings. Many TMC offered $40k as OP posted. So, I'd say the offers were majority fair. For CA buyers, it made no sense due to the extra tax credits we would get.

OP, how did you sell it? TMC buyer or from another site?

Private market is different than the dealer black book, trade in, auction, whatever name of the month you/they want to call it. CarMax and other vendors do not offer good values, nor do any dealers, unless it’s a pass through and they’re making money on both sides or the long game customer.

It’s not apples to apples and a member or private seller should be able to ask the moon without the wrath of dealers, trolls and low ballers. People should not expect or flame a private seller into lowering prices. Obviously the OP was spot on, though most flamed and trolled. E.G. Standard TMC.

As a community we should be better than that, as most other high end forums are better than that and don’t tolerate such business.

If people want to discuss price or offer, they should do so via private discussion.

Glad you made your sale OP.

Private market is different than the dealer black book, trade in, auction, whatever name of the month you/they want to call it. CarMax and other vendors do not offer good values, nor do any dealers, unless it’s a pass through and they’re making money on both sides or the long game customer.

It’s not apples to apples and a member or private seller should be able to ask the moon without the wrath of dealers, trolls and low ballers. People should not expect or flame a private seller into lowering prices. Obviously the OP was spot on, though most flamed and trolled. E.G. Standard TMC.

As a community we should be better than that, as most other high end forums are better than that and don’t tolerate such business.

If people want to discuss price or offer, they should do so via private discussion.

Glad you made your sale OP.

Agree on the dealer offers, but keep in mind you would used that as a gauge to price. OP got $500 more than the dealer offer which was a fair price. It wasnt $10k+ what the dealer offered. And I'd doubt anybody in their right mind would pay more than KBB for this vehicle.

Yea, they'll be lowballers.. but majority would be fair buyers looking for a private party sale at a fair price.

Tesla's or even the P's versions arent rare cars that you'll need 6speed or rennlist to find specialty buyers. They are a dime a dozen that have tons for sale on cars.com and the tesla used site.
I had my 997tt last of 6speeds listed on 6speed. Kbb was $56k, carmax was $57.xk.. I ended up selling to a 6speeder for $78k. You can argue, well kbb was $56k, how'd I get $22k more. My answer.. find a other clean title, no accidents, White on black 6 speed manual turbo with 28k miles and Ill match it.

Different cars and different markets. But expecting a premium price on a mass produced car. Good luck....

To each their own, but price it accurately and It'd sell.

Look at the above post for a 2016 ap2 90d. Priced extremely well. Too low IMO.

Reactions: Cheburashka
$500 over a dealer lowball is still a lowball, to which a dealer would mark up excessively. Arguably over $10K. And if it didn’t sell, they’d still auction for profit.

It’s highway robery, and unless you’re a dealer, it makes no sense to defend. And, it should not be used to destroy the private Tesla market so we all trade in or sell at auction prices to dealer cronies who have sold their souls.

It should not be used against others to destroy their for sale threads. This forum is literally the worst I’ve seen with regard to dealers, flippers and trolls who predominantly go unchecked.

Those that are checked, make defensive posts about their actions and try to rationalize it so nobody else catches on. Pretty ridiculous to say the least.

$500 above what carmax and other vendors offered is pretty fair. How much were you were asking for on your vehicle? Don't think TMC has bad apples, just realistic pricing and apples to apples comparison.

There were no cars on the used Tesla to compare to. It was just about tax credit up front, save $2k, get free tint and the extras... And.. going to assume lower documentation price for the annual renewals savings. Many TMC offered $40k as OP posted. So, I'd say the offers were majority fair. For CA buyers, it made no sense due to the extra tax credits we would get.

OP, how did you sell it? TMC buyer or from another site?

I had it listed on multiple sites, but ultimately he found it on Autotrader.

Happy to say, we picked up our new car today and I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park.

$500 over a dealer lowball is still a lowball, to which a dealer would mark up excessively. Arguably over $10K. And if it didn’t sell, they’d still auction for profit.

It’s highway robery, and unless you’re a dealer, it makes no sense to defend. And, it should not be used to destroy the private Tesla market so we all trade in or sell at auction prices to dealer cronies who have sold their souls.

It should not be used against others to destroy their for sale threads. This forum is literally the worst I’ve seen with regard to dealers, flippers and trolls who predominantly go unchecked.

Those that are checked, make defensive posts about their actions and try to rationalize it so nobody else catches on. Pretty ridiculous to say the least.

I get what you are saying. In most cases, people are playing devils advocate to help the buyers out. Vice versa for the sellers.

Great example on the post listing FS Late '16 S90D AP 2.0 35k miles asking 60k OBO. That is a serious thread with tons of support. No trolls, but respones on the car and the very fair price.

If tesla used direct, other stealers are priced better than a private sale... Then expect to be bombarded with negative comments on the price. Your car can be flawless, never driven in rain, touched by Elon Musk himself, etc... But that's not the majority targeted buyer on this forum. People come here for good advice and opinions to help them make a decision.

People on this forum are helping others look out for decent deals on a Tesla. Look at the many posts referencing links to deals Tesla used comes up with.

If you want your car sold, it all comes down to a fair price; if you want to use the forum. You don't see the Stealers advertising their cars on here do you? Well, maybe there are restrictions or sponsorship requirements. But, you'll see people link various for sale on at stealerships if the market price is fair.

I am very interested to see how your sale goes. It'll make a few potential sellers interested to sell if you got the price your were asking.

In most cases, people are playing devils advocate to help the buyers out...

... If you want your car sold, it all comes down to a fair price; if you want to use the forum. You don't see the Stealers advertising their cars on here do you? Well, maybe there are restrictions or sponsorship requirements. But, you'll see people link various for sale on at stealerships if the market price is fair.

This is right out.

Not everyone is in CA and gets the $2500. Car was sold to a gentleman from Nevada in my case. Picked it up this afternoon. The kid (late 20’s) didn’t want to wait until next year to get the $3750 back from fed. He had X amount ready to go and wanted to pay cash for his car.

Smooth easy transaction and he drove off into the sunset happy.
Had the same type of scenario when I sold my BMW, late 20’s, cash buyer. Turns out he was in the cannibis growing business and had plenty of cash. In their case, tax rebate was irrelevant :). Not saying that was the case for socaljimmy, but lots of similarities.